• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England v Ireland

A

An Tarbh

<div align="center">V[/b]
eddie_osullivan(1).jpg
</div>

Only thing I'm worried about here is IF Ireland win, Eddie may get a stay of execution. At this stage though, I couldnt give a rats arse about the result, I just want Eddie gone. He's been great for us, had some good times watching Ireland under him, but its time for a change ......... NOW.

He may as well bite the bullet and play Buckley, Healy and Fitzgerald, which is what a more secure coach would do. He wont though, cause hes lookin for a stay of execution.

Predict a complete waste of a season comes to a dramatic, tight but victorious end. Ireland to edge an error ridden but exciting feast of attacking rugby :)

Well we're not exactly getting the two most attacking minded teams here so it does have the hall marks of a damp squib and we're extremely blunted in attack with O'Driscoll out and Horgan in the centre has always been a nightmare for us.

The Irish pack is capable of matching the English, the only consistent weakness throughout the season has been the inability to steal opposition lineout ball, if England cough up their own ball then I think we'll have enough of a platform to win, that's a big if though.

I can't bring myself to wanting us to lose much as that would benefit us in the long run but it just runs against everything I believe in, I tried to do it in the San Marino match yet when we got the goal at the end instinct took over and I went as mad as if we'd beaten a top 10 side.

Honestly though, if it is 3 wins out of 5 that should not be enough to keep Eddie his job after the world cup failure and his consistent failure to win the Championship. The IRFU set out a plan a few years back to win a Heineken Cup, a Championship and get to at least the semi-finals of the world cup, the latter two coming under Eddie's remit and he's failed on both counts so he should be shown the door.

It's nice how the last weekend has formed into three tiers of quality, in chronological order through the evening too!

Anyway, I think Ireland should win this. England's confidence will be shot and Ireland will have no fear of Twickenham, but they've got to throw the ball around a bit. They were great in attack against Scotland and I don't understand why they didn't do this more against Wales.

I'd keep O'Sullivan for the summer tour to New Zealand and Australia at least. Going against the All Blcks in a first game in charge is a fate I wouldn't wish upon any new coach, plus there's a decent chance of a historical upset if NZ are rusty and Ireland click.

What team would you like to see played lads? Eddie will pick the usual suspects (maybe even Easterby) though.

Well Wallace had a mare on Saturday, I'd like to see Gleeson in there but that ain't gonna happen, would love to know what he did to **** Eddie off, not sure what it could be as he's one of the soundest blokes going. Has performed consistently well for Leinster, it got Jackman and Heaslip into the reckoning so why not Gleeson whose name is mentioned as much as the other two as the best Leinster players in each game. I'd also like to see Ferris brought into the squad and Easterby given his p45 but he's to Eddie what Balshaw is to Ashton so I won't hold my breath. Healy and Buckley are a pipedream as well, might not be the worst thing for Healy to be left out, won't give Eddie the chance to do any damage.

Kearney should stay at full back, he was one of our few decent players yesterday so he needs to be given another chance, Bowe needs to switch wings, didn't look comfortable on the other wing, either Murphy or preferably Fitzgerald on the left, no options at centre so Horgan and Trimble it is.

As for keeping Eddie on and saving a new coach the damage of a tour to New Zealand, I say bring it on, gives him something to get his teeth into straight away, he's going to have to face the All Blacks and possibly South Africa if this nonsense Dubai test gets the go ahead so little difference really. Besides it's a good chance for a new coach who would presumably be in charge for the world cup to get a feel for rugby in New Zealand.

It's nice how the last weekend has formed into three tiers of quality, in chronological order through the evening too!

Anyway, I think Ireland should win this. England's confidence will be shot and Ireland will have no fear of Twickenham, but they've got to throw the ball around a bit. They were great in attack against Scotland and I don't understand why they didn't do this more against Wales.

I'd keep O'Sullivan for the summer tour to New Zealand and Australia at least. Going against the All Blcks in a first game in charge is a fate I wouldn't wish upon any new coach, plus there's a decent chance of a historical upset if NZ are rusty and Ireland click.
[/b]

Then there's also the chance of Eddie keeping his job which isn't good for anyone in the long run bar the other test playing nations but that's not our concern.

Sticking to the match itself, apart from coaches and managers:

Ireland need to get back to quick ball off the lineout. Not sure if Fla is available, but if so Eddie should gamble with that and see how the back three can be brought on to Horgan's line breaks in the centre. Midfield defence without BOD and Darcy is going to be interesting - Noon might relive his glory day (one and counting) against the ABs.

England are at HQ, so they should win ... uncomfortably. No pressure!

I thought this was a foregone conclusion, I mean, England never beat Ireland in the 6N anymore do they? :p

All the pressure is on England, they haven't beaten us since 2003, that's unacceptable so Ashton must get his team to deliver, whether that can be used to Ireland's advantage we'll wait and see.

Flannery hasn't played since whenever so I doubt Eddie will have that as his first game back, just not in his nature plus he negates any progress made in the scrum.

