[EOYT] Canada vs. Namibia. 07/11/14

LittleGuy

First XV
Country Flag
Canada
Canada.png
Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
Namibia.png

Canada vs. Namibia. 07/11/14. 19:00 GMT( 2:00 p.m. EST, 11:00 a.m. PST) Eirias Park, Colwyn Bay, Wales.

Referee: Stuart Berry (South Africa)

Broadcast: Live stream(check Rugby Canada's website for details.)

Lineups:

Well a game I was really excited for since I'm Canadian and there are a few Namibian players I absolutely love to watch a.k.a. Burger and Kotze. And now is almost utterly meaningless to me since there will be absolutely no broadcast of this game. This might end up being one of the least watched test matches in the history of the top 25 ranked countries of the IRB as a modest to terrible crowd is likely for this contest in Colwyn Bay.

Can't put into words how farcical I feel this all is and the IRB have really dropped the ball(amongst others), it's too bad neither Union seems to care either, I remember this situation coming up about 7-8 years ago and Doug Crosse, Canada's media guy at the time got off his ass, bought some mics and did an ad hoc internet radio broadcast of the game which at least would have been something. Relying on twitter updates is pathetic especially considering the time of day this is at for Canadian fans. We've essentially been told by the IRB they don't give a **** about us, and would rather try and grow the game in North Wales and flog that stillborn RGC 1404 franchise.

Edit: I hold out some limited hope someone will get some sanity and get off their duff and stream this game.

Last edited:
now now littleguy, were did you get that tv channel ? is it any good ? should i pay for it ?

ahh so free is something :) btw lets get back on topic

canada by 30 + ?

I'd have to see lineups but Namibia is taking this game seriously they've called up Burger and most of their top guys. 30+ would really surprise me that would take a pretty good Canadian performance which has been lacking in the last year and a half. Just throwing it out there but I'd think 15-20 points would be an OK win at this juncture.

To be perfectly honest, I'll take a win by 10 or more after the string of losses lately. I don't know the Namibian side well but I think we underestimate them at our peril. We haven't done enough in the last 18 months to look past Finland or Pakistan. Last November, I got the feeling we went into the Romanian game feeling like we obviously were going to win and that bit us in the a$$. Romania is now ahead of us in the international rankings. This will end the same way if we are not careful. When I see the lineup we will get an indication about what to expect.

Yeah I picked Canada by 10 on superbru, hope Crowley takes this game seriously.

Namibia could be stronger than us at several positions depending on their lineup, but likely at #3,#7(or whatever Burger plays on Friday) #10 and #15. With a chance of being fairly equal(or at the minimum holding their own) in the rest of the forwards, the difference in talent levels will be mainly in the backline and especially on the bench but seeing how we've played in the 2nd half lately that latter advantage might be a little negated.

Have any of us thought of writing angry emails, tweets, letters, send smoke signals, carvings in their HQ doors to Rugby Canada. They have to know they can't dick around their fan base like they have been doing. There is no reason for this game to be in North Wales AND NOT be televised/streamed. Canada should stand up to those turds at the IRB while simultaneously pulling their heads out of their own butts.

According to http://www.sarugbymag.co.za/blog/details/burger-back-to-lead-namibia this is the lineup Namibia will be using. Looks like a tough team but it's one Canada should handle though I'm not expecting Canada to thrash them like they did Portugal last year. Definitely can't look past them as they will be looking to make an impact and gunning for a win. Take a "lesser" team lightly and it can bite you hard.

Namibia:
1) Johnnie Redelinghuys
2) Torsten van Jaarsveld
3) André Schlechter
4) Morné Blom
5) Tjiuee Uanive
6) Tinus du Plessis
7) Jacques Burger
8) PJ van Lill
9) Eneill Buitendag
10) Theuns Kotzé
11) David Philander
12) Johan Deysel
13) Darryl de la Harpe
14) Danie Dames
15 Chrysander Botha

Subs: 16 Rathony Becker, 17 Franklin Bertholini, 18 Casper Viviers, 19 Stefan Neustädt, 20 Rohan Kitshoff, 21 Ryan de la Harpe, 22 Shawn Kaizemi, 23 Johann Tromp.

I'm betting Canada doesn't name a roster until the day before, as usual, which bugs me but I understand why. Anyways I'm gonna speculate but really most options aren't that hard to figure out assuming everyone is available, which they should be. The only player I've read that can't make it is Carpenter.
Yay Canada Speculation:
1) Hubert Buydens
2) Ray Barkwill(Crowley believes in him though I don't know why, if it were up to me I'd just leave him in Romania after the AIs are done)
3) Jason Marshall
4) Jamie Cudmore
5) Tyler Hotson
6) Jebb Sinclair
7) Nanyak Dala
8) Richard Thorpe(he's eligible somehow, might as well try him out)
9) Gordie McRorie
10) Connor Braid
11) Taylor Paris
12) Ciaran Hearn
13) DTH van der Merwe
14) Jeff Hassler
15) James Pritchard
Subs: 16) Ryan Hamilton, 17) Andrew Tiedemann, 18) Jake Ilnicki, 19) Brett Buekeboom, 20) John Moonlight, 21) Sean White, 22) Conor Trainor 23) Sean Duke

If Blevins gets the start at 12 I may have an aneurysm.

