• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England v Wales

But is that Roberts' fault or the Blues and Wales? As soon as the Blues forwards started fronting up and giving the backs decent ball (Harlequins), Roberts suddenly had a great game. The fact of the matter is, Roberts > Bishop. Bishop is playing well, but I still don't think he offers much more than defense, and considering Roberts is in no way poor defensively, I can't see too much point playing Bishop ahead of Roberts. However if Roberts or Hook is moved to fullback, Bishop's the man to come in.

I remember the game between the Blues and Bath where Roberts was playing fullback. It was a dire night, ******* it down with rain. Roberts made an awesome break from his own 22 into Bath's 22, resulting in the match winning try. That's what always reminds me that Roberts has more to offer than simple brute strength. He showed a couple of good sidesteps and some good pace that day (and on others), so I think there's more to come from the lad.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Feb 1 2010, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Bishop should start alongside Hook. Roberts isn't in good enough form right now. (In fact, the only two good games I've seen from him all season where against Quins in the HEC and the All-Blacks for the Baa-Baas. Is the fact that one of them was recent a good enough reason for him to be picked?) Bishop isn't the strongest crash-ball centre, but defensivly, is the best back in Wales, plus he's began to make some good breaks this season. (The one Vs. Ulster where he ran from 22 to 22 to set up Nikki Walker sticks in my mind.)[/b]

Totally have to agree and against Quins in the HC, his first try was schoolboy error, Clegg i think it was, was scared to tackle him.

Roberts has failed to impress me since his switch to the centre FOR wales.

Lions he was immense, for Baa-Baas, he just doesn't do it. I agree, i'd rather see Bishop and Hook!

Judging by a few reports it looks as if Tait will be named at 13 today :)

Could this be a sign of a change in mentality?

Telegraph

Here's the England team according to BBC Sport:

England: D Armitage (London Irish); M Cueto (Sale Sharks), M Tait (Sale Sharks), R Flutey (Brive), U Monye (Harlequins); J Wilkinson (Toulon), D Care (Harlequins); T Payne (Wasps), D Hartley (Northampton), D Wilson (Bath), S Shaw (Wasps), S Borthwick (Saracens, capt), J Haskell (Stade Francais), L Moody (Leicester), N Easter (Harlequins).

Replacements: S Thompson (Brive), D Cole (Leicester), L Deacon (Leicester), S Armitage (London Irish), P Hodgson (London Irish), T Flood (Leicester), B Foden (Northampton)

Strong looking team, and as predicted no place for Lawes (Prestwick will be disapointed). From a Welsh perspective, glad to see that Wilkinson is playing ahead of Flood. The Tait selection at outside centre certainly hints to England playing a more open game that in the AI's.

Not a bad England side,, couple of good and bad points

Deacon on the bench :(
Payne in the team :(

Back line looks good :)
Cole on the bench :)

England: D Armitage (London Irish); M Cueto (Sale Sharks), M Tait (Sale Sharks), R Flutey (Brive), U Monye (Harlequins); J Wilkinson (Toulon), D Care (Harlequins); T Payne (Wasps), D Hartley (Northampton), D Wilson (Bath), S Shaw (Wasps), S Borthwick (Saracens, capt), J Haskell (Stade Francais), L Moody (Leicester), N Easter (Harlequins).

Replacements: S Thompson (Brive), D Cole (Leicester), L Deacon (Leicester), S Armitage (London Irish), P Hodgson (London Irish), T Flood (Leicester), B Foden (Northampton).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Feb 2 2010, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Replacements: S Thompson (Brive), D Cole (Leicester), L Deacon (Leicester), S Armitage (London Irish), P Hodgson (London Irish), T Flood (Leicester), B Foden (Northampton)

Strong looking team, and as predicted no place for Lawes (Prestwick will be disapointed). From a Welsh perspective, glad to see that Wilkinson is playing ahead of Flood. The Tait selection at outside centre certainly hints to England playing a more open game that in the AI's.[/b]

Some points to make.

1. Everyone knows Tim Payne is ****. Also, Wilson has at least played well for England in his life. So, why is there no loosehead replacement on the bench for when our scrum is inevitably crumbling due to Payne's shitness? I'm all for Coles, but this means that barring injury, Payne will be on the pitch for the whole game.

2. Everyone knows Deacon is ****. What on earth is he doing in the 22, when Lawes is the hottest young forward in English rugby, and actually capable of making an impact on a game??!!

3. He was always going to pick Wilko ahead of Flood; lets hope that having Flutey outside him actually reminds JW the he is allowed to pass.

4. In the same way picking Worsley, Hodgson and Erinle made a big statement in the autumn, selecting Care and Tait is making a big statement here. If they all click, then that could be an awesome backline.

