• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Fifa World Cup Russia 2018

Happens every World cup and still not sure how it is news.

Because it's nice reminder that there are fans with manners to clean up after themselves - a good reflection of their society . As the article says it's part of Japanese culture learnt from a young age and school. Something we could learn from instead of using cleaning up as part of detention, which instills that cleaning up after oneselves is just some sort of punishment.

Happens every World cup and still not sure how it is news.

It's almost like self-imposed isolation for 200 odd years led to a genuinely unique culture.

Because it's nice reminder that there are fans with manners to clean up after themselves - a good reflection of their society . As the article says it's part of Japanese culture learnt from a young age and school. Something we could learn from instead of using cleaning up as part of detention, which instills that cleaning up after oneselves is just some sort of punishment.

The problem is that their "cleaning up after yourself" from a group POV comes with a lot of other characteristics which you might not like so much.

Argentina's coach job is a very, very difficult one. One of the reasons Sampaoli got the job is because nobody else wanted it. And it's not like we lack quality coaches.

Still, we've got people like Simeone (overrated imo but very highly rated by most)

I like both Sampaoli and Simeone, and I don't think any of them is overrated. Sampaoli has a proven international record, managing to get a Chile team to be very competitive. Since he actually is Argentinian I would have thought that it was only a matter of time until a coach of his proven record would take over Argentina, since this Argentinian team is clearly one of the most talented teams in the world you guys just need a really good man manager. Sampaoli just needed to be appointed earlier in the world cup cycle. I really hope Argentinian supporters are not too hard on him going forward and gives him a chance post world cup regardless of performance as the point stands that he did not have that much time to prepare this team, well at least more than Hierro for Spain.

When Simeone decides that his loyalty for Atheltico has run its course then surely he must be considered for the Argentinian post, imagine the rich attacking talents of Argentina paired with the tactical, defensive structure that Simeone brings to his teams. Yes he has been criticized for being too conservative, and that creative players are stifled but remember that year after year Athleticos star attackers gets poached and year after year Simeone fosters a new attacker into a world class player. So under no circumstances would I call Simeone a overrated coach, on the contrary he is very underrated.

I suspect that if Argentina doesn't win this World cup that Messi will retire, possibly Aguero too, so Simeone will be a good guy to start the rebuilding phase possibly with the team being built around Dybala.

P.S Since our South African football team is utterly **** (Cant even win a mini tournament held between Southern African countries) , I have taken an intense interest into other foreign national teams specifically my favourites Argentina and Spain.

Last edited:

Senegal fans tidied up after themselves.
Irish fans tided up at the euros.

And yet people wouldn't mention it about their cultures.

I mean if you want to delve deeper into the mindset I bet it isn't down to them wanting to clean up, most likely more to do with them not wanting to be "Shamed" about it which can open a whole different can of worms. I'm a big fan of the Japanese culture especially the early history but it has some major faults in it.

I mean if you want to delve deeper into the mindset I bet it isn't down to them wanting to clean up, most likely more to do with them not wanting to be "Shamed" about it which can open a whole different can of worms. I'm a big fan of the Japanese culture especially the early history but it has some major faults in it.

Same here. I'm definitely not a "weaboo" - in fact, I find a lot of modern Japanese culture quite creepy.
There's loads of really interesting elements of Japanese culture, but equally (and not surprisingly), there are undesirable aspects as well.
Unfortunately, I think they are intrinsically linked, to an extent.

It's almost like self-imposed isolation for 200 odd years led to a genuinely unique culture.

The problem is that their "cleaning up after yourself" from a group POV comes with a lot of other characteristics which you might not like so much.

Like what?

Senegal fans tidied up after themselves.
Irish fans tided up at the euros.

And yet people wouldn't mention it about their cultures.

Good for the Senegalese and Irish fans. Now for news to report England fans cleaning up after themselves after games.

I was just pointing one aspect of their culture which is admirable rather than delve into every aspect.

Like what?

A generally very strict/rigid culture.
You are taught a particular method of doing something, and you are expected to do it that way with no variation.
It prises conformity hugely. This has pros and cons.

Anecdotally, my observation is that this is at the heart of Japan's "successes" and "failures".

I just get fed up of people comparing another countries good with our bad every time.
I mean I know it's the English way but people get so rose tinted when it comes to other places and cultures.

I'm a big fan of the Japanese culture especially the early history but it has some major faults in it.
Tigs sleeps with an anime body pillow confirmed.

The stadiums have looked pretty empty for much of this World Cup. Especially the Russian game last night, a home game was half full. How badly are they pricing these tickets?

Heartbreaking stuff for Argentina ! Very sad, ok first half but really looked clueless on attack. That first goal for Croatia put them in control and Argentina could not chase.

Messi needs to play on the wing. He had minimal chances in that deep central position, but honestly Argentinas lack of shots on target is a problem. They seemed to get to desperate and Croatia capitalised to score that extra two goals.

Cabbalero f.uck.ed up and from that moment they had to chase the game.

Croatia 3 - 0 Argentina

Lets hope that iceland loses against Nigeria and something radically changes in terms of tactics before their next game.

Also Otamendi wtf ? Kicking at Rakitic like that is not okay.

Last edited:
Heartbreaking stuff for Argentina ! Very sad, ok first half but really looked clueless on attack.

Croatia 3 - 0 Argentina

Lets hope that iceland loses against Nigeria and something radically changes in terms of tactics before their next game.

Let's hope not. World Cup always better for a big name getting booted out early and this year it's Argentina. They're ordinary right now and it's rubbing off on their Rugby team.

Why? This bunch of donkeys waiting for Messi to do something instead of taking any responsibility don't deserve to go through. On the other hand Iceland actually play as a team and work together despite having fewer players than Rhode Island. It'd be way better if they went through.

Germany 45mins from elimination.

Damn- knew it was too good to be true. Great last minute free kick from Kroos.

Last edited:
Sorry, no. No matter how good your kicking is, from that angle it's 100% Olsen's fault. You basically don't need to cover the first post. He can only make that shot and that shot only. So bloody angry at him.

The level of debate around VAR is so pitiful.

Like, every time something goes wrong or a wrong decision is made it's blamed on VAR
VAR isn't working well I agree, but that's because human referees are making shitty decisions!
The examples like Kane not getting a penalty or that Serbian player being wrestled to the ground. That's A) Terrible refereeing and B) terrible refereeing by whoever is in the VAR box. These issues would still be there without VAR. The focus in review should be why is the quality of refereeing so bad, and how can we make sure personnel have the skills to make use of VAR and make the right calls.

Finally a penalty given for the rediculous rugby tackle on Kane in the area.

Latest posts