• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England's future.

Miles Anderson

Academy Player
If England wishes to make any progress past the initial stages of the World Cup they have to start to play 'in the moment', instead of the continual insistence on playing a formulaic mode of rugby. Borthwick has inherited a squad that is devoid of imagination and the ability to adapt to the changeable fortunes of a rugby game. That was down to Eddie Jones who approached coaching like a schoolmaster, "it's either my way or the highway". Rugby is a changeable game ; a dropped pass, a loose tackle, a careless kick all contribute to change the flow of the game in an instant. It is now time to encourage the team to keep the ball alive, instead of the continual box kicking ,which unless pin perfect only gives the ball to the other side. There is also a huge weakness mid field; Slade and Tuilagi are devoid of imagination and a real desire to take the ball at speed and that goes for the rest of the team. There is no real desire to dominate in every way, no self belief and a huge lack of confidence and unless the coaching staff start to employ help in expanding players imagination and originality and encourage continual improvisation and confidence and a belief that they really are the best, we're doomed.

Imagine if they ever got combined in some freak genetic program to produce Faf Dupont, or would it be Antoine de Klerk?

Or imagine if Dombrant actually went to holiday in SA for the summer, got absolutely hench (like all their players do legally somehow) and then used his rugby brain to be a beast with a great rugby brain.

Hear me out
Mike Brown
5 starts for tigers
5 wins
400 minutes out of 400 minutes played
2 tries

The future is Brown like my underwear

I don't agree with people that criticise the English premiership. I think there are loads of good English players to choose from, particularly on the wing at the moment which is not traditionally an English strength (inside centre is still a bit of a problem). England just need a coach/ manager that picks the right players to align to a particular game plan/style. Im not seeing any coherence in selection and tactics at the moment.

I don't agree with people that criticise the English premiership. I think there are loads of good English players to choose from, particularly on the wing at the moment which is not traditionally an English strength (inside centre is still a bit of a problem). England just need a coach/ manager that picks the right players to align to a particular game plan/style. Im not seeing any coherence in selection and tactics at the moment.
So true, this is big issue.
SB is very pragmatic, but we dont have the players for that style.

So true, this is big issue.
SB is very pragmatic, but we dont have the players for that style.
I think we do...and even better we have players coming through who will add to it.

Sb just has to be strong enough to drop certain players and bring the right players in.

There's a world of difference between 'good' at club level and effective on the international stage. The better proxy for the international game is Europe and we've been nowhere in that in the last couple of years.

Internationals are called 'test' matches for a reason and there's a massive step up from the club game. Yes our coaching team needs to get its act together, and I have doubts they can, but it is very early days for them. But don't be deceived by the Prem - some of the basketball stuff isn't even cutting it there any more. I'm actually quite encouraged that the top 3 is currently Sarries, Sale and Tigers all of who are quite capable of chucking it around but who tend to build decent foundations first.

Borthwick's first squad fully of his own choosing will be telling. We always have squadrons of talented players, but how they're developed before they get to the international stage is another matter.

We always have squadrons of talented players, but how they're developed before they get to the international stage is another matter.
Good article in the Times this morning on this very subject. Some stats about how frighteningly little rugby our talented youngsters play in the crucial development years of 18-22 to the extent that they're referred to as 'Professional Trainers'.

In a rare ray of sunshine, what we can no longer refer to as the Saxons look like they'll be back next year. Good news.

Have they scrapped the Saxons name?
I used to enjoy some of the Saxons games more than the 1st 15 games sometimes. Loads of young players and used to play some good rugby.

Yeah a few years back, not sure if we've had any games since then where the name would be used - it's a bit of a weird one because even when the name was in use we also had some games where it was "England XV" (like against Barbarians). Not sure if they're going with a new name or just having England A/England XV

Good article in the Times this morning on this very subject. Some stats about how frighteningly little rugby our talented youngsters play in the crucial development years of 18-22 to the extent that they're referred to as 'Professional Trainers'.
Do they have a breakdown by club, or is it just in general?

I never really got the impression that youngsters don't get a shot in the prem, to me it feels like there's lots of young players knocking around (Bevan Rodd has over 50 senior appearances at 22, JvP has 38 at 21, Bailey 40 at 21, Ojomoh 36 at 22, Chessum 36 at 22, Heyes 56 at 23 etc.)

The point was made on something I was listening to that with the salary cap as it is, clubs couldn't afford to have a young player go out on loan to get game time as they were needed as maybe third choice cover on the bench.

Latest posts