EOYT: United States vs Tonga, 17/11/2012

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Parc Eirias, Colwyn Bay, Wales (17-11-2012, 20:00 GMT)

United States.png
Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
Tonga.png

Referee: Francisco Pastrana (Argentina)
Assistant referees: Tim Hayes (Wales), Wayne Davies (Wales)
Television Match official: TBD

This match along with all of the matches at Colwyn Bay will be streamed live on IRB.com for everybody around the world. (http://www.irb.com/live/video.html)

Chris Wyles out of the lineup against Tonga.

Shawn

Pittman

Chris

Biller

Eric

Fry

Brian

Doyle

Louis

Stanfill

Scott

Lavalla

John

Quill

Todd

Clever

Robbie

Shaw

Toby

L'Estrange

Luke

Hume

Andrew

Suniula

Paul

Emerick

Cornelius

Dirksen

Zachary

Pangelinan

Derek

Asbun

Nick

Wallace

Zachary

Fenoglio

Inaki

Basauri

Peter

Dahl

Mike

Petri

Roland

Suniula

Gearoid

McDonald

Go Eagles, too bad about Wyles they'll need all the help they can get.

Tonga Team to play USA

1.Alisona Taumalolo
2.Elvis Taione
3.Halani 'Aulika
4.Joe Tu'ineau
5.Tukulua Lokotui
6.Sitiveni Mafi
7.Nili Latu (C)
8.Viliami Ma'afu
9.Taniela Moa
10.Fangatapu 'Apikotoa
11.Fetu'u Vainikolo
12.Sione Piukala
13.Sukanaivalu Hufanga
14.Will Helu
15.Vungakoto Lilo
Bench:
16.Ilaisa Ma'asi
17.Kisi Pulu
18.Tevita Mailau
19.Hale T Pole
20.Josh Afu
21.Viliame 'longi
22.Eddie Paea
23.Alipate Fatafehi

Wyles was expected to be out, as he informed the squad well in advance he had a personal commitment that would rule him out for the week. As everyone knows, the Eagles success will depend on their rate and efficiency at the breakdown. If they get quick clean ball without over committing, then they can play their expansive rugby. Tonga will attack the 9-10 hinge hard. I charted Tonga's first half vs. Italy, and their ball only made it outside the centers twice, so USA has to really make their one up tackles.

Well I guess you're right we only target in the middle but that doesn't say there's no firepower out wide in fact it was the wings making the breaks through the middle one thing i like to see is Piukala being used more to punch holes through the defense allowing more outside options..Cause when Hufanga's on song he can be a handful just like Vainikolo

Well I guess you're right we only target in the middle but that doesn't say there's no firepower out wide in fact it was the wings making the breaks through the middle one thing i like to see is Piukala being used more to punch holes through the defense allowing more outside options..Cause when Hufanga's on song he can be a handful just like Vainikolo

No doubt, Tonga do have the ability to hit out wide. I'm just saying their base pattern seems to be hitting the forwards in the hinge same-way and then the FH will make a call if he sees something on or on a counter attack. Most teams pretty much do this, but the Pacific Islanders especially excel in this area because they embrace contact and close quarter games. Like I mentioned before, I have only watched and charted the first half.

Tonga's two attacking scrums were both on the right hand side of the field. Each time 10 hit 12 running what looks to be an unders line. The forwards not in the immediate ruck came around the corner and hit up the hinge. Like I said, pretty much every team has a pattern similar to this, but Tonga just have a tendency to really use their forwards in attack and rarely spin the ball wide. Also with Otai just coming in, I'm sure everything is pretty basic right now.

Last edited:
Yeah I picked up on the same thing and Tonga play to their strength (forwards) only one thing that i find is that to many forwards are out and about waiting for the ball allowing easy turnovers at crucial points its simply not enough on the deck to secure the ball or their too slow to the ruck but all this will be tweaked as they go. The problem is that their tendency to keep it close is energy consuming i hope i see more of the back line this game.

They are just getting to the anthems now if anybody wants to watch:

http://www.irb.com/live/video.html

LaValla looks a little fired up during the tune.

But Tonga came out very well and ran in a try in only 2 minutes!

Edit later, Tonga's tough defense, especially that front row of theirs, and a couple USA miscues keep that 5 point Tongan lead all through the first half, until a Shaw try with one minute left makes it 10-5 at the half.

2nd half edit: both teams exchanged penalties and the score is now 13 to 8... 52 minutes in.

edit at 59' : Tongans get their second try, thanks to Tuineau. If they can manage to convert this one it will be a two point lead.

Last edited:
They're dominating now, the Tongans don't get tired like the Eagles in a bruising game like this. They have a 9 point lead with 4 minutes to play looking pretty insurmountable.

That last high tackle looked like a brief rear naked choke. Match got pretty exciting 80 minutes in when the Tongans only had to kick into touch and end it.

But in the end it was a final score of Tonga 22 - USA 13.

Last edited:
Good game, USA really looked tired in the last 20 minutes, still lots of positives for both teams out of this match.

Good game, USA really looked tired in the last 20 minutes, still lots of positives for both teams out of this match.

No kidding about the Eagles looking tired. Their fitness looked worse than a Ric Suggit coached Canadian side.

