• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

European Champions Cup Semi Final Toulon vs Leinster

Disappointing result but so much better than anyone was expecting. So somewhat mixed feelings at the moment. C'mon Clermont I suppose.

Thought Barnes had good game again!

He probably didn't effect the result but that's about it. As inconsistent as ever, Allez les Juanards.

A bit like Bath against us had Leinster not been so bad all season and losing, Bath not being a side used to winning big games, they'd have won that game. That's the season over 6 weeks earlier than we're used to here in Dublin!

Thought Leinster did very well at the set piece and more than met Toulon at the breakdown. Neither team really looked like scoring a try in normal time.

Gutted for Leinster, but even more disappointed that the French-based Barbarians team are in the final again.

Congrats Toulon. If they go on to win a 3rd ***le in a row, there can be little argument that they're Europe's greatest ever pro club team.

Gutted for Leinster. The pack fronted up admirably.

Toulon were pretty poor, but they were probably the better side. I'm disappointed by our lack of ambition. We were more afraid of losing than trying to win the game. The few times we tried to move the ball instead of kicking it away we actually looked okay. It's a massive shame that we don't back ourselves anymore and only try to play that way when we're chasing a game.

The only reason I'm less disappointed that in previous years is that I've found it harder to get fully emotionally involved in the side this year. Season is essentially over now, might as well give a few of the younger lads a chance.

10. Sexton
12. Te'o
13. Fitzy

If we can have that our attack will be sorted. Madigan can **** off, he used to be a maverick where for every pass like that there was a crazy chip from behind his line that comes off and a cheeky step through the line. Now Mads is a top class goal kicker who can't seem to straighten the line and give a simple pass.

Absolutely gutted.
Like the majority I wrote Leinster off from the get go.
The pack fronted up supremely. Sob was majestic and we fought our way to parity if not dominance in parts through their effort alone.
The backs were as usual very poor , if we had gumption and good decision making we'd have won that game. Sadly the only time we pulled good yardage from our ass was when we really had to play rugby. And then we scored in mere moments.

Credit to Toulon , they're a kingly side and deserved the win in the end. But I believe that the clear faults in Leinsters play since MOC took over came back to bite us once more.

Also Fitzy needs to roam off his wing more, when he does it makes a big difference to Leinster's attack.

Also credit to Leinsters improve defence today, best i've seen all season.

Lads MOC can't get blame for today. It was some poor on field decisions that cost in the end. But Leinster battled performed and really could've won it.

Lads MOC can't get blame for today. It was some poor on field decisions that cost in the end. But Leinster battled performed and really could've won it.
Yes he can. He sent the team out with a negative game plan of playing 9 man rugby. The farthest the ball got out the back line was the scrum half so he could box kick it. Virtually every observer during the week remarked that Toulon were vulnerable out wide and in the 10/12 channel. The game plan didn't set out to exploit this. How often did Leinster players run onto the ball at pace? It's a trend all season. Again, that's a coaching issue.

The pack can't be blamed for today's defeat.

Don't see why not. We played the same insipid, uninspiring rugby we've played all season. Never threaten the opposition, never even try to play unless we're forced to, avoid letting the ball go past the 10 if at all possible. You're never going to win games like these playing that way. You need to show some form of ambition to beat the favourites in their own back yards, like Munster in Perpignan a few years back and Leinster in Toulouse all the way back in 07'.

Latest posts