• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Team Now That Jones Has Come In?

1.Vunipola
2.George
3.Cole
4.Slater (Kruis and Attwood are unlucky, I think Kruis is not grunt enough to be the big guy and not quick enough to be the loose player. Might get into an EPS on current form but unlikely.)
5.Launchbury
6.Itoje
7.Kvesic
8.Vunipola
9.Youngs
10.Ford for his partnership, Farrell is ahead on form. All depends on training.
11.Nowell
12.Hard call, Slade is perfect but injured. Maybe 36? I haven't seen this season but he plays the position. Probably be safe and go for Burrell. Devoto is a great player we could look at.
13.Joseph if fully fit, Daly for his boot comes in handy.
14.Rokoduguni or Wade. Wade needs to see some game time at some point. Far too much talent.
15.Brown

16.Youngs
17.Mullan
18.Cooper Wooley
19.Attwood
20.Clifford
21.Simpson
22.Farrell/Ford
23.Daly

1.Vunipola
2.George
3.Cole
4.Slater (Kruis and Attwood are unlucky, I think Kruis is not grunt enough to be the big guy and not quick enough to be the loose player. Might get into an EPS on current form but unlikely.)
5.Launchbury
6.Itoje
7.Kvesic
8.Vunipola
9.Youngs
11.Nowell
12.Hard call, Slade is perfect but injured. Maybe 36? I haven't seen this season but he plays the position. Probably be safe and go for Burrell. Devoto is a great player we could look at.
14.Rokoduguni or Wade. Wade needs to see some game time at some point. Far too much talent.
15.Brown

16.Youngs
17.Mullan
18.Cooper Wooley
19.Attwood
20.Clifford
21.Simpson
22.Farrell/Ford
23.Daly

I would be happy to see this or my team play Scotland mate

1.Vunipola
2.George
3.Cole
5.Launchbury
6.Itoje
7.Kvesic
8.Vunipola
9.Youngs
11.Nowell
15.Brown

16.Youngs
17.Mullan
18.Cooper Wooley
19.Attwood
20.Clifford
21.Simpson
22.Farrell/Ford
23.Daly

I find your lack of Watson disturbing *breathes heavily*

And I can't get on board with your inclusion of Slater, although I agree with what you said about Kruis. I'd go for Itoje, Lawes and Attwood over Slater though...
Also, why Cooper-Wooley? He's struggling for a starting place at Wasps. Brookes and Wilson are both better options.

Last edited:
I find your lack of Watson disturbing *breathes heavily*

And I can't get on board with your inclusion of Slater, although I agree with what you said about Kruis. I'd go for Itoje, Lawes and Attwood over Slater though...
Also, why Cooper-Wooley? He's struggling for a starting place at Wasps. Brookes and Wilson are both better options.

Brookes is injured, Wilson isn't even starting at Bath at the moment.

Ed Slater has nothing to do with Attwood - they are not the same type of player.

My England 6 nations team right now. My mind is constantly changing but this is the team I'd chose in this moment in time.

1. Mako
2. George
3. Cole
4. Launchbury
5. Kruis
6. Robshaw
7. Fraser
8. Beaumont
9. Care (c)
10. Cipriani
11. Yarde
12. Twelvetrees
13. JJ
14. Watson
15. Goode

16. Hartley
17. Mako
18. Wilson
19. Itojie
20. Vunipola
21. Younges
22. Farrell
23. Daly

The front row take care of them selves and is self explanatory. When it comes to the second row, I feel that itojie is coming through and is playing better rugby than Kruis but will benefit more from coming off the bench.

Josh Beaumont is the best athlete out of any of the English number 8's, he isn't fat nor lacks fitness like Vunipola, Waldrom or Morgan. The performances and tries he has scored in the premiership alone this year demonstrate his physical and technical ability. I feel that having a number 8 with not only a strong carrying game but hands and can kick too will provide another dimension to England's game.

The half backs take care of themselves in the sense that they are both technically gifted players and have that extra flair which your half backs need.

My ideal midfield partnership is slade and JJ. But for now twelvetrees has been playing well and has the skill set to be a world class centre, he is heavy, tall, excellent passing range and can kick, which is shown that he has played 10 for Gloucester on many occasions. Unfortunately his decision making skills often let him down, this season his decision making has improved and I am interested to see him on the international stage again.

JJ last year showed that he special and took his opportunities when England gave them to him, Daly has been pushing for that 13 shirt but at the moment JJ deserves to keep his place.

I've picked wingers with out and out pace and finishing skills as that is what I feel that a winger should be. With Goode at fullback over Brown because he is on form right now and playing just that bit better. I am a huge fan of brown and has done no wrong in an England shirt.

This is my personal opinion on what the team should look like at the next six nations with the aim of developing a young, experienced squad to go into the next World Cup.

P.S. Don't forget about Jack Clifford, that man is an animal! He will for sure be in an England jersey before 2017 comes around, I just feel he needs more time at Quinns settled in one position (7 in my eyes) to get more experience.

Last edited:
Where's this idea that Billy V lacks fitness come from? Last 6 nations I seem to remember him having the second highest tackle count out of anyone in the tournament, can't see how an 'unfit' player could do that?

Where's this idea that Billy V lacks fitness come from? Last 6 nations I seem to remember him having the second highest tackle count out of anyone in the tournament, can't see how an 'unfit' player could do that?

I don't actually think tackle count shows anything really if he didn't hit any rucks in between or moved in the defensive line though (I'm not saying he was like that btw, just an example).

I think the main thing is Beaumont has great hands and is a much better rugby player than billy. Billy is good but limited, Beaumont has potential to be a world class player.

Also how tall is Beaumont compared to other 8's? Does he jump for Sale in the lineout?

Also I can't really see past Rokoduguni being one of our wingers. He has the most all-round game of any and being dropped after 1 cap was ridiculous. The other wing really depends on how we play. If we can create space for our wingers then I'd take May any day due to his insane acceleration and pace. If we can't, I'd like Yarde or Nowell. It seems a real shame to leave Wade out though but I don't like the idea of him facing some of the behemoths that now run down the wings. Also I'd take Watson to replace Brown. Goode may do well for Sarries but he just hasn't worked for England, same as Ashton. I think Sarries have a habit of making decent players look much better than they are and they get shown up internationally.

Also how tall is Beaumont compared to other 8's? Does he jump for Sale in the lineout?
Yeah, he's a very good lineout operator.
He ran our lineout last season (ahead of Hines, who was coaching the lineout), but Bryn Evans runs it this season.
Think he takes the 2nd most of our LO (behind Evans) and steals a few too.
For an 8 he's as good as you could possibly want in the lineout.

He's 6ft 7 vs Binny at 6ft2 vs Morgan at 6ft3 vs Hughes at 6ft5

Dat Cipriani/Beaumont combo
<iframe allowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" class="imgur-embed-iframe-pub imgur-embed-iframe-pub-4S5liyL-true-540" scrolling="no" src="http://imgur.com/4S5liyL/embed?ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.therugbyforum.com%2Fthreads%2F37019-England-Team-Now-That-Jones-Has-Come-In%3Fp%3D776977%23post776977&w=540" id="imgur-embed-iframe-pub-4S5liyL" style="height: 500px; width: 540px; margin: 10px 0px; padding: 0px;"></iframe><script async="" src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:

Latest posts