• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Saxons v Ireland Wolfhounds

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
:lol: The ref diving into the ruck there for some reason

Celts have silly pronunciation anyway, how can Bh and Mh both = V? (as in Siobhan and Niamh)

England back row was outstanding - Dowson had a super game but there's just something that tells me he wouldnt stand out on the international stage.

Youngs was really good, Geraghty looks shot of confidence so keeps kicking it. Barritt looked good too, did what Johnson wants Hape to do. Waldouck was lacking a little bit, Cato was really impressive and Goode was confident and pretty faultless. Wood had a good game too.

Roll on WC 2011 :D

Cato really was good,
Fast and very poweful,
Thought Goode played well, just had a couple of kicks straight into touch, but did well about the pitch,
Agree about Gerraghty, he just kicked away a lot of the time, but when he wasn't doing that, he was playing well as well, the try saving tap tackle was class
Strettle impressed me as well, though i wish Miles Benjamin had been on for longer/when we weren't on the back foot, though he did make a couple of good tackles

I liked our counter attack today, Ireland would be right up on our line for 10 minutes, then one little slip up and we'd very nearly get a try from it

It wasn't a good performance but I'm not too disheartened. Of the starting XV, nearly two thirds haven't been starting regularly for their provinces of late and another, Paddy Wallace, was playing out of position. The game was lost at 9 and 10.

I thought Chris Henry did well off the bench along with those who played well in the first half.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Jan 31 2010, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
:lol: The ref diving into the ruck there for some reason

Celts have silly pronunciation anyway, how can Bh and Mh both = V? (as in Siobhan and Niamh)[/b]

Bh and mh are sometimes silent too... and the in word for reading, 'leughadh', the gh is a v sound when it isn't in too many other places. Oh well, it's still much more 'phonetic' than English.

Back to rugby... Ireland's forwards outclassed England today, and our tactical kicking was very poor - these explain the reasons why the game was close. Was impressed with Dowson and Saull though.

Besides that, our backs were far superior. Ben Youngs looked very good, Cato was on fire, and Waldouck's hands are phenomenal. Goode, Barritt and Strettle also did some very nice things - in fact the only minus was Geraghty who looked poor. Contrast that with Ireland, who had Carr and no one else, and that was where the game was won.

Duffy, Matthews and Dowling all sucked before kick off and still do. Expected more from McFadden but the boy needs way more gametime before he'll improve. Wallace did alright but a 10 he ain't. Taxi for Stringer.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Feb 1 2010, 05:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Duffy, Matthews and Dowling all sucked before kick off and still do. Expected more from McFadden but the boy needs way more gametime before he'll improve. Wallace did alright but a 10 he ain't. Taxi for Stringer.[/b]

So no surprises really given the two Squads put out, this isn't the same side that played in the Churchill after all, but well done England. What I want to know is how the players did, I couldn't watch the match because of lack of conciousness but how did Carr, McFadden, Wallace, O'Brien, Best and Buckley and Horan do?

Carr looked good, there rest didn't.

Well, Best was alight I guess. Hardly Keith Woods though.

I believe that ireland A were the better side.McFadden(great future) was very good so as Carr, Boss and Henry , Buckley was very good around the park an held on well in scrum witch became dominated when Ross came on. It seems lke if Best was trying to avoid contact. Cadwell and Humphries were awfull when they came on. Impressed by Duffy.

So with Ferris out injured McClaughin or O'Brien will start. And I fancy that deccie will pick Boss at SH. And because we did not see Trimble today I think he will start on the wing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (seanAF @ Jan 31 2010, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I believe that ireland A were the better side.McFadden(great future) was very good so as Carr, Boss and Henry , Buckley was very good around the park an held on well in scrum witch became dominated when Ross came on. It seems lke if Best was trying to avoid contact. Cadwell and Humphries were awfull when they came on. Impressed by Duffy.

So with Ferris out injured McClaughin or O'Brien will start. And I fancy that deccie will pick Boss at SH. And because we did not see Trimble today I think he will start on the wing.[/b]

Ah now! It was close but saxons were definitely the better side. They were more threatening with posession. Stringer had a big part to play in Ireland A's loss. He was rubbish. And Wallace outta position was a problem. I think had the starting team looked more like this maybe we'd have won.

15 - Gavin Duffy
14 - Fionn Carr
13 - Fergus McFadden
12 - Paddy Wallace
11 - Ian Dowling
10 - Ian Humphreys
9 - Isaac Boss
1 - Marcus Horan
2 - Rory Best
3 - Tony Buckley
4 - Mick O'Driscoll
5 - Devin Toner
6 - Shane Jennings
7 - Sean O'Brien
8 - Chris Henry

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 31 2010, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ferris is out?WhA!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/b]

nothing definite yet but he's rated 50/50 for the Italy match according to the Belfast Telegraph, apparently he suffered bone bruising on his knee in the Bath game, thought it was only a dead leg at the time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 1 2010, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 31 2010, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ferris is out?WhA!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/b]

nothing definite yet but he's rated 50/50 for the Italy match according to the Belfast Telegraph, apparently he suffered bone bruising on his knee in the Bath game, thought it was only a dead leg at the time.
[/b][/quote]

If it's 50/50 he shouldn't play this weekend, we're going to need him an awful lot more in the next game. Throw O'brien in at 6, he did a Job for the second half against the World Champions and it will be great new experience for him.

so if Ferris is out the starting XV should be

1.Healy
2.Cronin
3.Bull
4.DOC
5.POC
6.O'Brien
7.Wally
8.Heaslip
9.Boss
10.Sexton/ROG
11.Trimble