Flannery hasn't played since whenever so I doubt Eddie will have that as his first game back, just not in his nature plus he negates any progress made in the scrum. [/b]
Yeah, that's interesting. Ireland very uneven since the RWC, but the one area we've clearly improved on is the scrum.

Is it down to the front row, or the second? I have no idea. But berserker spirit is important around the pitch, and the only extra source I could think of yesterday was Fla.

Plus he would improve control of the maul off the lineout, our main weapon. This season defence of the driving maul has looked simple - Italy smashed France back everytime today - but if we're patient and take the first hit from the defence, Fla can keep the bind and figure out a way through. A grandmaster in that game of chess.

exciting feast of attacking rugby :) [/b]
THAT bit was 100% sarcasm.

Anyhoo, I just wonder what Eddie's master plan is going to be this time. I mean as apposed to stamping Irelands rugby on other teams, he feels its necessary to compromise anything we do well in an attempt to nullify the opposition. Given that England have nearly been worse then us, whats he going to do?

Oh and everyone is assuming Horgan and Trimble are a shoe in at the centres. Why not throw Paddy Wallace in there instead? He's been doing alright there for Ulster.

As for other selections. I'm on the Jennings band wagon. Would love to see a proper #7 in there for a change. Then let Leamy and Wallace duke it out for the 6 spot. Kearney should stay at #15, and I'd like to see Fitzgerald and Buckley get another 25 mins from the bench.

I'd be in favour of Wallace playing center but I doubt Eddie would be. Rog at 10 and Paddy at 12 would be pretty weak in defence but we don't have Henson and Shanklin to tackle this week so I'd say go for it.

England to thump Ireland and smash them all over the park :D

Meanwhile.... back in the real world. The less crap out of the two crap teams to win a boring kick fest.

Horgan and Trimble in the centre would be a disastrous combination, as players they're far too similar. Trimble and Fitzgerald would be an interesting combination. I'd like to see Kearney get another go at fullback as he looked like he was a serious option on Saturday but I reckon if Dempsey is fit EOS will lob him straight back in because when he's under pressure he sticks to what he knows, regardless of if it has ever brought success or not.

Ideally I'd like to see
Horan Jackman Buckley
DOC POC
Leamy Jennings
Heaslip
Reddan
ROG
Bowe Trimble Fitzgerald Horgan
Kearney

Unfortunately the chances of Jennings playing are precisely zero and we're going to end up with probably Trimble in the centre, Dempsey at fullback and a shootout between Kearney and Murphy for a wing place.

Something tells me this game is going to be worse then that crap we all saw this week at Murrayfield.

For England, the "monsterous" pack look like they couldn't push over a house of cards while their backs, with (to rip off a line from ARC) Rear Gunner Willkinson leading the charge, can only give an aerial bombardment to the opposition. Rumour has it, they once ran with the ball a few years back.

Likewise, Irelands pack is much of a nothingness right now and the backs are slowly on a mission of self distruction, Reddan being the only bright light.

Wankinson and O'Choka to have 80 minutes of aerial ping-pong, missing most of their goal kicks, with the only propper scores coming from Balshaw or Trimble defensive howlers - Provided bothe sets of backs aren't complete donkeys and throw the ball away.

Proberbly Ireland by 3. As the score will be 6-3.

pressure is on England this weekend. Everyone was expecting a win last week, but we all got a little ahead of ourselves and fumbled to a heavily disappointing, and by my state at the end of the, heavily drunken defeat.

I think England will win but it will be a bore fest full of high balls and unimaginative running. Wilkinson will not be dropped even though every critic on the planet is calling for his head.

It will be an England win, but it won't be convincing. It'll be one of those resurging wins that won't change anything to do with the future of the team. Shame as we need some new blood in most areas of our game.

Jackman should be done in the Green Jersey now. He hasn't performed so the opportunity should go to a younger player. I would start Buckley. Throw him in against the best LH in the world and let him prove he has got it. I don't think England away is the right game to blood Healy. The size of the English pack might be too much for him, sane goes for Donnach Ryan. I wouldn't mind Jennings playing as everybody knows what Wallace can do and Jennings has played against all these players before.

Horan Best Buckley
DO'C PO'C
Leamy Heaslip Jennings
Reddan O'Gara
Kearney P.Wallace Trimble Bowe
Murphy

Jackman shouldn't be anywhere near the Ireland shirt again after his shocking and cowardly charge at the back of Ryan Jones; costing Ireland the game in doing so.

Jackman should be done in the Green Jersey now. He hasn't performed so the opportunity should go to a younger player. I would start Buckley. Throw him in against the best LH in the world and let him prove he has got it. I don't think England away is the right game to blood Healy. The size of the English pack might be too much for him, sane goes for Donnach Ryan. I wouldn't mind Jennings playing as everybody knows what Wallace can do and Jennings has played against all these players before.

Horan Best Buckley
DO'C PO'C
Leamy Heaslip Jennings
Reddan O'Gara
Kearney P.Wallace Trimble Bowe
Murphy
[/b]

I've no problem with Hayes going up against Sherridan, he's never posed him any problems in the past so he won't hold any fears for Saturday.

Latest posts