• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

English summer rugby

Maverick1987

First XV
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Leicester
Hi guys just posting as I'm interested to hear what we think as Englishman can take from the summer (lions tour and tour of Argentina) also posting the team you would like to see in the near future as I'm a team sheet freak ;)

At the minute mine would stand at

1. Corbs
2. T Youngs
3. Cole
4. Atwood
5. EDIT : Launchbury :p
6. Wood
7. Kvesic
8. Morgan
9. B Youngs (or care if he can't pull his finger out his arse)
10. Burns
11. Yarde
12. 36
13. Tuilagi
14. Wade
15. Brown

Last edited:
We do these pretty regularly, but I'm a sucker for them anyway. For the autumn, I'd like something like:

1. Corbisiero
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Launchbury
5. Parling
6. Robshaw
7. Wood
8. Morgan
9. Care
10. Burns
11. May
12. Twelvetrees
13. Tuilagi
14. Wade
15. Brown

16. Webber
17. Vunipola
18. Wilson
19. Attwood
20. Kvesic
21. tbc
22. Flood
23. Foden

1. Corbs
2. T Youngs
3. Cole
4. Atwood
5. Launchberry
6. Wood
7. Kvesic
8. Morgan
10. Burns
11. Yarde
12. 36
13. Tuilagi
14. Wade
15. Brown

Yes please.
Though I'd start Foden at 15.

16. Webber
17. Vunipola
18. Wilson
19. Parling
20. Robshaw/Croft
21. Care
22. Farrell
23. Brown/Eastmond

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Yes please.
Though I'd start Foden at 15.

16. Webber
17. Vunipola
18. Wilson
19. Parling
20. Robshaw/Croft
21. Care
22. Farrell
23. Brown/Eastmond

yeh it was touch and go for me with foden or brown if foden can play like he did in the AP final everyday he'd definatly be in ! I'd like to see billy vunipola on the bench too for big impact .

Hi guys just posting as I'm interested to hear what we think as Englishman can take from the summer (lions tour and tour of Argentina) also posting the team you would like to see in the near future as I'm a team sheet freak ;)

1. Corbs
2. T Youngs
3. Cole
4. Atwood
5. Launchberry
6. Wood
7. Kvesic
8. Morgan
10. Burns
11. Yarde
12. 36
13. Tuilagi
14. Wade
15. Brown
1. Corbs
2. T Youngs
3. Cole
4. Atwood
5. Launchberry
6. Wood
7. Kvesic
8. Morgan
10. Burns
11. Yarde
12. 36
13. Tuilagi
14. Wade
15. Brown
1. Corbs
2. T Youngs
3. Cole
4. Atwood
5. Launchberry
6. Wood
7. Kvesic
8. Morgan
5. Launchberry
5. Launchberry

5. Launch

2150123093.jpg

1. Corbs
2. T Youngs
3. Cole
4. Atwood
5. EDIT : Launchbury :p
6. Wood
7. Kvesic
8. Morgan
10. Burns
11. Yarde
12. 36
13. Tuilagi
14. Wade
15. Brown

As Ollyy said, Foden over Brown at 15,and then for me I'd have Joseph in there at number 23. over both Brown and Eastmond.

The other thing is that I don't know how Yarde seems to have leapfrogged May in the pecking order..

England have had a hugely positive summer IMO players with the lions will come back so much better than before while young guns in Arg have been given a go, really interesting to see how they go this November. I hope that Farrel can keep up the improved attacking ability we saw in the latter half of the lions tour, will make enland more interesting regardless of who they play at 10.

As Ollyy said, Foden over Brown at 15,and then for me I'd have Joseph in there at number 23. over both Brown and Eastmond.

The other thing is that I don't know how Yarde seems to have leapfrogged May in the pecking order..
Gah, I always bloody forget May despite him being one of my favourite players!
Would definitely have him involved, either on the wing or at 23.

Judging by this and your post in the other thread about Attwood, I'm guessing you didn't see any of the Argentinian matches?

May did nothing special (not counting him out at all) and Yarde played very well.
Yarde is also probably the biggest of the potential wingers, according to Lancaster anyway (he said: "He's closer to 100kg than 90kg...", even though his stats say otherwise)

I'd have:

1. Corbisiero
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Launchbury
5. Attwood
6. Robshaw
7. Kvesic
8. Morgan
9. Simpson
10. Burns
11. Yarde
12. Twelvetrees
13. Tuilagi
14. Wade
15. Foden

16. Webber
17. Vunipola
18. Wilson
19. Parling
20. Wood
21. Vunipola
22. Farrell
23. Eastmond

Last edited:
May barely got a chance in Argentina.
Like many he had an average-at-best game vs CONSUR XV and then was ignored for the tests.