If we lose to Wales, none of this will mean anything. Johnson will retreat back into his shell and we'll have Jamie Noon and Andy Goode back before the end of the tournament.

If we win, I can see this team developing. A bench containing Cole, Lawes, Armitage, Flood and Foden could appear, and that's a mighty fine selection of players to bring into a game. Maybe MJ will be prepared to risk the likes of Mullan at loosehead as well.

This selection is a start in the right direction - let's just hope it can evolve the right way. I'd love to be in the situation Ireland are where they have a (roughly) settled team, and can blood the odd youngster here and there. Apart from anything else, it makes it so much easier for the youngster to fit in.

PAYNE???
DEACON???

Someone needs to give Johnson a slap. Jesus. Also, you would've thought, being a lock, Johnson would realise that Lawes > Deacon.

Apart from that, side looks decent enough, hopefully Flutey will get Wilkinson playing better. Tait at 13 :D :D :D
Would've started Foden personally, but no complaints about Armitage really, especially as Fodens on the bench, hopefully he'll get some game time.
Also would've started Flood, but that's not going to happen while Wilkinsons fit.

Our scrum is going to get absolutely mullered. I mean, it was always going to be poor at best against Gethin and Adam, but Payne...ffs, just guarantees Wales a massive stream of penalties. Let's just hope that our players don't fumble/are good under the high ball all day...and that any scrum is far enough away from the tryline that the ref doesn't give out any penalty trys...

Completely predictable.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Feb 2 2010, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Also, you would've thought, being a lock, Johnson would realise that Lawes > Deacon.[/b]

Ah yes, but Lawes plys his weekly trade on the wrong side of Watford Gap for Johnson to be interested.

I'm hearing rumours thats Paul James wil start because of Gethin having a bad calf, watch this space.... :(

Apparently <_< Lawes has a slight groin strain which was enough to keep him out of the team.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daylightfire @ Feb 2 2010, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Apparently <_< Lawes has a slight groin strain which was enough to keep him out of the team.[/b]

I guess we'll find out if he takes the field against Leicester on Saturday.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Feb 2 2010, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Strong looking team, and as predicted no place for Lawes (Prestwick will be disapointed). From a Welsh perspective, glad to see that Wilkinson is playing ahead of Flood. The Tait selection at outside centre certainly hints to England playing a more open game that in the AI's.[/b]

Nice to see Tait outside Flutey, could be a centre partnership that really blossoms. I would like to see Hape given a chance agaisnt Italy, but to be honest i think Johnson needs to let this partnership grow over the whole competition. Preferably keep Wilkinson in place. This team needs consistency!

Good to see Hartley given a chance, Payne is ****.

Hopefully Borthwick can disprove some of his doubters wrong as i believe he is a very good player and with Shaw looks ten times better. He has to hit every ruck as hard as he can, win every lineout, and command the pack to make up for his lack of ball-carrying ability. Let Shaw do that and get on with what you got into the team for.

Haskell, Moody, Easter is a very exciting backrow. Haskell - great ball carrier, stopped giving away 83 penalties a game. Moody - steals everything, tackles like a god. Easter -tactically superb, someone to help Borthers with leadership. Good at making the hard yards plus a magical boot.

Care - if he plays like he does for Quins will be brilliant, if he doesnt he should be on the pitch.

The one area I am worried about is the back row, the one area that England have a clear edge on us, thats not to say though, that Wales are way ahead in others.

Going to be a real close one and I'm crazily excited about it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Feb 2 2010, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The one area I am worried about is the back row, the one area that England have a clear edge on us, thats not to say though, that Wales are way ahead in others.

Going to be a real close one and I'm crazily excited about it.[/b]

Hold on, hold on. You support Wales but you're from Bristol?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ali12 @ Feb 2 2010, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Feb 2 2010, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Going to be a real close one and I'm crazily excited about it.[/b]

Hold on, hold on. You support Wales but you're from Bristol?
[/b][/quote]

Born in Cardiff with a Welsh father. Moved to Bristol when I was 6.

Don't see England having a clear advantage in the backrow. Both no. 6's are similar, both good ball carriers, but both prone to giving away penalties and basically doing silly things (if Powell starts). Moody and Martyn Williams are both good players, but Martyn usually get's the edge. As for no. 8, Ryan Jones is better than Easter. Jones is back to his best after loosing some some bulk, + is a good leader. Not saying Easter isn't a good player aswell, but Ryan has the edge on him.

Should be a good battle in the backrow.

Heaven forbid! A Welshman who doesn't live in the valleys!

Who'd have think it! :eek:

Arg, when will they announce the outcome of Lee Byrne's appeal? It started at 5, not too long now, surely?

Latest posts