Euros 2024 - Germany

Bada-Bing!

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Hong Kong
Club or Nation
British Irish Lions

Starts in a month. First match the Hosts v Scotland.

France have named their squad. They've got the strongest squad on paper and for me they are the favourites. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c72p8519n3do

Still, not convinced England are contenders and issues with defence - especially depth in central defence and the full back positions remain and I would say a top class deep lying passing midfielder. But they have a good group, good wide forwards, attacking midfielders and forwards and should they top their group and France theirs then we are due a repeat of that QF in Qatar.

Others - can't count out the Hosts despite their poor record in last few years. Especially their record in the penalty shootout. Only ever having lost one in major competitions.

Scotland? Well if they sneak 3rd place and that is one of the 4 best then they can get through to their first knockouts of the euros.

Starts in a month. First match the Hosts v Scotland.

France have named their squad. They've got the strongest squad on paper and for me they are the favourites. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c72p8519n3do

Still, not convinced England are contenders and issues with defence - especially depth in central defence and the full back positions remain and I would say a top class deep lying passing midfielder. But they have a good group, good wide forwards, attacking midfielders and forwards and should they top their group and France theirs then we are due a repeat of that QF in Qatar.

Others - can't count out the Hosts despite their poor record in last few years. Especially their record in the penalty shootout. Only ever having lost one in major competitions.

Scotland? Well if they sneak 3rd place and that is one of the 4 best then they can get through to their first knockouts of the euros.
I even forgot this was going on. Seems very low key so far. As a WHU fan we have Rice and you are right we have some very in form forwards Kane, Sancho, Saka, Foden.

Not sure who would be my favourites possibly France i guess. Italy, Spain and Croatia seems a decent group.

I even forgot this was going on. Seems very low key so far. As a WHU fan we have Rice and you are right we have some very in form forwards Kane, Sancho, Saka, Foden.

Not sure who would be my favourites possibly France i guess.
Rice is not a passing midfielder. He's a defensive one who puts in good blocks and can carry the ball. But as a pass master who can pass and dictate the play like Kroos, Modric - not for me. Never seen him as a number 6 although he aspires to be one. He's a number 4/8 type midfielder. That's why Arteta plays Jorginho in the 6 role for Arsenal.

If Southgate aspires to avoid penalties then England have got to win it in 120 mins. Most knockout games once they reach ET will end in penalties. Which is why Kane not missing that one v France would probably have gone to pens. And then who knows. And there is bound to be at least one they have this time.

Expanded Squad of 30 announced today at 2pm. Final squad not until 8 June.

Left back is an issue. Both Shaw and Chilwell are injury prone and I doubt both will make the final squad or it would be a mistake to include both. Southgate can be blamed for not building enough left footed options in this position in last 2 years, which will likely mean he opts for a right footer there like Trippier.

A matter of putting it together over 1 month of football, getting to the knockout stages and hitting the right form at the right time, the draw panning out again in their favour and of course dealing with penalties. Not hard….

Expanded Squad of 30 announced today at 2pm. Final squad not until 8 June.

Left back is an issue. Both Shaw and Chilwell are injury prone and I doubt both will make the final squad or it would be a mistake to include both. Southgate can be blamed for not building enough left footed options in this position in last 2 years, which will likely mean he opts for a right footer there like Trippier.

A matter of putting it together over 1 month of football, getting to the knockout stages and hitting the right form at the right time, the draw panning out again in their favour and of course dealing with penalties. Not hard….
The beeb seemed to indicate Sancho won't make the final squad and Grealish isn't a certainty. Grealish hasn't been on great form but Sancho has been great recently. I'm more surprised on the lack of enthusiasm for Sancho tbh and that he's more a wild card.

The beeb seemed to indicate Sancho won't make the final squad and Grealish isn't a certainty. Grealish hasn't been on great form but Sancho has been great recently. I'm more surprised on the lack of enthusiasm for Sancho tbh and that he's more a wild card.
TBF England are blessed in the wide forward positions. Bowen probably deserves to go over Sancho. Cole palmer, Gordon are also pushing for places.

England provisional squad

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal), James Trafford (Burnley).

Defenders: Jarrad Branthwaite (Everton), Lewis Dunk (Brighton), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Jarell Quansah (Liverpool), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Curtis Jones (Liverpool), Kobbie Mainoo (Manchester United), Declan Rice (Arsenal), Adam Wharton (Crystal Palace).

