• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

FIFA World Rankings

B

BigTen

I was having a look at FIFA's website - I felt like a good laugh and saw the new official rankings.

I see that the world champions Italy are ranked at 2. Brazil are still at 1 and England came in at 5th above both Germany (9th) and Portugal (8th).

Australia moved up to a respectable 33rd. Japan crashed to 49th.

And amazingly New Zealand rose one place to 117th equal with mighty Kenya and Hong Kong. Wow, isn't that great?

http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/ind...ul-2006,00.html

Originally posted by getofmeland@Jul 12 2006, 03:44 PM
Well they have changed the way they are doing the rankings now
When does that kick in?

Ukraine moves up 30 places to 15th...

The Swiss move up 22 to 13th

Guinea move up 27 to 24th

Ghana move up 23 to 25th

Ecuador move up 11 to 28

Uruguay move up 8 to 14th....

....and we move up 9 to 33rd :blink: how does that work?

wales are on the way up, i have real hope, tht we can challenge for a play off place, in what is an extremely harsh group, wales are unbeaten in a while now, and toshack has devloped some good youngsters, if bellamy has a good run at liverpool, im in know doubt he can become a talisman in driving us forward

Well I like to support the battler coming up and Wales are in that difficult position that New Zealand are in (although much higher ranked), where there's a bigger nation next door that seems to overshadow a promising talent.

Originally posted by loratadine@Jul 12 2006, 09:12 PM
wales are on the way up, i have real hope, tht we can challenge for a play off place, in what is an extremely harsh group, wales are unbeaten in a while now, and toshack has devloped some good youngsters, if bellamy has a good run at liverpool, im in know doubt he can become a talisman in driving us forward
General feeling from alot of Welsh footie fans I know is that Toshack doens't know his arse from his elbow. If Wales get back to where they were mid-way through their Euro 2004 qualification then they'd be doing not bad.
Not spoiling for a rumble, but you've only go undefeated for 2 games. Both of which, fair enough, against WC opposition but they weren't exactly the best teams where they? The last game you lost was v. Cyprus. Who's in your group for the Euros? We've defo got the harder group though, the WC finalists, The Ukraine, Lithuania who has a coach who is the head coach at Hearts, and a couple of diddy wee teams we're bound to cock up against away from home. But of course, it wouldn't be Scotland if we didn't do it the hard way.

Seeing as you and lora are with the less favoured UK teams, you guys should support each others outfits (whenever your not playing each other of course). :bravo:

Originally posted by The TRUTH@Jul 13 2006, 08:55 AM
Ukraine moves up 30 places to 15th...

The Swiss move up 22 to 13th

Guinea move up 27 to 24th

Ghana move up 23 to 25th

Ecuador move up 11 to 28

Uruguay move up 8 to 14th....

....and we move up 9 to 33rd :blink: how does that work?
just like the way the sport is administered already - it doesnt work

i can confidently say we are better than all those teams except perhaps the Swiss

Uruguay - ARE NOT BETTER THAN US :bravo:

but its their devine right to think uneducatedly and think otherwise :bleh!:

GUINEA?? - Now here is that exaclty - I know they export pigs :p

Surely no one thought that Australia would go from being ranking 40-something straight down to within the top 20???

Remember that Australia hasn't actually beaten that many teams lately. The win against Uruguay is countered by the fact that you lost in Montevideo. A win against Japan at the world cup wouldn't have helped you that much because Japan has dropped dramatically.

Some of the other teams have jumped dramatically but when you look at the points and how they work you can kind of understand that it will take a while for Australia's true ranking to come through.

They also need to play against decent competition on a more regular basis before they can start moving up the rankings.

They are the highest ranked team in Asia now and as long as they continue to get the results that they are capable of they should slowly move up the rankings.

"...And Greece go from 30 something to.........last..." AK47.

Well Greece are ranked 32nd. One position higher than Australia but that is because of their Euro '04 results. Expect them to keep on dropping.

FIFA's rankings will never be that accurate simply because it will never be a level playing field and there will always be plenty of controversy about whom is ranked where.

Originally posted by BigTen@Jul 13 2006, 01:38 PM
Surely no one thought that Australia would go from being ranking 40-something straight down to within the top 20???

Remember that Australia hasn't actually beaten that many teams lately. The win against Uruguay is countered by the fact that you lost in Montevideo. A win against Japan at the world cup wouldn't have helped you that much because Japan has dropped dramatically.

Some of the other teams have jumped dramatically but when you look at the points and how they work you can kind of understand that it will take a while for Australia's true ranking to come through.

They also need to play against decent competition on a more regular basis before they can start moving up the rankings.

They are the highest ranked team in Asia now and as long as they continue to get the results that they are capable of they should slowly move up the rankings.

"...And Greece go from 30 something to.........last..." AK47.

Well Greece are ranked 32nd. One position higher than Australia but that is because of their Euro '04 results. Expect them to keep on dropping.

But didnt FIFA strip Greece of international status??? - thats why i said 'last'

I understand why we arent in top 20

But who are Guinea - where the fark on the map is guinea, i'm guessing Africa.........

i know where PNG is.

Yep the Asia ranking is very satisfying, and illustrates the flaw of the Oceanic qualifying process, in that the top ranked Oceanic team SHOULD automatically qualify.

Heck we go nobodies to being better ranked than Korea and Japan - GO FIFA

Now watch the A-League teams smash the other Asian club teams too.

Originally posted by C A Iversen@Jul 12 2006, 11:11 PM
Seeing as you and lora are with the less favoured UK teams, you guys should support each others outfits (whenever your not playing each other of course). :bravo:
It's just not going to happen mate - the day I want Wales/Scotland/both the Ireland's to prosper is the day I don't control my brain anymore, and I'm positive that's entirely mutual.

AK, the Greeks were re-instated last night.

Originally posted by BigTen@Jul 13 2006, 01:02 AM
I was having a look at FIFA's website - I felt like a good laugh and saw the new official rankings.

I see that the world champions Italy are ranked at 2. Brazil are still at 1 and England came in at 5th above both Germany (9th) and Portugal (8th).

Australia moved up to a respectable 33rd. Japan crashed to 49th.

And amazingly New Zealand rose one place to 117th equal with mighty Kenya and Hong Kong. Wow, isn't that great?

http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/ind...ul-2006,00.html
We have a Soccer team?

Guinea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinea

"...But didnt FIFA strip Greece of international status??? - thats why i said 'last'..."
AK47.

I didn't even know that FIFA had suspended Greece until I read that they had taken the ban away. Crazy!

I still do not think that Oceania ever deserved a direct qualification spot to the world cup. Australia are the only country with even a semi-professional league and as such should be guaranteed that one place.

The simple method should be for the top two teams in Oceania to qualify for the second phase of the Asian Confederation.

This would allow more Oceanian teams to have at least a chance of playing more meaningful games. Australia would virtually guarantee that they would one of the two places and even though New Zealand would be favourites for the other spot it would give heart to the other nations that they might be able to pull off an upset.

Australia did the dirty on Oceania by not negotiating something like this. It would have been easy for them to do this and it would have been the first time that Australia proactively did something for Oceania. Instead they just thought about themselves and stuff Oceania. Real nice!

Latest posts