• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England EPS 2017/18 edition.

With the back row of armand simmonds and salvi/ kvesic, salvi/kvesic are out and out 7s. Could have put armand at 8 and simmonds at 6

i think baxter likes more skill at 8 as ewers never played 8 even though he has alot of power. Armand is a good carrier and could play 8 and has on many occasions but simmonds carry step and pace does make him a different type of no8.

Although for england im not apposed to him being a 7 in the long run, its not like eddie is apposed to playing players out of their club positions.

Hope he gets a shot against argentina

My no Lions team would be
1) Genge
2) Hartley
3) ermmmmmmmm Collier
4) Launchbury
5) Kruis
6) Robshaw
7) Underhill
8) Hughes
9) Youngs
10) Ford
11) May
12) Francis
13) Slade
14) Roko
15) Haley (Brown might be injured and with no Daley, Nowell and Watson we are up **** creek abit).

16) McGuigan (Yes i'm biased do you want some?)
17) Whoever. **** it play Boyce.... or Obana
18) Williams (Not sure on him at international level but the saints TH who all have potential have not been playing well)
19) Ewels
20) Simmonds
21) Care
22) Smith
23) Woodward
Erm key is could have sworn he was on tour downunder

EJ might not use lions for least first game of AI's

Marler
Cole
Mako
Sinkler
Itoje
Lawes?
Kruis?
Billy (was going to be a lion / in list cos injured anyway)
Farrell
Teo
Daly
JJ
Nowell
Watson

Have i missed any? Or got any wrong?

That is one hell of a list to be missing. 14 players there. Pretty much all would make the 23 most the 15. To say we can still beat a tear 2 nation twice without them says alot. If we can do it a 3rd time then bring them back and win all our games ot puts us on a good track for the RWC with regards to depth meaning even the second 3rd 4th choices still have chance to develop in time

Didn't kruis miss a large part of last season, And come back just in time for the lions?
Don't see why we'd need to rest him

Agree with that plus would like to see a lions bench tbh. Bench of

16 george
17 mako
18 cole (rather sinkler but he decided to poke someone in the eye)
19 Itoje
20simmonds (not lions back row)
21 care (no lions scrum half)
22 Farrel
23 Daly

Not a bad bench.

Hope he does well and is included infront of yarde :) development over using a player that will never make the first team.

***BLOWS LEVIATHAN CONCH-HORN***

"Ayoooooolaaaaa Assembleeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!"

Jones is going to have a real headache at lock. Itoje, Kruis, Launchbury, Lawes and now Isiekwe all competing with Lawes and Itoje setting themselves up as possible 6 cover as well. On current form you can't justify dropping any of them, a problem England have not had for a while. I think I'd stick with Kruis + Itoje just because of how dominant they were in 2016 and if they can get back to that form, I can't really see a pairing that can offer more.

Jones is going to have a real headache at lock. Itoje, Kruis, Launchbury, Lawes and now Isiekwe all competing with Lawes and Itoje setting themselves up as possible 6 cover as well. On current form you can't justify dropping any of them, a problem England have not had for a while. I think I'd stick with Kruis + Itoje just because of how dominant they were in 2016 and if they can get back to that form, I can't really see a pairing that can offer more.
He's got quite a lot of headaches - I don't think I could say with confidence that, injuries apart, I'd know what any single unit will be in 2019. At lock I think there will be an element of getting the best players on the pitch and that means either Itoje (my choice) or Lawes at 6 with the other alongside Kruis.

He's got quite a lot of headaches - I don't think I could say with confidence that, injuries apart, I'd know what any single unit will be in 2019. At lock I think there will be an element of getting the best players on the pitch and that means either Itoje (my choice) or Lawes at 6 with the other alongside Kruis.

Id go lawes 6 and itoje with kruis in at lock but thats my opinion, itoje kruis they play well together at sarries week in week out and have lawes physicality at 6 (its says alot when launchbury is struggling to get in).

Not sure how i feel about a lock at 6 when we have young back rowers that need gametime, we all know lawes is a good player and has uped his game to be my first choice with itoje. Then you have underhill, curry twins, simmonds (7/8) and robshaw and still Hask is available. Mark wilson and don Armand are putting their hands up for selections. Need depth at flanks so we dont end up with robshaw hask as main options again and for the future.

Don't think Haskell should be in the equation, he's definitely on the downward slope of his career.
For me Krutoje should be our lock partnership.
I wouldn't be adverse to a Lawes, Underhill, Hughes/Simmonds back row (If Hughes/Binny is fit then Simmonds on the bench, if not then Simmonds starts and AN Other on the bench)
Harsh on Robshaw, but it is what it is.

We know what he can do and if injuries bite he can be relied on to come in and do a fine job. But it's now the turn of others.

Really hope Genge gets a proper run in the AIs. Although we have 2 very good LHs there's something about his raw aggression and directness that really appeals.

Question. Should we be resting the Lions players in the AIs? Won't they be playing for their clubs if not called up? I know test matches are obviously more intense, but I'm sure EJ will rotate anyway?

For me i would like to see ATM
1) Mako, 2) George, 3) Cole
4) Kruis, 5) Itoje
6) lawes, 7) Underhill, 8) Hughes

16) Hartley, 17) Genge, 18) Collier
19) Isiekwe, 20) Simmonds

For me Krutoje should be our lock partnership.
I wouldn't be adverse to a Lawes, Underhill, Hughes/Simmonds back row (If Hughes/Binny is fit then Simmonds on the bench, if not then Simmonds starts and AN Other on the bench)

Agree on hask out.

Im struggling to see simmonds as a international 8, its not his skill set because that is impressive. But his weight is lacking. I can see him as a 7

Vs argentina I can see;
Williams Hartley Genge
Lawes Itoje
Underhill Hughes Simmonds
Youngs,
Ford
May
Francias
Marchant (rather slade but dint want 3 play makers)
Someone who isnt Yarde
Brown.

Simmonds at 7 gives on field 8 cover. Curry in 20 shirt. Kruis on bench.

Simmonds on the bench i wouldnt complain at

I can't see Simmonds playing 7 for England ahead of Underhill and Curry, especially when he's playing 8 at his club atm. I know EJ is more than happy to play players in a position different to their club, but I see him falling into the Clifford jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none role.
TBH it wouldn't be a bad move - I think Binny and Underhill will be England 8 and 7 for a long long time. Focusing on playing all across the backrow (so bench spot and first reserve in a number of positions), or at 6, could be his best shot.

Latest posts