• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England EPS 2017/18 edition.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41227037

Media on the Roko bandwagon, I think they are a year too late TBH. His defensive frailties were shown up a lot for Bath last season it was almost like EJ got in his head and he started screwing up more. AI's will be too early but if he doesn't make the mistakes he made last season up to going into the 6N I could see myself riding the Roko train again.

It's almost a shame brown played so well in Argentina because Watson moving to 15 full time during the AIs would leave a wing spot open, or at least open the door for Roko to pressure more.
As it stands Watson Nowell and Brown are pretty much inked in and May is pretty much the only bright spark in the Tigers backline, and also the incumbent so it'd take a lot to usurp him.
EJ has some sick fascination with Yarde, though Roko could well come in for Solomona who is playing in a terrible sale side and got binned off for going on the booze mid camp.

All that said, And as big a fan of Roko as i am, I'd rather Nathan Earle. Gonna be around a lot longer and he looked excellent for England early summer (before not being used again...sigh).

Yarde blows hot and cold but right now, he is playing very well for Quins this season. He does a lot more to get in to the game than Roko IMO and as good as Roko's first try was against Saracens, his other two were breakaway tries from interceptions.

Don't get me wrong, it takes skill and timing to score an interception try, but it doesn't make me think Tim Visser is the mutts nuts, so I'm not fully aboard the Roko hype train either.

Aside from the tries, I'm not sure he played well enough to justify all the hype he's getting.

Never been a massive fan of Yarde, but he's had a decent start for Quins, always looking for work and still has a fantastic scoring record for England. Not sure if I would have him over Roko, but I'd have neither of them over the current incumbents...

It's almost a shame brown played so well in Argentina

I doubt Eddie will be seduced by that end of season frolic TBH. He only has one aim - 2019. A scamper in the sun is one thing, but irrelevant to beating the ABs in high pressure knock out rugby.

I've always wanted to see Watson at 15, but its the best combination we're after. Will be very interested to see how Woodward goes over the next few weeks. To my mind the back 3 is Watson, May and AN Other.

As for Roko, he's 30, and Eddie clearly doesn't fancy him. Barring injuries he's surely out of the picture.

I doubt Eddie will be seduced by that end of season frolic TBH. He only has one aim - 2019. A scamper in the sun is one thing, but irrelevant to beating the ABs in high pressure knock out rugby.
Completely disagree
EJ has shown zero interest in replacing Brown, even after saying that he viewed Watson as a 15 as soon as he took over. Brown performing well just reinforces his spot.

I agree than Brown playing well reinforces his position, but I do think Jones wants more pace in the backline.

I think he's recognised that it's actually somewhat of a strength of English rugby - properly rapid players.

I think Eddie will have taken the summer for what it was, but I really doubt it will have affected his longer term thinking. It's an interesting situation; Brown will be 34 by the time the RWC starts and time waits for no man. Will he be any better in 2 years time, or even as good as he is now? Even if Brown remains Plan A today, a clear Plan B would be good.

Agree with rats on real pace. It's the one thing that all teams fear.

Like the look of Sam Simmonds at Exeter, wouldn't mind seeing him in the EPS for the AIs. Probably the only one who hasn't been in a squad yet that I would bring in.

I've been banging the drum about Simmonds for a while now, but I think he's unfortunate to be competing with Billy and Hughes, who is now well established and to be fair to him, starting to look the part at test level.

He's also a very different type of 8 to those two, so bringing him in would require a change in game plan and I'm not sure Eddie has the appetite for that right now?

I think he is playing his way in to the wider EPS for sure, but I suspect it will be as a utility back rower. He's definitely playing his way ahead of players like Clifford, Harrison and Williams who have been in/around the squad under Eddie anyway.

I've only watched Exeter once this season but I was really impressed with him,
Definitely would look to bring him through asap

I laid my claim to him after his first sevens appearance many years ago.

Ahead of the curve as usual.

Jonny May, Ackerman and Woodward tries.

Interesting bit in the Times by Ben Kay today talking up the increased importance of the line out. Back 5 of Kruis, Lawes, Itoje, Underhill and Billy coming your way soon.

When is the 2017/18 EPS actually announced?

There's two types of people in this world; those banging the drum for Sam Simmonds to get a crack at that white 8 jersey... and those people unfamiliar with Sam Simmonds.

Latest posts