And Yarde was picked and played very well...

Does that mean you then don't pick Yarde?

Perhaps.
I like Yarde, I really do, but I'd at least start May in one game on the wing. Think he has shown enough for Gloucester to suggest he could be a great international winger.

And Yarde was picked and played very well...

Does that mean you then don't pick Yarde?
May was the form winger of the last half-season in the Premiership. And for me, putting two tries away against the likes of Northampton, Bath and Saracens means a hell of a lot more than Yarde putting a few away against Argentina's seconds/thirds.

He also got the short-end of the stick on tour, having to play in a second-string England team, with Myler at the helm. It was frustratingly obvious at the time that he wouldn't have had as good a game as Yarde and then get forgotten about.

He also played in the last test, albeit at short notice, and was completely outshone by Yarde.

I'm not saying Yarde is now going to be selected ahead of May for the next ten years, but he deserves to be for the next couple of matches.

No scrum-half replacement Rats? Very risky. I'd rather go without a replacement fly-half than a replacement scrum-half.

Not sure what I want tbh. Part of me would like to rest the Lions players this autumn, if we could get the clubs to go along with it, even if its just for one or two games.

edit: Regardless of anything else, the test selection tells us who we can expect Lancaster to pick out of Yarde and May at the moment. I think Yarde may be ahead of Wade actually in their minds when it comes to big tests. More solid.

Last edited:
If I'm honest no SH replacement was a bit of an oversight from me! I would have one instead of a FH, but that's not going to happen realistically.
I would probably have someone on instead of Binny Bunipona, but I'm reluctant to say that I'd want a SH that doesn't get the ball away as an absolute priority.
So I don't know who I'd pick. Simpson isn't going to be anywhere near the team though, unless Lancaster saw what I saw on the lions tour.

Just to clarify what I think about picking a SH. If you are confident in your team's attacking ability, then having a SH who get's the ball to the FH and has a slightly more cautious sensibility when it comes to decision making is key to getting the most out of them.
In weaker teams a SH that likes to probe is essential if you want to create space for your dull back line. We shouldn't be in that position anymore...

I agree that the lions players should be rested, I think Cole and Parling could really benefit from it, and it gives us a proper opportunity to look at Wilson and Attwood.
I'd happily give Ben Youngs a rest too, but that should be obvious.

I'd go with Yarde being ahead of Wade too, I think he's pretty much got his spot in the bag. As you say he's solid, but with potential to be quite an effective try scorer.
Whereas Wade still has to give Ashton the coup de grace.

Last edited:
Haha, to be fair when I was thinking of including May it was at the expense of Wade.
Thought I'd get lynched for suggesting it though :p

Judging by this and your post in the other thread about Attwood, I'm guessing you didn't see any of the Argentinian matches?

No I actually saw every minute of every game England played - it's just I have a rather bad habit of not noticing locks much of the time. Perhaps because the games were hardly much of an armwrestle in the tight ?

As you say Yarde played well - what I meant was that, as Olyy said Yarde was preferred to May without May having much chance, and this is despite the England coaching set-up specifically name-dropping May as one of the standout premiership players, along with a few others. I don't have any trouble with Yarde being there by any means, but I just wonder what Lancaster has seen to push Yarde to the front of the queue, kind of thing.

Just to clarify what I think about picking a SH. If you are confident in your team's attacking ability, then having a SH who get's the ball to the FH and has a slightly more cautious sensibility when it comes to decision making is key to getting the most out of them.
In weaker teams a SH that likes to probe is essential if you want to create space for your dull back line. We shouldn't be in that position anymore...

I see where you're coming from certainly - but the 9 creates space for your 10 by being seen as a bit of a danger himself, as a good running 10 can create space for his midfield and outside backs by being seen as a danger.

Youngs struck me as quite odd on the tour because even though we know him as a sniping 9, he seemed to do largely what you're describing as the ideal 9 - he mostly just shipped the ball in a fairly timely manner. Rarely probed for gaps. Passing was much improved from the ****e he's shovelled n the face of his backs at Tiggers.

I hope that Farrel can keep up the improved attacking ability we saw in the latter half of the lions tour.

Haha I don't believe for a minute that you want that mate :p - I'm fairly sure the other home nations would be pretty delighted if he went back to playing like an arse :p

Last edited:
I don't think Yarde and May are even competing with each other.

I think Lancaster wants one winger to be a very good all round athlete/player and is dependable.
And he wants his other winger to be able to create things, that's the spot May is competing for, his competition is Wade and Ashton.

Latest posts