Last edited:
I have a feeling we will see Parfrey again at 10, I honestly don't think he was that bad against the Championship Selects and Braid did come on very late. My guess is that Parfrey will be 10 and Braid 12. Pretty much agree with the rest of your line up.

Namibian no.2 Torsten van Jaarsveld is a good hooker. I just can't understand why Namibia don't get in Anton Bresler at lock or if they've tried, why Bresler doesn't go along as I can't see him jog out for SA at any stage with the amount of guys coming through at lock for us ahead of him. I like both teams but would have to hope for Namibia here; our 'little brothers' and they've been copping a lot of flack ITO postere here saying they shouldn't be allowed into the RWC ahead of Russia/Romania/Uruguay.

Namibia will likely be stronger than s at #'s, 2,3,7,10 and 15. With things a bit of a wash at #'s1,6 and 20.

Can't believe there is no coverage. I thought that two RWC teams playing a year prior to the showpiece would be automatically broadcast here on Supersport with not negligable support over here for our neighbors nevermind for the sake of growing the game.

On twitter Rugby Canada said they were working on trying to set up a stream for Fridays game.

Also apparently Canada's roster has been named with five changes from last game. Apparently Hassler, DTH, Braid, Marshall and Sinclair are starting and Wilson-Ross is on the bench. This is all from twitter though, the article on Rugby Canada isn't working for me.

Makes me think Sinclair will move to 8-Man with Moonlight at Blindside and Dala at Openside with Gilmour on the bench. Though Gilmour may be a better starting Blindside option than Moonlight. Can anyone else try to get the full roster?

Last edited:
On twitter Rugby Canada said they were working on trying to set up a stream for Fridays game.

Also apparently Canada's roster has been named with five changes from last game. Apparently Hassler, DTH, Braid, Marshall and Sinclair are starting and Wilson-Ross is on the bench. This is all from twitter though, the article on Rugby Canada isn't working for me.

Makes me think Sinclair will move to 8-Man with Moonlight at Blindside and Dala at Openside with Gilmour on the bench. Though Gilmour may be a better starting Blindside option than Moonlight. Can anyone else try to get the full roster?

Here it is:

1- Hubert Buydens â€" Captain (Unattached/Prairie Wolf Pack) Saskatoon, SK

2- Ray Barkwill â€" (Niagara Wasps RFC/Ontario Blues) Niagara Falls, ON

3- Jason Marshall â€" (Hawkes Bay Magpies/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC

4- Tyler Hotson â€" (Doncaster Knights) Vancouver, BC

5- Jebb Sinclair â€" (London Irish/Atlantic Rock) Fredericton, NB

6- Kyle Gilmour â€" (St. Albert RFC/Prairie Wolf Pack) St. Albert, AB

7- Nanyak Dala â€" (Castaway Wanderers/Prairie Wolf Pack) Regina, SK

8- John Moonlight â€" (James Bay AA/Ontario Blues) Pickering, ON

9- Gordon McRorie â€" (Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB

10- Connor Braid â€" (Glasgow Warriors/BC Bears) Victoria, BC

11- Sean Duke â€" (UVIC Vikes/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC

12- Ciaran Hearn â€" (Castaway Wanderers/Atlantic Rock) Conception Bay South, NL

13- Conor Trainor â€" (UBCOB Ravens/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC

14- Jeff Hassler â€" (Ospreys/Prairie Wolf Pack) Okotoks, AB

15- DTH van der Merwe â€" (Glasgow Warriors) Regina, SK

16- Doug Wooldridge â€" (Lindsay RFC/Ontario Blues) Lindsay, ON

17- Ryan Hamilton â€" (Capilano RFC/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC

18- Jake Ilnicki â€" (NSW Country Eagles/BC Bears) Williams Lake, BC

19- Brett Buekeboom â€" (Plymouth Albion) Lindsay, ON

20- Aaron Carpenter â€" (Cornish Pirates RFC) Brantford, ON

21- Sean White â€" (James Bay AA/BC Bears) Victoria, BC

22- Patrick Parfrey â€" (Swilers RFC/Atlantic Rock) St. Johns, NL

23- Jordan Wilson-Ross â€" (James Bay AA/Ontario Blues) Alliston, ON

Looking at this roster and I really like it. Should be a fun game and I really hope Rugby Canada can get the stream worked out and happening because I'd love to watch it.

