• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England vs Australia

16 - 6 at halftime
Ashton try, 3x penalties and a conversion for Flood
Justin Bieber with 2 penalties for Australia
:D

argh!
Australia quick tap a penalty, repeatedly attacking england try line, England turnover about 3inches from their line, get it wide to Ashton, and he scores a 100m runaway try!

Australia are still within touching distance in spite of the fact they've taken a major, major pounding from England this afternoon.

"Jeez this Courtney Lawes is a quality player" - One of the Australian commentators

He must be good if they're saying he is!

Edit: Mark Cueto showing he's still got it!

Last edited:
Great game by england. Starved Australia of the ball and they got over the advantage line in most phases and pretty much just smashed the ozzie forwards. Definitely came out to play tonight.
Aussie pack is an embarrasment and the backs reverted back to the stupid chip kicks. Who the hell was that team that came out in gold and green?!?!?!

Welcome back, England. Haven't seen you round these parts since .... oooh, early 2003.

Should have had a couple more tries.

Agree, Australia were unrecognisable from the team we've seen in recent weeks/months,
Their chip kicking was daft , took many many attempts (and turnovers) before Beale got the try with his (as an aside - Beale is immense!)
Fair play to Australia for not giving in though, they were as hard in defence at 1minute as they were at 80mins, though they did have some slipups, their defending on the line for the most part was rock solid.

What was Giteaus card for? Missed that bit, didn't realise they were a man down until after half time!

Flood, Lawes and Cueto all had massive game tonight (along with most others to be fair - just those that stand out).
Dan Cole is quickly turning into the English Gethin Jenkins, destructive in the scrum, and everywhere in defense and attack. Croft also a blinder, his take from the kickoff at the start of the 2nd half was sublime

Brilliant. If they had a bit more precision, there would have been 2+ more tries for England. Youngs was quality.

Best performance from England I've seen in a very long time.

I've got to hand it to Toby Flood too, I was a bit skeptical about his ability to play international rugby at 10 but he's really proven himself.
He really isn't like Wilkinson at all; he's much better at playing a running game but he's still got that sharp goal-kicking most England 10s have displayed.
He works well with Ben Youngs because Youngs seems to be much more of a sniper behind the pack while Flood chimes in behind him to keep control and provide
a stable connection for the backs to use.

Wow, massive game for England, of course it had to be around the RWC...

What was Giteaus card for? Missed that bit, didn't realise they were a man down until after half time!
Deliberate offside at a tryline ruck when the ref was already playing advantage to England.

13th November 2010, the day England outran australia....

Honestly, top performance from England, they did everything that the aussies are so famous for. The back three cut the aussie team to ribbons! The pack dominated the breakdown and the scrum half dazzled and confused until he took an injury. So sudden and so welcome :) To be fair, I really thought England would be looking to scrum at every opportunity, as it went, there were around four. England were attacking from deep in there own 22, sometimes on there own 5 metre, which is unheard of for us poms and did it well. Having said that there are still areas to work on so we dont get too cocky, like giving away needless penaltys and finishing off the pressure. We could of got 2 or three more tries I reckon. On another note, i expected more from Pocock, at first he was getting his hands on the breakdown, earned a penalty and turned it once, but as far as I noticed every time he was close 2 or 3 English players would hurl themselves at him. Good performance by England and pats on the back all round :)

Oh and Quade Coopers tackling was cringeworthy. At one point I saw Ben Youngs shrug off an attempted tackle from him.

Last edited:
13th November 2010, the day England outran australia....

Honestly, top performance from England, they did everything that the aussies are so famous for. The back three cut the aussie team to ribbons! The pack dominated the breakdown and the scrum half dazzled and confused until he took an injury. So sudden and so welcome :) To be fair, I really thought England would be looking to scrum at every opportunity, as it went, there were around four. England were attacking from deep in there own 22, sometimes on there own 5 metre, which is unheard of for us poms and did it well. Having said that there are still areas to work on so we dont get too cocky, like giving away needless penaltys and finishing off the pressure. We could of got 2 or three more tries I reckon. On another note, i expected more from Pocock, at first he was getting his hands on the breakdown, earned a penalty and turned it once, but as far as I noticed every time he was close 2 or 3 English players would hurl themselves at him. Good performance by England and pats on the back all round :)

Oh and Quade Coopers tackling was cringeworthy. At one point I saw Ben Youngs shrug off an attempted tackle from him.
I reckon he belongs in League. Great 'footwork' - as in his dancing around looks pretty in the event it pays off, and ends up looking like a douche/******** when it doesn't.

He'd be a decent defender in league - no arm tackles and such. Can't cut it in Rugby though.

I reckon he belongs in League. Great 'footwork' - as in his dancing around looks pretty in the event it pays off, and ends up looking like a douche/******** when it doesn't.

He'd be a decent defender in league - no arm tackles and such. Can't cut it in Rugby though.

He was looking to sign up with Parramatta earlier this year but opted to stay for the World Cup. Can definatly see him switching to league come 2012.

England has discovered Australia's little secret... weak defence at 10. Run the ball down the 10 channel and you can unlock the Aussie inside defence. All the fancy, dinky, prancing footwork in the world ain't gonna help you tackle.

Didn't see the game yet but really nice to see england beat AUS.
I'm looking forward to next weekend when they take on Samoa.
Should be a good game.

So good to see England run the ball, and so effectively too. Ashton's second try was a beauty, great work from Youngs and Lawes. Cueto's sidesteps were stunning. Just a great all round game :)

Well played england, really looked good in this one. Hape ran hard and made decent yards, targeting Gits and Cooper was clever to get over the advantage line. Flood is a bit rushed in general play for my liking but the boy can kick a ball. Tindall was pretty bad, i think half the loosies on the field are quicker. Youngs was a real spark, had a great game. Back three were all very good, Cueto turned the clock back bigtime in the second half with those two breaks.

I have a few question marks over Lawes in general play, seems like he either is a bit upright or is a bit lightweight but seems to get hammered everytime he tries to carry it up. Throws himself about though.

I thought there was massive interference for Ashton's first try, watched it a couple of times and i reckon Genia was clearly taken out. That coupled with James Bieber missing the first 3 kicks really helped England get going to a great start. Good one to watch all round and a deserved win for the english, looks like they have a nice team starting to shape up once they find someone to replace Tindall's corpse in midfield.

Latest posts