• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England v Wales

Nice opportunity England have handed to Wales with Payne at loosehead. I'd say that's the winning and losing right there, so he better man up. Depends on the ref - who is ...?

Tait was very good recently - was it against Ireland Wolfhounds? Can't remember that far back into the mists of last weekend, but looked strong for his try. No Ashton on the wing ... yet. And Cato looks like another class act for the future opposite side of the pitch. Lawes won't make international backrow EVER, and getting a regular place in a Johnson second row is some achievement. England not settled, still developing with lots of potential.

Mostly standard selections for Wales. Powell has looked pretty smart so hopefully will surprise by not running into brick walls all day but actually playing off his team mates. Roberts and Halfpenny have been disappointing lately, but this is the big one so all steamed up.

Should be good.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Feb 2 2010, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Tait was very good recently - was it against Ireland Wolfhounds? Can't remember that far back into the mists of last weekend, but looked strong for his try.
Should be good.[/b]

It was Gerraghty and Strettly that scored trys - Tait wasn't playing for Saxons :S

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Feb 2 2010, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Feb 2 2010, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tait was very good recently - was it against Ireland Wolfhounds? Can't remember that far back into the mists of last weekend, but looked strong for his try.
Should be good.[/b]

It was Gerraghty and Strettly that scored trys - Tait wasn't playing for Saxons :S
[/b][/quote]

With Barrit and Waldouck at center.

I like most of the squad. You're never going to have what you want completely (i.e. Payne in the front row?! :s ) but the back row looks very strong I think.

We'll see what happens but you can't say that Johnson hasn't come out all guns blazing on this one...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Feb 3 2010, 06:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Feb 2 2010, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Should be good.[/b]

[/b][/quote]
Weekend before he scored in HEC?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Feb 3 2010, 07:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Feb 2 2010, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Weekend before he scored in HEC?[/b]

Still wasn't playing the Irish Wolfhounds for the Saxons...
[/b][/quote]
Damn you!

Tait against Toulouse HEC Jan 24:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The Sharks had a good spell, trying to carve holes in an almost impregnable red defence. Schofield, Tuilagi and Koyamaibole had taken the 'hard knocks', but the home team's try came on 65 minutes from a more predictable source, outside centre Mathew Tait, who scythed beautifully through the defence to score. Hodgson added the conversion..[/b]

Great try - still **** by Irish standards.

Byrne has been cleared to play on Saturday according to the BBC and the fine has been reduced to €5000

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 2 2010, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Byrne has been cleared to play on Saturday according to the BBC and the fine has been reduced to â'¬5000[/b]
No I think Byrne's ban has been replaced by the a â'¬5000 fine and the Ospreys' â'¬25000 fine still stands. I think.

Oh good, at least they won't be bleating "boo-hoo-hooo Byrne cost us the match" should England win now.

(Of course, Gatland is bound to come up with some sort of excuse even if Wales win)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 2 2010, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Oh good, at least they won't be bleating "boo-hoo-hooo Byrne cost us the match" should England win now.

(Of course, Gatland is bound to come up with some sort of excuse even if Wales win)[/b]

"Byrnes ban disrupted us..."

much like how the horrible rendition of the South African anthem but them off when they lost to France ;)

Though if he does spout some crap I might go to the Vale Hotel myself and tell him to shut the **** up and stick to the rugby.

Wooooohoooo, sense has prevailed. We can now see a team of:

01 Gethin Jenkins
02 Mathew Rees
03 Adam Jones
04 Alun-Wyn Jones
05 Ian Gough / Luke Charteris
06 Andy Powell
07 Martyn Williams
08 Ryan Jones

09 Richie Rees
10 Stephen Jones
11 Shane Williams
12 Jamie Roberts
13 James Hook
14 Tom James
15 Lee Byrne

16 Gareth Williams
17 Eifion-Lewis Roberts
18 Sam Warberton
19 Jonathan Thomas
20 Gareth Cooper
21 Dan Biggar
22 Andrew Bishop

Having Byrne available is a huge boost for Wales. He adds so much to our attacking threat, and of course offers that solidity and and big boot needed in the modern game. He is Wales' most important back at the moment, and might prove the difference on Sat.

i'd love to see that 22, but Richie Rees and Tom James won't be there.
We can hope

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TVH11 @ Feb 2 2010, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/8489043.stm
not much info, but has the main point over Lee Byrne being cleared to play Vs England[/b]

Just noticed that you're from Ammanford, pretty much all my family come from there :D .