Well Played game thoughwould expected more from both teams they were in it till the end

My thoughts of the match:

Front-row - scrum was under pressure tonight, got pushed back on own ball a few times and made Clever have to work to get it out cleanly, but fitness was lacking. Biller missed a couple of lineout throws today but still solid. Lineout defense was solid (though I don't know how much can be contributed exactly to front row), and scrum did enough to make it manageable, better than last year. But that fitness is killer. The fact Biller and Pittman are unaffiliated at the moment is probably why they aren't fit.
Grade: C+

Second-row - Stanfill was nothing special tonight, got penalized in the breakdown a couple of times for killing the ball, nothing special with ball in hand today, no turnovers created. Doyle left early, Basauri was quiet as well. But the lineout wasn't so bad. Lackluster performance overall.
Grade: C

Back-row - Real bright spot for the USA today. Clever was fantastic as usual making great tackles, great runs, solid in defense. LaValla made some nice tackles, real good at getting to breakdown, and really added pressure in lineout defense. Quill is impressing after questionable ARC performances, just doing what he needs to do. Solid in support, gets around the park. Overall, back 3 in my opinion was the best unit of the match from either side. Peter Dahl came in for Quinn, did good to stop first lineout drive.
Grade: A-

Forward pack - Overall start to finish was inconsistent. Scrum was under pressure at end but was serviceable through match (hard to say that a year ago). Lineout really put a lot of pressure on Tonga and clearly seemed to be their emphasis of attack. Too many handling errors for me, too many breakdown penalties. Slow in first 30, great from minutes 30-50, average from 50-60, flat in last 20. Forward subs were pretty much a non-factor. Fitness is really lacking though and hurt team in final 20 minutes again. Forwards didn't look to break line late in game and offered no problems to Tonga at the end.
Grade: B-

Scrum-half - Robbie Shaw certainly didn't look as special as last week, did get a try running support right place right time. His kicking was not consistent today, and his decision to kick to me often seemed the wrong one. Shaw also got caught a couple of times with the ball and nothing to do. Petri wasn't on for that long but his first few passes were lacking and was late to breakdown a couple of times. Grade: B-

Fly-half - I thought coming in Tonga would attack him a lot and they did put a ton of pressure on him. Had some bad punts and runs where he got caught alone. Missed a few tackles but that was to be expected. Generaled some nice plays at end of first half and into second half but then again fell off and made questionable decisions.
Grade: B-

Centers - Andrew Suniula had his usual runs of smashing into defenders, but Tonga were ready and able to contain it mostly. Was great in supporting Emerick at end of half and his offload to Shaw after led to only USA try. Emerick was great at end of first half, getting into breakdown, making solid run, and his great offload to Andrew led to their try. Not completely sure why he was subbed off for Roland, I guess they maybe wanted a little more pace but Roland didn't make an impact.
Grade: B

Wings - Luke Hume had a great match, and for me was the USA Back of the Match. Great in attack although he got isolated a few times. Vicious footwork and speed almost got him a couple of tries including great effort at end. In defense made huge tackle on Tonga #1 into touch when overload looked to be on. Dirksen wasn't impressive, but wasn't bad either. I think he might have dropped a kick at some point and had a couple of runs but otherwise don't remember much of him doing anything.
Grade: B+

Fullback - Zach Pangelinan's first test wasn't too bad. He had goalkicking duties today. Missed a sitter in the first half that was disappointing but I believe was 3 from 4 today. Wasn't ever really in attack and don't recall him making many, if any, tackles. The fact that the team was confident to go for the sticks was good. I thought at the time with 4 minutes left (when Tonga got another yellow) he should've taken a shot at 3 to make it a 6 point game. But that is a team decision, not his, and I don't know if his range extended to 45 meters out.

Backs - Really didn't get enough ball in attack. Hume counter-attacking was their best offense but other than that the backline was quiet today. Cornelius Dirksen could've been off the field and nobody would've realized. Tolkin wants the team to play expansive, exploit out wide with backs but you can't do it if ball doesn't make it outside #12. Still eager to see if Ngwenya can squeeze into squad for Romania but I doubt it at this stage. James Paterson would've been nice to have on tour if he was able to make it. Chris Wyles could've made a difference in game decision-wise being a senior player.

As a team, the USA need to work on fitness no doubt. But today we saw bright spots in team attack and for the most part team defense was solid. Two second half tries to Tonga were off of a missed tackle though, and once you make a linebreak it's tough to catch up and stop. We need to finish in attack and score tries when we get to the goal line, we are not good enough to take 3 even if we kept hitting them. Today's game was a great improvement from 44-13? last summer vs. Tonga but I honestly feel the USA should be disappointed to not come away with the win. But they should be encouraged they are heading in right direction and can compete with teams for stretches. Credit must be given to Tonga, once they got their early yellow 4 minutes into second half they really turned around and upped their intensity and imposed themselves into the game again. Tonga truly deserved to win the match and the better team overall won today.

Unfrotuantely USA have no subs outside of Dahl and Basauri that you are comfortable with putting in. No front row subs (Asbun maybe but he's been hurt). The prop replacements were awful in ARC, so not a lot of confidence to throw them in a test match versus a physical Tonga.
Overall match grade: B

Last edited:
Congrats to the Tongan fans on that one. I wish the USA had been able to hang with them the whole match, and if the Pacific Nations tourney really expands to include the Eagles plus Canada, then they will have to improve on that because the Eagles will have to get used to playing Tonga yearly, not to mention Samoa.

Dirksen really did not impress me on defense. It will be nice to get Ngwenya and Paterson back in the squad.

Latest posts