Front Row: Hubert Buydens, Ray Barkwill, Jason Marshall, Doug Wooldridge, Ryan Hamilton Jake Ilnicki
I'm pretty content with this front row minus the fact baldy gets another start. But I've made it no secret I don't rate Barkwill at the International level. Buydens and Marshall are both real good props and should definitely hold their own. Ilnicki has arguably the brightest future of all our props but still has some work to do. I expect him to come on for Marshall around the 55-60 minute mark and have a good showing. Wooldridge gets another spot on the bench but I'd bet good money he stays there. I just can't see Buydens coming off, especially since he's our Captain. Hopefully Hamilton gets more time this week. I think he's still better than Barkwill, just pretty rusty from his time off. But he won't show real improvement unless we toss him into games. Hopefully Crowley gets him in around the 50 minute mark but I ain't gonna hold my breath.

Second Row: Tyler Hotson, Jebb Sinclair, Brett Buekeboom
Minus the fact that Cudmore is not in the lineup, I think this is one of our better trios. Hotson isn't that impressive but I don't think he makes a lot of mistakes which is good for a forward. Sinclair isn't quite as big or strong as Cudmore but he provides a similar fire with a quicker step. Buekeboom just has the best last name to pronounce in the history of ever and for that reason alone I'm glad he's on the bench. Also he's a good sub to come on and not make many mistakes later in the game when other players are getting tired. These guys do have to step up though because Cudmore won't be around the team much longer. This does makes me wonder if we're saving Cudmore for the Samoa and Romania games when he'll really be needed. I'd love to see a pairing of Sinclair and Cudmore.

Back Row: Kyle Gilmour, Nanyak Dala, John Moonlight, Aaron Carpenter
I thought the domestic trio played well last week and deserved another shot together. I assume Thorpe and/or Ardron will be with the team next week so these three are fighting for spots. I also think Carpenter is reserving Back Row on Friday because they want Sinclair at Lock, don't trust Pearson on the bench and have no other options. At least I really hope he's not moving from Hooker where we need him.

Scrum-Half: Gordie McRorie, Sean White
Gordie is making a good case for the starting spot going forward, though Phil Mack will have something to say about that when he's healthy. Sean White is just there as a worst case scenario option. With Pritchard not playing that also leaves Gordie as the most likely option for kicker, which he's pretty decent at minus that one botched conversion attempt. The only other guy I can think of would be Hearn but Gordie is better.

Other Backs: Connor Braid, Sean Duke, Ciaran Hearn, Conor Trainor, Jeff Hassler, DTH van der Merwe, Patrick Parfrey, Jordan Wilson-Ross
It might be the complete lack of Nick Blevins from the lineup but I'm really content with this grouping of Backs. Braid at Fly-Half makes the most sense to me. He's probably better off in the centers but we don't have the luxury of not trying him out at Fly-Half. Duke is decent on the wing, I mean he drew the attention of the Barbarians. I think he'll have a decent game, especially with Hassler and DTH back to relieve some pressure from the other backs. Hearn and Trainor are a decent pairing at 12 and 13 with some good speed and hands. Hassler and DTH speak for themselves as they are two of our all-time best backs. I'm intrigued by the move to Fullback for DTH. I wonder if they are trying out future replacements for when Pritchard eventually leaves. DTH is a smart player so it could work well. Evans seemed like the heir apparent but it doesn't hurt to have options. Parfrey and Wilson-Ross earned their spots on the bench. Parfrey didn't have a bad game last week but I still don't think he's the answer for Fly-Half in the near future. He does provide decent cover for Fly-Half and the centers though. And Wilson-Ross has been one of the better domestic backs the last while and has definitely earned a spot on the gameday 23. I really hope he gets some game time, subbing off Duke or Trainor.

Last edited:
I think Barkwill is starting because of lack of options in the BR and Hamilton still lacks fitness. DTH at FB was a surprise to me, but again with injuries (Evans), it makes sense. Apparently he started out as a FB in Canada.

Anyone know why Pritch missed out? Did he pick up a knock? Being saved for Samoa?

That's my only worry(even though DTH is obviously one of the most raw talents we've ever had), especially since the Namibian FH, Kotze is a tactical kicking god. I like the half back's combo, and here's hoping Barkwill plays more like he did in the ARC not the RFU game.

My guess is rotation

Yeah makes sense with the short rest, Sunday to Friday, that will be equivalent to RWC timelines so good time to check out the options come 2015. As of now if I were Crowley, Pritch would start vs. Italy and Romania come World Cup time. The other two games he's maybe on the bench just in case it gets tight and we need some goal kicking near by.

I don't remember DTH at fullback at JBAA. He was mostly used on the wing if my memory serves me. Will be interesting to see him have a go there. Evans is always injured so you can't pencil him into the lineup with any certainty.

Also thought we would see Taylor Paris in this one.

I'm assuming Carpenter on the bench is because were a little light on backrow coverage. What happened to Thorpe? He was named to the side and now he doesn't show up on the team sheet. Seems kind of weird to me.