• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England EPS 2017/18 edition.

I really do think it's time for English rugby to move on from Manu Tuilagi. The 2 most memorable moments of his recent spell of being fit were getting kicked out of the England training camp & butchering a simple try v Bath by going for the line himself instead of passing the ball. That performance against New Zealand was nearly 5 years ago & it feels like he's still living off it.

Manu is one of those players whose always got potential because of his physical attributes but fitness hasn't allowed him to work on the little skills that would have made him world class. I have a feeling he may have to retire or risk long term damage to his joints etc.

I really do think it's time for English rugby to move on from Manu Tuilagi. The 2 most memorable moments of his recent spell of being fit were getting kicked out of the England training camp & butchering a simple try v Bath by going for the line himself instead of passing the ball. That performance against New Zealand was nearly 5 years ago & it feels like he's still living off it.

I mean English Rugby has moved on from Manu really not like we are desperate for 13 currently.

To give him credit the period he was fit he was amazing not just that NZ game not like it was a one off.

I mean English Rugby has moved on from Manu really not like we are desperate for 13 currently.

To give him credit the period he was fit he was amazing not just that NZ game not like it was a one off.

I agree. I think by and large, we have 'moved on'. We don't need him, but a fit and in form Tuilagi is a world beater and as long as there's hope of that happening, he'll be in the conversation.

I think when news articles get written bout him is a bit like Chris Ashton, England Rugby and rugby fans have moved on in terms of hoping he'll be fit again but the public a large only know a few names and they are some of them so they'll always write about them when anything happens.

I'd like Tuilagi to be properly fit again and a come back to last longer than a few months but I'm years past thinking it will happen and generally just make jokes every time he does come back about how long until he'll be injured again.

TBH I don' tthink a fit and in form Manu would be the current starter for England anyway; JJ brings as much threat with the ball in hand (albeit a completely different threat), whilst their defensive offerings are night and day. That said; he'd be a scary prospect to defend coming off the bench with 25 minutes to go and not having to hold anything back.

I really do hope he does get back fit; but I have a feeling that he be best going down the Jonny Wilkinson route - possibly including haing a few lengthy chats with Jonny as well; and heading to a T14 where he'll be in less of a goldfish bowl, his off-pitch antics won't be making the press, and the training is less intense

On a different note, Max Clark at Bath looked good at the tail end of last year and against Tigers. He is still young and also potentially could play for Wales. Looks like he could be a decent prospect for England at 12, plus it would allow a club pairing in the midfield.

I guess I mean more the media & the fans than the actual squad itself. There's always a bit of hysteria when he's fit again & then it ends abruptly when he gets injured or disciplined. Same story for years now!

Keeping an eye on EPS available players the first few match weekends, esp some of the younger players

Marchant and Smith at Quins have looked pretty decent, would like to see them in the EPS. No sign of Underhill at Bath yet, but he might of rolled an ankle in training but I'm not 100% sure. Ewels hasn't played yet either this season, no idea if he's got an injury. Sale and the Curry brothers are hard to judge. Tough game for Sale at Wasps then a poor performance up front vs Newcastle. Need Sale to front up more to get more out of the Curry bro's.

Mallinder looked good in the highlights real for Northampton, is he a 10? He's show good hands and is a big lad, but I know there is also a lot of dislike of him. Is it his face ;) ?

Don't real need to discuss some of the regular players. All looking decent enough.

May's finishing has looked very good.....3 in 2.

On Manu. The Eng backs have pace, work rate, skill and tactical nous, but they don't have power. Whether it's Manu, Te'o, Cokanasiga or whoever, we need someone behind the scrum who can break tackles and create something out of nothing. All about balance and Eddie may consider that to be the missing piece in the jigsaw.

No sign of Underhill at Bath yet, but he might of rolled an ankle in training but I'm not 100% sure. Ewels hasn't played yet either this season, no idea if he's got an injury.
Underhill sprained his ankle in pre-season and missed the first match - I believe he was "fit for selection" but not 100% for match 2 - not to mention that it would b=have been very harsh to drop anyone after that Leicester display - even harsher after Sarries; though the new injuries will allow plenty of change.
Ewels hurt himself during the England training camp in August; heel/achilles IIRC.
Chances are that both of them will get an A-league match to prove fitness in... other injuries allowing.

May's finishing has looked very good.....3 in 2.

On Manu. The Eng backs have pace, work rate, skill and tactical nous, but they don't have power. Whether it's Manu, Te'o, Cokanasiga or whoever, we need someone behind the scrum who can break tackles and create something out of nothing. All about balance and Eddie may consider that to be the missing piece in the jigsaw.

Mays finish at the weekend was class..

And agreed about the Eng backs, it's the only thing missing. Cokanasiga hasn't played yet this season (Ojo & Lewington have) but he might be injured also. Would love a fit Manu :( Te'o is injured also. Not sure who else we have for carrying ability in the backs? Hill at Chiefs at one point. Max Clark? Any potential there?

Don't agree about English backs I don't think we need a lump unless it is proven he can pass and distribute. Our attacking potency comes from Ford and Farrells ability to create space for players to run through and we have the backs with the speed and footwork to get the most out that oppertiniuty. Someone looking for contact and bulldozing through we have forwards who can do that, I don't want to back to the days where the back three rarely saw the ball as that's where the attacking threat really lies. Now that Brown has remember to pass the ball (still would prefer Watson) I don't want to see it happen with different player.

Don't agree about English backs I don't think we need a lump unless it is proven he can pass and distribute. Our attacking potency comes from Ford and Farrells ability to create space for players to run through and we have the backs with the speed and footwork to get the most out that oppertiniuty. Someone looking for contact and bulldozing through we have forwards who can do that, I don't want to back to the days where the back three rarely saw the ball as that's where the attacking threat really lies. Now that Brown has remember to pass the ball (still would prefer Watson) I don't want to see it happen with different player.

Fully agree that we want our back 3 in play, esp with Watson at 15. Also agree that we don't want a Basteraud, but I wouldn't mind an SBW. With strung out rugby league style defences I'd argue that someone who can break the line and get the team behind the defence is even more important than ever. It gives us another option and the opposition something else to think about.

And apart from Billy, we don't actually have many yard making bulldozers in the pack.

Aye - a physical player =/= a crowbar.

Watson going to FB will hopefully allow us to bring in a slightly more physical winger. Earle, is who I'm hoping for.

Cokanasiga is injured currently, nothing too serious, I don't think. I'm sure we'll see him soon.

Although Earle hasn't had the best of starts on the wing IMO.

Can't see him playing much once Williams is in the picture.

15 of the just announced England u18 squad are from the Sale academy o_O

Must be pretty crappy to be one of our few u18s players not to make the cut haha

15 of the just announced England u18 squad are from the Sale academy o_O

Must be pretty crappy to be one of our few u18s players not to make the cut haha

i mean it's the training camp rather than the actual squad, it's a pretty large squad usually.

i mean it's the training camp rather than the actual squad, it's a pretty large squad usually.
You're just saying that because we battered you over the summer, along with the Irish province academies

Also 15 is still a record, so stop trying to rain on my parade

Latest posts