• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

Was Arthur Clarke the lad that couldn't even get a game for Gloucester and went on loan to Quins?

What's he offer out of curiosity? Big lock? Mobile lock? Crap lock?
Pretty sure he's a big bloke and played very well in a team that got beat by Chiefs. Couple of charge downs and very physical. But not seen alot of him.

That isn't anywhere near a first choice XV tbf. Apart from Carr none of that pack started in the six nations
Similar with the backs
Undeniable that things improved with substitutions, though I suspect that Cov, like many teams, found it hard to keep up momentum when a point-a-minute up at half time.

I thought we were getting a training squad announcement today? Feels a little late now if it is going to be today …

It just looks werid to not just name those from unavailable teams as later arrivals to avoid the oddity of having such a small list published.

It looks even more stranger when you put them in positions. Guessing it will all make more sense when the rest of the squad are announced. I wonder if any of these drop out if they are 100% on tour now.

1. Baxter
2. Oghre
3. Heyes
4. Martin/ Tuima
6. CCS
7. Pepper
8. Dombrant/ Fisilau

9. JVP/ Randell
10. Atkinson/ Smith
13. Northmore/ Slade
14. IFW
15. Malins/ Steward

Is it literally just players with a chance of touring? Is it the RFU tightening the purse strings? I wonder how useful it will be...

Maybe it's just players with obvious work ons. So SB gets a look at them and gives them two weeks to fix some defects in their games?

It is an odd squad but i suppose do all the work with 30+ players for most of them to be replaced. Guessing some specific players SB wants to look at, id say they are all there on merit, im actually surprised by Malins tbh but aslong as 15 and not one the wing.

Have issues with Malins and Atkinson.
19 is a odd number?

Suspect Kelly will be off to Ireland and Munster next season

Atkinson is an odd choice. He hasn't looked up to much since leaving Wasps underwhelming at Tigers and now Gloucester. Hopefully time as first choice at Gloucester will see him get his mojo back, but no way he should be anywhere near an England squad right now, even if it is just a training squad.

I have less of an issue with Malins. If we're sticking with the idea of a playmaking 15 he's good in that role. Definitely not as a winger though.

Atkinson is an odd choice. He hasn't looked up to much since leaving Wasps underwhelming at Tigers and now Gloucester. Hopefully time as first choice at Gloucester will see him get his mojo back, but no way he should be anywhere near an England squad right now, even if it is just a training squad.

I have less of an issue with Malins. If we're sticking with the idea of a playmaking 15 he's good in that role. Definitely not as a winger though.
Problem with Atkinson is who else is about?

Guess Borthwick is prob just wanting 2 10's in the squad

Problem with Atkinson is who else is about?

Guess Borthwick is prob just wanting 2 10's in the squad
True. Maybeit'sth3 kind of encouragement Atkinson needs to get back on track? It's highly unlikely he'll make the full squad so a harmless (if a bit pointless) boost for a player with potential.

Seems a bit of a pointless list of names. It's not even a squad. Best prep they can have is a few days on the beach before the full squad is announced.

Mercer busy checking out his NZ eligibility and French club opportunities.

We know this is just a training squad without top four prem teams. But it would be good to get clear context and purpose from England Rugby for these training squads. But then we wouldn't have much to debate as fans I suppose!

I wonder if/how this squad selection was impacted by player availability and future squads plans too? I would assume it's quite likely that there are:

- other players who will be in future squads but opportunity now for newer faces to be looked at and just increasing depth plans.

- other non top four prem players that are currently in a rest/holiday period that was planned previously.

- other non top four prem players that have been carrying small injuries and require rehab before next round of rugby season kicks off.

- as mentioned above too, the small scope of this training activity limiting numbers and costs.

Latest posts