• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Finals Format

xtempore

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Crusaders RU
I haven't been able to find a really clear definition of how the finals will work. I understand the basic idea - top two teams get a week off, 3 plays 6, 4 plays 5.

But who is 3? 6 teams make the finals - The winner of each conference plus 3 wildcards, but how are they then ranked.

For example given the current points, the Brumbies are really 6th overall (same pts as Sharks, but less wins). But a lot of tables list them as 3rd, presumably because they are top of the Australian conference.

As of right now the real order is 1. Chiefs, 2. Stormers, 3. Bulls, 4. Crusaders, 5. Sharks, 6. Brumbies.

So really the QFs should be Bulls (at home) v Brumbies, and Crusaders (at home) v Sharks.

But if the Brumbies are articially given 3rd place, then it all changes - Brumbies (at home) v Sharks, Bulls (at home) v Crusaders.

I HOPE this isn't what they've done, because the Brumbies are not deserving of a home advantage, whereas the Crusaders are, and the Bulls should be getting a soft game against the Brumbies, but instead would face a more challenging game against the Crusaders.

There's still some weeks left, but I don't see any major changes to the current order. Does anyone have the official word on how the ordering will work?

I'm 98% sure it's this option:
But if the Brumbies are articially given 3rd place, then it all changes - Brumbies (at home) v Sharks, Bulls (at home) v Crusaders.

No use complaining about it really. I think it's quite nice the Aussies get at least one home play-off game. Yes they have an advantage but it's not just about what's fair for the teams but what's fair for the fans of the different countries as well.

Besides the Brumbies could well deserve their spot by the end of the competition, they have a fairly easy run in.

I think the Sharks won't mind facing the brumbies instead of the Crusaders though...

The comp is based on TV rights and always has been. So the concept of this new finals series is that each country gets at least 1 home final. Brumbies will take 3rd even if they are 5th in terms of points.

Latest posts