• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England U20 vs Ireland U20

I presume Farrell is on the bench as he covers 10 and 12 (and I think Ford only plays 10?) - however Farrell could start at 10 and then move to the centres when Ford comes on, or something

Ford is by no means a bad player, but you would've thought that they'd go for Farrell who has more big game experience

As pointed out, Ford's the guy who's been with the squad and knows the systems.

Also, some rotation is sensible.

But finally... I know Farrell's been playing for Sarries, and playing well, but Ford has a reputation as being very very very special. I wouldn't bet on Farrell taking that 10 shirt off of Ford. Ford was ahead of Farrell last year. He played 6N games where Farrell was available at 10. If Ford keeps performing, I think he's going to keep the shirt.

I wanna see the replay of that try then....

Short and the Irish player both dive for the ball, Short gets up celebrating a try, the Irish player gets up looking gutted but no TMO (despite the ref not being in a position to see) and then Ireland get a try on the counter (England players shouldn't have switched off thinking it was a try or TMO, but still...)
Hopefully they'll show a replay of it at halftime, it didn't show the grounding on the TV (they were showing a replay but had to cut away because of the Ireland try)

Henry Thomas with a try to nullify that one though :D

Last edited:
Not the slaughtering in the pack I expected still not so great particularly the line out. Jordi Murphy looks very good apart form the hair cut.

EDIT: Just before Marmions break I heard somebody yell snipe, couldn't of made it more obvious!:D

Last edited:
Ransom looks decent at fullback. Trying a bit too hard though.
England should be dominating but aren't securing their own ball enough and are knocking it on all over the place.

That last try from Vunipola was embarrassing for Ireland. Momentum my arse that guy should have gone down.

Was some slack defence by Ireland, definitely

England conceding far too many penalties in this match, it's a good job Irelands kickers haven't been up to much (he says as Ireland gets 3 more pts :p )

edit: ******** to that, that was a brilliant tackle by Farrell

Last edited:
Why on earth was that a penalty? He brought him down, and the tackled player didn't hit the floor with his upper body first...
But either way you're right. England's discipline is an issue

Huh... AAnyone catch what that card was for? Makes ireland's job much harder...

Oh never mind. Replay showed it. Moron deserved that card :p

What was it for?
Dipped in and out towards the end sorting out my dinner :p
Thought the touch judge was signalling a high tackle?

Happy with the win, but disappointed with the ill discipline!

Sigh, england were overall better but Ireland had their chances just ran out steam in the pack I feel.

Card was for knee to the shoulder olyy

We really should have lost by more, it was England's ill discipline that kept us in the game, still good performances from our backline, terrible pack though as expected.

We really should have lost by more, it was England's ill discipline that kept us in the game, still good performances from our backline, terrible pack though as expected.

Really? I thought the Irish pack went quite well, a hell of a lot better than expected and actually quite encouragingly. That England pack is an evil unit for this level and Ireland mainly stood their ground, made some ground and did very well in the rucks. I'd need to rewatch to be sure, but I'm pleased about the showing of the Ulster boys in that pack, showed some potential.

Not really far smarter at the breakdown just because the set peice was pretty poor doesn't mean the pack were. England are much bigger and there were even one or two decent scrums.

Decent game. The best team won but at least Ireland put up a good fight. Irelands lineout was brutal though.

Is Shane Buckley related to Tony?

Irelands hooker looked good, got a cracking diving turnover/steal at one point towards the end

Is Shane Buckley related to Tony?

Irelands hooker looked good, got a cracking diving turnover/steal at one point towards the end

Niall Annett. Big things are expected from him, providing he is big enough. Also, his line out throwing goes from sublime to ropey as hell far too regularly.

It's widely expected that Gilroy, Conway, Macken, Marshall, Hanrahan, Jackson, Annett and McKeon will make it as pros out of that Irish setup. All showed flashes of what they could do today but none stood out. For me, the best Irish players were Furlong and Marmion.

England really should have won by more. They've a very good team and if they concentrate for the full 80 minutes could easily make the final of this competition.

Latest posts