[2014 EOYT] Canada vs. Romania 22/11/14

LittleGuy

First XV
Country Flag
Canada
Canada.png
Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
Romania.png

Canada vs. Romania 22/11/14.18:30 EET(have to figure out Canadian times) Stadionul Arcul de Triumf, Bucharest, Romania.

Referee: Nick Briant (New Zealand)

Broadcast: Official stream through the Romanian Union.

The final tour games for both these sides, both of whom will be looking to finish on a high after fairly middling tours so far. It's alsoa chance for the sides to get another look at each other before they play in a pool game at next years RWC.

Yeah EET time is 10 hours ahead of Pacific time.

My preffered lineup for Romania

1. Buydens
2. Carpenter
3. Marshall
4. Cuddles
5. Phelan
6. Sinclair
7. Thorpe
8. Ardron (assuming he is now healthy)
9. McRorie
10 Braid
11 Paris (He's listed on the tour roster)
12 Trainor
13 DTH
14 Hassler
15 Pritch

16 Barkwell
17 Ilnicki
18 Tiedemann
19 Buekeboom
20 Dala
21 Hearn
22 Wilson-Ross

To two speculators there are Paris and Ardron otherwise this is the best side I can come up with considering current injuries. I'm really perplexed by the Mackenzie ommision. It's not like he was getting game time with Sale.

Last edited:
The only changes I'd make to rusty_lock's roster would be Hotson at 19 instead of Buekeboom, assuming he's available, and Gilmour at 20 instead of Dala so that Dala can rest up and prepare for Dubai and South Africa 7s. Though if Ardron can't go I'd put Thorpe at 8 with Dala at 7 and Sinclair at 6 with Gilmour on the bench. Also you left off Sean White who will almost certainly be the back up scrum-half.

Phil Mackenzie played full 80 for Sale on the 1st and 9th. Not sure what was up last week. Maybe he chose to stay with Sale and try and get back in the starting radar instead of joining Canada. His absence has hurt and we could have used him against Samoa but it's also given JWR, Duke and Trainor a shot and I'm happy about that. Hopefully he can join the team before the RWC so we can get a look at our best possible roster.

Yeah EET time is 10 hours ahead of Pacific time.

My preffered lineup for Romania

1. Buydens
2. Carpenter
3. Marshall
4. Cuddles
5. Phelan
6. Sinclair
7. Thorpe
8. Ardron (assuming he is now healthy)
9. McRorie
10 Braid
11 DTH
12 Trainor
13 DTH
14 Taylor (He's listed on the tour roster)
15 Pritch

16 Barkwell
17 Ilnicki
18 Tiedemann
19 Buekeboom
20 Dala
21 Hearn
22 Wilson-Ross

To two speculators there are Paris and Ardron otherwise this is the best side I can come up with considering current injuries. I'm really perplexed by the Mackenzie ommision. It's not like he was getting game time with Sale.

Rusty, I know that DTH is our best attacking back, but do you really believe that he can play two positions at once?

Oaks lineups for Canada match:

1. Mihaita Lazar
2. Otar Turashvili
3. Horatiu Pungea
4. Alin Coste
5. Valentin Popirlan
6. Mihai Macovei (C)
7. Valentin Ursache
8. Stelian Burcea
9. Valentin Calafeteanu
10. Florin Vlaicu
11. Ionut Botezatu
12. Robert Dascalu
13. Csaba Gal
14. Dorin Manole
15. Catalin Fercu

16. Andrei Radoi
17. Andrei Ursache
18. Paulica Ion
19. Marius Antonescu
20. Vlad Nistor
21. Florin Surugiu
22. Florin Ionita
23. Robert Neagu

