• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Favourite Christmas song

S

St Helens RLFC

The inevitable thread!

In Off Topic O'Rothlain is keeping it real with Christmas Carols, but this is where you can embarass yourself with Christmas songs you like.

Best not very well known song: Jonah Lewie - Stop the Cavalry

Best pop song: Mariah Carey - All I want for Christmas

Best novelty: Proper Crimbo (Selecta!) - Avid Merrion

Fairytale of New York, I wish it Could be Christmas Everyday.
Those two are brilliant.

I like Fairytale of New York, in fact I've only ever come across one person who doesn't like it.

Prefer Xmas songs which aren't necessarily the obvious ones personally.

Stop the Cavalry has always been one of my favourites, while I also like 2000 Miles by The Pretenders. Although I do have a secret (not so much anymore) liking for The Pretenders anyway.

Stop the Cavalry rules. I used to put it on repeat when I worked for The Link and O2, I used to drive my colleagues crazy.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W-eslNwGXrI&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W-eslNwGXrI&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

:cheers:

I don't know any of those songs :(

And, wasn't it 500 miles? Or am I just confused as to who the pretenders are?

Best not very well known song: Jonah Lewie - Stop the Cavalry

[/b]

Not very well known, its all over the radio and tv music channels?

I like 'Lonely this Christmas' by Mudd

I finally looked it up on Youtube to see it. There are so many quality Christmas songs in the UK and the rest of the world that never, ever make it over here. No one here knows of "Fairytale of New York", "I Wish it Could Be Christmas Everyday", "Merry Xmas Everyone" or this "Stop the Calvary". It's sad really, but we never got that whole Christmas #1 thing here. I just hope you can keep X-Factor from ruining it.

And, wasn't it 500 miles? Or am I just confused as to who the pretenders are? [/b]

That would be The Proclaimers. Specky Scottish cult icons, as opposed to the sassy American Pretenders.

too similar names :(

I like a few very annoying spanish songs, they tend to get stuck in your head, and are all sung by either young boys, or castrates.
The text is usually a bit weird too. The one I know the best is about fish drinking as much as possible to see how baby Jesus is born.
WTH??

too similar names :(

I like a few very annoying spanish songs, they tend to get stuck in your head, and are all sung by either young boys, or castrates.
The text is usually a bit weird too. The one I know the best is about fish drinking as much as possible to see how baby Jesus is born.
WTH?? [/b]
Yeah, please post the text to that song...seriously...my curiosity is awakend from it's slumber.

What about "War is over" by John Lennon.Not quite as good as "Fairytale of New York" but not far behind.
Also without putting my sexuality in doubt I do like "The Power of love" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood.

Ahm, I could be wrong (and I'm listening to the song as I type, just to make sure I'm not wrong), but I don't think 'The Power of Love' was a Christmas song?

O'Roth, you asked for it :p

Pero mira como beben
Los peces en el rio
Pero mira como beben
Por ver al Dios Nacido
Beben y Beben y vuelven a Beber
Los peces en el rio
Por ver a Dios Nacer.

La Virgen esta lavando
Y tendiendo en el romero
Los pajaritos cantando
Y el romero floreciendo

Pero mira . . . .

La Virgen se está peinando
Entre cortina y cortina
Los cabellos son de oro
Y el peine de plata fina

Pero mira . . .

La virjen lleva una rosa
En su divina pechera
Qoe se la dio San José
Y el dia de nochebuena

Pero mira . . . .

Hoy es noche nochebuena
Y manana navida
Los pollos en la cazuela
Y la casa sin fregar

Pero mira . . . .

En el portal de belen
Hay un hombre haciendo migas
Se le callo la sarten
Y acudieron las hormigas

Pero mira . . . .

Y en portal de belen
An entrado los ratones
Y al pobre de San Jose
Le han roido los calzones

La virjen lava panales
Y los tiende en el romero
Los pajaritos le cantan
Y el agua se va riendo

Pero mira . . . .

En el portal de belen
Hacen lumbre los pastores
Para calentar al nino
Que a nacido entre las flores

Pero mira . . . .

Cuando paso por tu puerta
Tu madre me llama fea
Y otra vez que me lo llame
Saco la picha y la meo

Pero mira . . . . [/b]

My (awful) translation:

But look how they drink, the fish in the river,
but look how they drink, to see the Birth of God,
They drink, and they drink, and they drink again,
to see the birth of God

(that's the refrain, loosely translated, let me know if you want the rest)

Ow boy, they 'modernized' it. And it's AWFUL!!

Imagine someone raping 'Oh Holy Night' :s

I didn't mean rapping :p

I meant the form of sexual abuse that is illegal in pretty much every country, except that in some countries, the victim can get stoned to death.

I know I shouldn't use the word rape for everything, but I can't help using it when it comes to old, solid gold hits, that have been covered, modernized, ...
'To rape a song' is sort of the summary of saying 'the horrible attempt of taking advantage of a well known, much loved song, thinking it will not matter that you suck, as long as you put a beat to it.'

No one here knows of "Fairytale of New York"[/b]

But it's got New York in the ***le. And there's "the boys of the NYPD band". And Matt Dillon is in the video.

I've already heard it three times today on UK radio - late start this year, but the overkill is coming on strong. I love Christmas traditions!

On that Spanish song - I guess the fish stands for christians (traditional symbol) and the water is God's love. Not so odd after all, heh? But it couldn't be better than Spain's greatest production, the Tomato Song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFzyYYZsxGc...feature=related

It makes sense, but not when you first hear that song when you're three, and hear it every christmas since that age.

On the Asereje, when that came out first, I remember that the newspapers had articles on it, with drawings of how you're supposed to dance it.
And I do know how to dance to the refrain, not very hard :p

They made a version in 'Spanglish'; Now that sucked.

Could anyone post links to the songs used, since I really never heard them.

I didn't mean rapping :p

I meant the form of sexual abuse that is illegal in pretty much every country, except that in some countries, the victim can get stoned to death.

I know I shouldn't use the word rape for everything, but I can't help using it when it comes to old, solid gold hits, that have been covered, modernized, ...
'To rape a song' is sort of the summary of saying 'the horrible attempt of taking advantage of a well known, much loved song, thinking it will not matter that you suck, as long as you put a beat to it.' [/b]

I know...

Personally I use it most in a sporting sense. The physical nature of the act seems more appropriate.

Latest posts