• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

F1: Aussie GP under threat

B

Bullitt

344836-1848510-458-238.jpg

Australia in is danger of losing its season-opening grand prix unless it moves the Melbourne event to the evening, Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone told an Australian newspaper.

Ecclestone told the Sunday Herald Sun he wants the race moved to the evening so it could be broadcast at a better time in the European schedules.

"I would like to make sure we can watch [the race] in Europe and other parts of the world at a respectable time rather than having to get up at three of four in the morning," the Englishman said.

Australia has hosted a round of the championship since 1985, starting with Adelaide before the event was moved to Melbourne 11 years later. Melbourne has since established itself as the opening race of the season but the contract expires in 2010 and several countries are vying for the rights.

Singapore, who have just wrapped-up a five-year deal to host a race as of 2008, is planning the first night grand prix while Malaysia is reportedly also considering moving its grand prix to the evening.

"When the contract comes up, we have to have a look and see exactly what we will be doing with Melbourne," Ecclestone continued.

"Unless they can come up with something satisfactory, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be able to continue there."

credit: eurosport.co.uk

Fair 'nuff, seems like most of the drivers are also in favour of night racing.

But forget about F1, how about the MotoGP.... Rossi? Pedrosa? BAH! Casey Stoner is the future of the sport.

ECCO = RETARD

It finishes, near dark anyways - what more would he want??

Would have to move back to SA or WA if he wants it played hours later

the whole east coast is pitch black, any more than 2 hours later then when it is held now.

Also it doesnt mention that the aussie GP is a favourite amongst drivers - has nothing to do with the track.......its our weather, lifestyle and country - its like a holiday for these guys they get paid for.

Unlike Monaco, wehn they have to go into hiding to avoid swampage from rampant fans, and/or threats from fans of other drivers/teams.

But yeah as the truth said - 2 wheels is where its at

STONER > F1

**** i just saw the night thing

are they serious about night racing??

come on now.....300km/ph in the dark.........where is the OH&S.

might aswell blindfold them

they just lost the WRC and now there in danger of losing F1. someone in australia needs to step up and make sure Aussie keep these events.

you cant even compare MotoGP to F1. the F1 roadshow makes MotoGP look like a bunch of traveling tractor racers.

they just lost the WRC and now there in danger of losing F1. someone in australia needs to step up and make sure Aussie keep these events.

you cant even compare MotoGP to F1. the F1 roadshow makes MotoGP look like a bunch of traveling tractor racers. [/b]
That was almost 4 years ago...Atleast we had it to lose it.

Now back to F1. We need to keep the event. If the only way for us to keep it is to put the race on later so be it. I don't like that idea but we have to keep big events like this.

what?? the last rally australia was in perth last year. check your facts buddy.

and what do you mean by at least we had it to lose it??

i hope your not meaning NZ... because RallyNZ is still going strong in the WRC.

On a lighter note, What do you all think of Lewis Hamiltons recent performances?

Latest posts