• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Euro 2008 draw

The group with France, Italy, Ukraine and Scotland is the most difficult one in my opinion.

Whay are there so many countries per pool. I don remember that in the past although only the leader of the pool were qualified for the final stage. This means also more matches.

Second place hasn't automatically qualified since USA94, we had a play off after coming second in our group for Euro96 and have had playoffs ever since when finishing second.

The bad thing in all this is that we'll have a weak championships in 2008, especially with Austria qualifying and the likes of Ukraine, France and Italy all in the one group so one of them three could miss out with all three well capable of winning the tournaments. One of Spain, Denmark and Sweden also misses out, if we qualify we'll have knocked out either Germany or the Czech Rep, same in England's group. Would have been better to have had 10 groups with the best runner up qualifying automatically with the best third place team making the playoffs.

Do you think they should consider expanding it to more than a 16 team tournament?

Well they could do but only as much as 24 and then we'd be back to the same format that we had in USA94, or they could have 20 teams with 4 pools of 5 teams. If there are going to be weaker host teams like there will be on 2008 and like there could be in 2012 if some of these countries put together a serious bid:

Azerbaijan, Greece, Italy, Romania, Russia and Turkey are all interested in hosting Euro 2012. Poland and Ukraine and Croatia and Hungary put forth joint bids.

I'd like to see 24 teams and have a tournament like we saw in 12 years ago in the States. 6 teams of 4, 2 best third place teams also going through. UEFA would love it I'm sure, will be interesting to see if it's on the agenda.

Ronaldo will be crying again ,But this time with tears of JOY!!!
<

To dream the impossible dream
To fight the unbeatable foe
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go
To right the unrightable wrong
To love pure and chaste from afar
To try when your arms are too weary
To reach the unreachable star

This is my quest
To follow that star
No matter how hopeless
No matter how far

To fight for the right
Without question or pause
To be willing to march into Hell
For a heavenly cause

And I know if I'll only be true
To this glorious quest
That my heart will lie peaceful and calm
When I'm laid to my rest

And the world will be better for this
That one man, scorned and covered with scars
Still strove with his last ounce of courage
To reach the unreachable star

Well just to go off topic, that topic about insirational music was a good one, Because this song is classic, I now listen to it before rugby games or when im feeling like I dont know what im doing anymore.

Since you like the song, what's wrong with puting a little faith in Portugal to win Euro?

Nothing really considering the Greeks won the last time, even better we can dream that Stan the Man will lead the boys in Green to glory in Vienna.

Latest posts