Agree with Dulls team anyway, though I reckon Gatlands gonna pick Halfpenny at 14 and have a horrible feeling he'll pick Cooper to start at 9.

It's a pity that Halfpenny has lost his form this season, after being so great last season. I wonder if the slight injury he's carrying which needs surgery in the summer is having any effect? Or is it just a case of second season syndrome, where he's being singled out as a danger man by the opposition and shut down quickly. He doas offer that massive boot of his though, which is normally good for 3-6 points in a match. This isn't enough for him to start imo, but I won't be annoyed or surprised if he get's the nod over Tom James.

What I personally like about James is his courage. He's willing to try things, take on the defense or little chips over the top. They may not all work out, and he may still be a little inexperienced and raw, but he's got soo much potential. The more he plays, the better he'll get.

As for scrum half, I really hope Cooper doesn't start! He's not playing well, and starting him sends out the wrong message to Rees and Roberts, who are both playing well. Rees is my pick as he's been playing consistently well. He's shown an aggressive edge to his game that Cooper or Roberts simply don't posses. He's no Phillips, but he's our best option, and by no means poor. Martin Roberts would be my next choice, but I feel Cooper offer's experience needed on the bench if Rees struggles.

Second row choice is going to be interesting. I think Gatland will stick with Alun-Wyn Jones, although if he doesn't play well against England, he'll loose his place. Who to partner him though? There's a choice of 5, Gough, Charteris, Jonathan Thomas, Deiniol Jones and Bradley Davies. This is the toughest selection of the lot imo.
- Gough hasn't been playing regularily for the Ospreys, but he brings the dog that's often needed at international level + some scrummaging brute.
- Charteris is only just back from injury, too similar to Alun-Wyn?
- Jon Thomas is another good choice, playing well for the Ospreys in that position alongside Alun-Wyn, offers a good carrying option, and is a good jeneral of the linout.
- Bradley Davies isn't quite ready, he needs to increase his aggression imo.
- Deiniol Jones is an outside choice, he does the basics well, but doesn't offer as much as others around the park.
I change my mind on this constantly, as I now think Alun-Wyn and Jon Thomas should be our locks Saturday. Gough or Charteris on the bench, with Jon Thomas able to move to blindside.

There's a strong case to start Andrew Bishop alongside Hook or Roberts. Will be interesting to see who Gatland goes for. Maybe Jonathan Davies will be on the bench or start?

The rest of the team picks itself, as long as none of the injury rumors are true!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Feb 3 2010, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The rest of the team picks itself, as long as none of the injury rumors are true![/b]
Will Shane Williams pick himself? Could be the end for him, which might be good for Wales.

If Halfpenny was on form and Mark Jones was fit, then maybe Shane Williams wouldn't be guaranteed his place. But at this moment in time we are a little short on the wing, especially with Gatland snubbing Brew and Fussell, so I think Shane is a certainty against England. He's only been back for a couple of games, and he will improve. The good news is that he was solid against Leicester (apart from that stupid pass of his), he had no problems defensively. With none of the other wings in the squad in great form, and two yougsters who will never be chucked in against England, he'll play.

Wales squad should be announced today shouldn't it?
I'm guessing Gatland just had two teams set out, one if Byrne was in, one out, so shouldn't take too long

Hes naming it at 1.

Most positions pick themselves. I'm hoping to see some changes though!

Just read Halfpenny and Rees are doubts.

Maybe we will see Tom James :D

Latest posts