Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
Generic thread for games that have no match threads

Results from earlier today:
Japan 20 - 22 Samoa
Fiji 36 - 20 Tonga

Think Japan got a red card but that's a big win for Samoa - they rise to 10th in the rankings with Japan dropping to 12th

Both pretty poor games. Seems to be a bit of experimenting with lineups. Japan had red card for more than half the game, still played better than samoa for the most part, but not a full strength samoa side

I don't see how these games count as friendlies or World Cup warm ups though; they are part of the pacific nations cup

I don't see how these games count as friendlies or World Cup warm ups though; they are part of the pacific nations cup
I did Google that but could only see them referenced as international friendlies - I thought maybe the PNC had been cancelled this year cause of the rwc?

I did Google that but could only see them referenced as international friendlies - I thought maybe the PNC had been cancelled this year cause of the rwc?
Nope. It's just google is crap now.

Searching Reddit is far more useful than google in many situations

Seeing the two sides that pushed so hard for the eligibility laws to change consistently lose after bringing in a load of Wallabies and All Blacks does feel like karma

Japan very fortunate today. They had 100 more tackles made than Tonga but squeaked out the win.

Really entertaining game this one; even though only 3 points were scored in the last twenty there was a lot of back and forth with both teams attacking

Backup Fiji spank Samoa with a lot their Drua players. Building some real depth.

Took me an age and lots of frustration before realising this was screening free to air. How could this not be on tv in NZ (?), I was ranting, when most of the players are New Zealanders and it's an international rugby fixture! I had been looking only on paid tv, and it turns out this and the next two samoa fixtures are all free to air.

Fiji thrash 14 man Japan 35-12 in Japan to win the PNC.

That's despite Fiji having three tries overturned, it could have been a slaughter. Japan must have spent around 2hrs across their three games (4hrs play) down to 14 men and finish 3rd out of 4 and were lucky not to finish 4th despite all their games being at home. Absolutely no pressure now on SANZAAR to expand TRC as Japan appear to have been slowly but steadily regressing due to the end of the Sunwolves and the residency period extension to 5 years (which I am in favour of). Japan also relegated back down to the u20 Trophy. A terrible month for them and they fall to 14th in the world which is as low as I can remember for them. Fiji up to 9th ahead of Wales.

Samoa Tonga game was pretty awful for the most part until samoa decided to play for twenty minutes. Tonga looking unlikely to worry anyone in the World Cup and unfortunately had havili, imo their most important player even though not their best, and piutau go off injured so will be hoping for nothing major there

Samoa Tonga game was pretty awful for the most part until samoa decided to play for twenty minutes. Tonga looking unlikely to worry anyone in the World Cup and unfortunately had havili, imo their most important player even though not their best, and piutau go off injured so will be hoping for nothing major there
Ye of little faith. Tonga just bumped off Kingsley Jones's Canada today 28-3. Thats good enough to finish within 80 of Ireland. Agree Tonga cannot make an impact in their insane group. In the other half of the draw they could have done something.

Last edited:
Apparently Tonga were down to 14 men for 35mins which may explain why they didn't win by a landslide. Their selection was also apparently weak.

Lets see if the Tongan gets to swap a game ban for attending a course! I've no idea if the red was for head contact or will merit a ban, but worth keeping an eye out for