• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

EPCR Challenge Cup 22/23

On 21 November 2022, Oghre joined Leicester Tigers on a short term deal.[6] He made his Leicester debut as a replacement on 11 December 2022 in a 23-17 win against the Ospreys, and featured twice more for Leicester before joining Union Bordeaux Bègles for the rest of the 2022-23 Top 14 season

---

Confirmation...

Very harsh for a retroactively ineligible player. The Worcester and Wasps situation was so messy and everything was so fluid. It's not like they played an injury joker or a short term loanee.

On 21 November 2022, Oghre joined Leicester Tigers on a short term deal.[6] He made his Leicester debut as a replacement on 11 December 2022 in a 23-17 win against the Ospreys, and featured twice more for Leicester before joining Union Bordeaux Bègles for the rest of the 2022-23 Top 14 season

---

Confirmation...

You're acting like no chance tigers didn't register him in the first registration phase.

You're acting like no chance tigers didn't register him in the first registration phase.
but according to Bristol's release that wouldn't be enough to make him eligible.

In addition, the committee heard that clubs must also sign an Additional Player Undertaking to ensure that the three-month contract remains in full force and effect for the entire three-month period, and to ensure that players do not enter into a contract or arrangement with any other club that would prevent them from playing for the club with which they have been registered.

it's the fact that Bristol didn't prevent him from signing with Montpellier that is causing issues (according to Bristol)

In here it says first registration of the season, so that's months prior or? Doesn't give an exact date.

Moreover

EPCR have changed rules in the past, or at least allowed some leeway. Seems mad punishing a club this harshly for aiding a player after two other clubs who feature in the EU rugby competitions folded leaving many out of jobs.

Saracens had no points deducted in 2020

(Slightly different circumstances but point remains that a common sense approach of suspending the points deduction too seems much more appropriate)

Last edited:
Just had confirmation that Oghre was registered before the EPCR "season". I am guessing this starts with the first EPCR match, rather than with whatever club they're with domestically. So that clears the Leicester thing up nicely.

I'd love to talk about the Bristol match earlier tonight vs Perpignan but as much as I loved the first half, the second was back to the bad we've suffered these past 20 months and it's grim. Will be some pretty highlights though.

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 08.51.51.png

Rob in the centres ffs,

Think we'll lose this

Nah you'll be alright. That looks like a strong team to me. Cardiff will have an emotional edge due to Peter Thomas dying the other day but I don't think that'll be enough. Hoping for a good game, though.

Scarlets shoud really have been out of sight by half time, just couldn't convert any of their many chances into try's. Second half was nervy, but they got the win in the end.

Nah you'll be alright. That looks like a strong team to me. Cardiff will have an emotional edge due to Peter Thomas dying the other day but I don't think that'll be enough. Hoping for a good game, though.
Sale's pack size / experience will be difficult for Cardiff today. I'm sat in a cafe in the centre right now and it's wet and a bit humid here. Cardiff's best tactic would have been to play wide and fast but the weather isn't suiting that. There's always a strong wind at the arms park in this type of weather due to the river taff as well so I'm expecting a grind of a game. When Cardiff get into arm wrestles we don't have the pack to manage for 80mins. Would be great to win for Peter but realistically Sale are strong favourites.

Sale's pack size / experience will be difficult for Cardiff today. I'm sat in a cafe in the centre right now and it's wet and a bit humid here. Cardiff's best tactic would have been to play wide and fast but the weather isn't suiting that. There's always a strong wind at the arms park in this type of weather due to the river taff as well so I'm expecting a grind of a game. When Cardiff get into arm wrestles we don't have the pack to manage for 80mins. Would be great to win for Peter but realistically Sale are strong favourites.
Yeah, just had a look at odds checker and it had Sale at 2/5. Hard to see Cardiff get a win against a very good Sale side. Stranger things have happened though and Cardiff are very good when they click. Throw in a good start, a lively crowd and some luck with the ref and they have a decent chance.

Latest posts