Forwards: Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid), Jarrod Bowen (West Ham), Eberechi Eze (Crystal Palace), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Anthony Gordon (Newcastle), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), James Maddison (Tottenham), Cole Palmer (Chelsea), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ivan Toney (Brentford), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa).

No Rashford, who has had a poor season and Henderson, which is right. And Chilwell, a surprise given Shaw hasn't played in the last 3 months.

Scotland's provisional 28-man squad
Goalkeepers

Zander Clark (Hearts), Craig Gordon (Hearts), Angus Gunn (Norwich City), Liam Kelly (Motherwell).

Defenders Liam Cooper (Leeds United), Grant Hanley (Norwich), Jack Hendry (Al-Ettifaq), Ross McCrorie (Bristol City), Scott McKenna (Copenhagen), Ryan Porteous (Watford), Anthony Ralston (Celtic), Andy Robertson (Liverpool), John Souttar (Rangers), Greg Taylor (Celtic), Kieran Tierney (Real Sociedad).

Midfielders Stuart Armstrong (Southampton), Ryan Christie (Bournemouth), Billy Gilmour (Brighton & Hove Albion), Ryan Jack (Rangers), Kenny McLean (Norwich), John McGinn (Aston Villa), Callum McGregor (Celtic), Scott McTominay (Manchester United).

Forwards Che Adams (Southampton), Ben Doak (Liverpool), Lyndon Dykes (Queens Park Rangers), James Forrest (Celtic), Lawrence Shankland (Hearts).

Rice is not a passing midfielder. He's a defensive one who puts in good blocks and can carry the ball. But as a pass master who can pass and dictate the play like Kroos, Modric - not for me. Never seen him as a number 6 although he aspires to be one. He's a number 4/8 type midfielder. That's why Arteta plays Jorginho in the 6 role for Arsenal.

If Southgate aspires to avoid penalties then England have got to win it in 120 mins. Most knockout games once they reach ET will end in penalties. Which is why Kane not missing that one v France would probably have gone to pens. And then who knows. And there is bound to be at least one they have this time.
But watch how Stones steps up for City and maybe we could have something similar.

But watch how Stones steps up for City and maybe we could have something similar.
Well yes, but Pep and Klopp have tried the inverted centre back and right back stepping into midfield when in possession and then revert when out of possession.

Not sure Southgate has the same nous to try that. He's tried Trent beside Rice in midfield v weak opposition because he doesn't trust him at right back.

He tried to play Stones and Maguire/Dunk at centre back in a higher line v Brazil and Belgium recently and got burned on the counter because none of them are quick enough. Ended up with Walker with the only one with pace running back after Vinicius Jnr and tweaking a hamstring.

He'll likely stick with Stones and Maguire as his centre back pairing. Maguire being the main distributor from the back - either sideways to stones or to Shaw/Trippier at left back. Not going to cut it v top opposition.

The midfield passer should be in centre of midfield and distribution from the back much quicker to progress it upfield to pace from wide positions can be exploit pace behind opposition.

England's squad for Euro 2024

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal).

Defenders: Lewis Dunk (Brighton), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Kyle Walker (Manchester City).

Midfielders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Kobbie Mainoo (Manchester United), Declan Rice (Arsenal), Adam Wharton (Crystal Palace).

Forwards: Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid), Jarrod Bowen (West Ham), Eberechi Eze (Crystal Palace), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Anthony Gordon (Newcastle), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), Cole Palmer (Chelsea), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ivan Toney (Brentford), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa).

Dropped from original 33-man shortlist: James Trafford (Burnley, goalkeeper), Jarrad Branthwaite (Everton, defender), Jarell Quansah (Liverpool, defender), Harry Maguire (Manchester United, defender), Curtis Jones (Liverpool, midfielder), Jack Grealish (Manchester City, forward), James Maddison (Tottenham, forward).

Thank goodness he's learnt from past mistakes and picked on form and dropped Maguire. A squad I can get behind - win or lose.

Glad I missed both England warm up games, which I read were dirge. Still, tournament proper gets started on Friday evening.

They are there for the jolly. I don't think any of their fans expect to get out of the group.

Latest posts