• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England EPS 2017/18 edition.

I think if we have a back row of
robshaw hughes underhill.
Simmonds in the 20 shirt.

Then if we manage a healthy lead against argentina id like robshaw off for simmonds.

Underhill big tackler and decent gping forward. Hughes powerful runner and simmonds powerful with a step and alot of pace, he coild fill the back row slot. Just a back row id like to see against a weaker team.

My no Lions team would be
1) Genge
2) Hartley
3) ermmmmmmmm Collier
4) Launchbury
5) Kruis
6) Robshaw
7) Underhill
8) Hughes
9) Youngs
10) Ford
11) May
12) Francis
13) Slade
14) Roko
15) Haley (Brown might be injured and with no Daley, Nowell and Watson we are up **** creek abit).

16) McGuigan (Yes i'm biased do you want some?)
17) Whoever. **** it play Boyce.... or Obana
18) Williams (Not sure on him at international level but the saints TH who all have potential have not been playing well)
19) Ewels
20) Simmonds
21) Care
22) Smith
23) Woodward

I know Kruis had a quiet tour, Tigs, but that's a bit harsh.

I don't know if Simmonds is versatile enough for the 20.

I figured he'd be 8 or not picked at this point.

Who would you have? and we have hughes on the bench with billy starting. Is he that versatile? Simmonds can outpace some backs has a great step and is still 100kg. May not be a weapon at the breakdown but still

Simmonds single handedly won us the 2003 world cup and he's taking some time off over Christmas to solve the middle East crisis and invent a perpetual motion machine for free limitless energy.

Chiefs own website list him at only 6ft as well. Size isn't everything (so they say) but that doesn't feel like an international 8 to me. Mercer's a bit taller, but only listed at 105 kg.
Just out of interest
Zach Mercer: 190cm; 105 kg (BMI: 29.09)
Sam Simmonds: 184cm; 103kg (BMI: 30.42)

Louis Picamoles: 192cm; 116kg (BMI: 31.47)
Kieran Read: 193cm; 110kg (BMI: 29.53)
Jamie Heaslip: 192cm; 110kg (BMI: 29.84)
Taupe Faletau: 189cm; 110kg (BMI: 30.79)
David Pocock: 183cm; 103kg (BMI: 30.76)

IMO Simmonds is more-or-less as bulky as he can go, Mercer's probably got another 4-8 kg before stressing his frame (based on eye-balling their physiques).
Neither is going to challenge the 125+kg of Hughes and Billy, neither should try. Mercer is in the same teams as Faletau, with a similar height, a frame easily capable of a similar strength, and a pretty similar "natural" style.

Last edited:

I'm not so sure about that. The majority of his senior rugby has been on the flank (mostly seven).

Simmonds can definitely fit into an England back row, it's all about balance and tactics.

Being small as a back rower doesn't have quite the same fundamental impact that it has on locks and front rowers.

Simmonds can definitely fit into an England back row, it's all about balance and tactics.

Being small as a back rower doesn't have quite the same fundamental impact that it has on locks and front rowers.

All the way. Wiki says Hooper is 182cm and 102kg; virtually the same as Pocock and Simmonds. Fardy is the ballast. I wouldn't call that back row ineffective.

He only started playing 8 regularly last season IIRC. Up until then he'd always been a 7.

Who did he play 7 on a regular basis for? Loaned out or exeter braves or what ever they are called?

Could he be seen that way by EJ? As faz is seen as a centre and daly as a wing as well as their usual positions.

Who did he play 7 on a regular basis for? Loaned out or exeter braves or what ever they are called?

Could he be seen that way by EJ? As faz is seen as a centre and daly as a wing as well as their usual positions.

At Albion, all but one of his starts were at 7, either the other coming at 8, despite Iain Grieve, who is far from an out and out 8 being the other option there. His one appearance at 8 was in Grieve's absence.

Of all his starts for Pirates, just one was at eight, two were on the blindside with the rest at 7, despite the fact it meant moving the very useful Alex Cheeseman to 6.

Pretty much the same goes for his early Chiefs appearances (mostly in the LV Cup). I don't know of any records of Braves matches. I'd be surprised if the same pattern wasn't repeated though.

Who would you have? and we have hughes on the bench with billy starting. Is he that versatile? Simmonds can outpace some backs has a great step and is still 100kg. May not be a weapon at the breakdown but still
Honestly? I'd have Simmonds at 8. I've felt that way since about round 2 or 3.

Problem with him in a 20 jersey is you don't know who he's going to have to replace and it can be an issue of balance.

If you play Itoje at 6 and he has to replace him you've just lost a lot of height... if Underhill has to come off you lose work rate (or at least Simmonds work rate is different from Underhill's) and something over the ball. It's another reason I like Armand who adds some size to that Exeter back row for balance.

Honestly? I'd have Simmonds at 8. I've felt that way since about round 2 or 3.

Problem with him in a 20 jersey is you don't know who he's going to have to replace and it can be an issue of balance.

If you play Itoje at 6 and he has to replace him you've just lost a lot of height... if Underhill has to come off you lose work rate (or at least Simmonds work rate is different from Underhill's) and something over the ball. It's another reason I like Armand who adds some size to that Exeter back row for balance.
Fair point, but easily solved. I don't think him slotting into 7 is a big issue at all but a lack of height at 6 would be. However, given that Lawes will almost certainly be in there (unless Lions are rested in which case Itoje won't be at 6 in the first place) and so he can comfortably go to 6, where he's just won Prem Player of the month, in order to keep the height and physicality at 6.

If England and Exeter could mold Simmonds into a Hooper MK II that would be fantastic.

Many thanks,

England fans.

Totally agreed about balance / tactics.

Partially agreed. But if you look at the 8s that Which Tyler mentioned, Picamoles, Read and Faletau in particular are real totems for their sides. Likewise Binny for us when he's fit. I think that comes with the 8 shirt.

But again it comes down to balance. If you play Simmonds, a Curry and Underhill in the back row then you'll be wanting two Simon Shaws in the second row, except that you couldn't lift them in the line out etc etc.

If Simmonds was a 7, why did he move to 8?

Latest posts