CANADA'S STARTING ROSTER TO FACE ROMANIA:
1- Hubert Buydens – (Unattached/Prairie Wolf Pack) Saskatoon, SK
2- Aaron Carpenter – (Cornish Pirates RFC) Brantford, ON
3- Jason Marshall – (Hawkes Bay Magpies/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC
4- Jamie Cudmore – (ASM Clermont Auvergne) Squamish, BC
5- Jon Phelan – (Doncaster Knights/Atlantic Rock) Montreal, QC
6- Jebb Sinclair – (London Irish/Atlantic Rock) Fredericton, NB
7- Nanyak Dala – (Castaway Wanderers/Prairie Wolf Pack) Regina, SK
8- Tyler Ardron –*Captain*(Ospreys) Lakefield, ON
9- Gordon McRorie – (Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB
10- Patrick Parfrey – (Swilers RFC/Atlantic Rock) St. Johns, NL
11- DTH van der Merwe – (Glasgow Warriors) Regina, SK
12- Ciaran Hearn – (Castaway Wanderers/Atlantic Rock) Conception Bay South, NL
13- Conor Trainor – (UBCOB Ravens/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC
14- Jeff Hassler – (Ospreys/Prairie Wolf Pack) Okotoks, AB
15- James Pritchard – (Bedford Blues) Parkes, NSW, Australia

Reserves:
16- Ray Barkwill – (Unattached/Ontario Blues) Niagara Falls, ON
17- Andrew Tiedemann – (Plymouth Albion) St. Albert, AB
18- Doug Wooldridge – (Lindsay RFC/Ontario Blues) Lindsay, ON
19- Kyle Gilmour – (St. Albert RFC/Prairie Wolf Pack) St. Albert, AB
20- Richard Thorpe – (London Welsh) Beckenham, Kent, England
21- Sean White – (James Bay AA/BC Bears) Victoria, BC
22- Jordan Wilson-Ross – (James Bay AA/Ontario Blues) Alliston, ON
23- Nick Blevins – (Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB

Only real disappointing decision was Braid being sent back to Glasgow but I can't blame themn for that. He's gotta be looking for a contract extension with his three month deal almost up. Parfrey just doesn't instill any confidence in me and I think he'll be a glaring weakness.

Ardron back is good news even if he's getting the captaincy back from Buydens. Hopefully he can provide the pack with a boost. Not shocked either that Dala is starting over Thorpe though I do question it.

The addition of Kyle Gilmour on the bench but leaving off any 2nd row sub is confusing. Surely Buekeboom or Houston was available. Unless they mean to push Sinclair to Lock in case Cudmore or Phelan needs to come off.

Last edited:
That would be my guess about Sinclair being moved to Lock as cover. Other than Parfrey at FH and to a lesser degree Dala starting again I quite like that lineup. Hopefully Thorpe comes on earlier for Canada this week I'd say bring him in at half.

I thought when the tour started Buydens was still going to be captain even if Ardron returned to the lineup, maybe Buydens willingly handed it over or something. What is Ardron's record as Canada's captain 0-6 (or 0-5)? Buydens was 2-2 counting the RFU game(other win is Portugal last year).

Edit: I guess McRorie is the FH cover? So if Parfrey is horrible he moves in to that spot and White comes in at SH.

Last edited:
Well that solves the Paris mystery, and thanks for the Thorpe link Rusty, good view.

The big mystery still revolves around where the heck Phil Mackenzie has been.

Edit: Going to go with Canada by 6 or so in this one, though I'm not that confident, last years game vs. the Oaks was one of the most frustrating sporting events I've ever watched so hoping for some redemption today.

Last edited:
Apparently he has been raining all in Romania, I think we will win by 10+, 15+ if Braid was playing. I love our pack and think, unless Parfrey is a disaster, our backline will continue to get their poop in a group and produce some decent results.

Does anyone have a link to the game? I can't seem to find it.

http://www.rugbytv.ro/player/

Kinda wish there was an English commentary option but I'll take what I can get. I have Canada by 8 and that's being optimistic.

- - - Updated - - -

Pritchard misses the early penalty. It wasn't the easiest of angles but still kinda disappointing.