• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Food!

You'd hope so, but I hate the type of food snobbery that this closed-minded attitude implies and nowhere is it more applicable than in Italian cuisine. Italians tend to make dishes just like the previous generation made them, and the next generation will do what the current generation is doing, ad infinitum. It's far from inconceivable to me that someone else could take this blueprint and improve upon it, but in the comments section of every Italian recipe I've ever read, there's a queue of gatekeepers keen to point out why the recipe isn't authentic, as if this establishes them on some sort of moral / intellectual high ground.
You mean when Italians go mad when non Italians add crème fresh and bacon and then calling it a Carbonara? 🤔😆.

To be fair I see why seeing as it doesn't improve on the original and then why call it a carbonara rather than spaghetti and bacon in cream sauce, because it isn't a carbonara.

For pizza though - wood-fire baked pizzas are my favourite.

Still want to go back to NYC and try their slice of pie. 🍕 And of course Italy.

You mean when Italians go mad when non Italians add crème fresh and bacon and then calling it a Carbonara? 🤔😆.

To be fair I see why seeing as it doesn't improve on the original and then why call it a carbonara rather than spaghetti and bacon in cream sauce, because it isn't a carbonara.

For pizza though - wood-fire baked pizzas are my favourite.

Still want to go back to NYC and try their slice of pie. 🍕 And of course Italy.
I've had both, New York City and Italian (Milan). They were both excellent. 1660682666548.png

If you're ever in Silicon Valley, make sure you stop by Original Joe's in downtown San Jose, CA. I love it there. Great food, great atmosphere, great time! :D

1660683174892.png

Last edited:
Doesn't most Italian food come from Argentina?

Or is that just their rugby players?
I don't think rugby players are edible.

I'm an absolute pizza nutter but one place I was consistently impressed by was what used to be my local in Fishponds, Bristol. La Piazza 1. Prices were reasonable, service was good and the pizzas were very good. Also just down the road is a Thai place "Everyday Thai restaurant" (I guess it's to the point). IIRC it was voted the best Thai place in the south west.

On the topic of Thai, I also went to a place called "Thai modern restaurant" (naming is not their thing) but the décor is lovely and again pretty good food and good service. Unfortunately it's hidden in the mass of anonymity that is Milton Keynes city centre.

2022-08-16_22h22_50.png

You wouldn't know that was a Thai restaurant would you? I promise the inside is miles better though.

Last edited:
Spag Bol - do you put the pasta on the plate and spoon the sauce on top or do you put all the pasta in the sauce, mix it around and then serve?

The former,
I know it's sacrilege to Italians but I like to be in control of my sauce-to-pasta ratio
Same with Indian and Chinese food, never mix the sauce with the rice - do it on the fork instead

I don't think rugby players are edible.

I'm an absolute pizza nutter but one place I was consistently impressed by was what used to be my local in Fishponds, Bristol. La Piazza 1. Prices were reasonable, service was good and the pizzas were very good. Also just down the road is a Thai place "Everyday Thai restaurant" (I guess it's to the point). IIRC it was voted the best Thai place in the south west.

On the topic of Thai, I also went to a place called "Thai modern restaurant" (naming is not their thing) but the décor is lovely and again pretty good food and good service. Unfortunately it's hidden in the mass of anonymity that is Milton Keynes city centre.

View attachment 14413

You wouldn't know that was a Thai restaurant would you? I promise the inside is miles better though.
Love Thai food. Some of the best are found at the back of pubs.
Spag Bol - do you put the pasta on the plate and spoon the sauce on top or do you put all the pasta in the sauce, mix it around and then serve?
I put the pasta in the sauce and mix it together like Italians do. Add a bit of pasta water if needs a little more creamy sauce.

On the Pizza front I've eaten here

Which is rated number 1 on this list,

Honestly we went in knowing it was highly rated but not that rated, remember thinking "sure no.1 pizza in USA, won't be that good". It was ******* amazing, tell everyone to go there if they are in NYC, the prices aren't bad either.

On the Pizza front I've eaten here

Which is rated number 1 on this list,

Honestly we went in knowing it was highly rated but not that rated, remember thinking "sure no.1 pizza in USA, won't be that good". It was ******* amazing, tell everyone to go there if they are in NYC, the prices aren't bad either.
I really want to try Joe's Pizza. Have heard great things about that one. But Which isn't on that list. 🍕

I really want to try Joe's Pizza. Have heard great things about that one. But Which isn't on that list. 🍕

Its meh, I was fairly underwhelmed by NYC's za. Unless you spend a bit of cash all the food there tastes super low quality compared to what you get in Europe*.

Edit: *and the UK.

Chicago town mini Pizza's are GOAT

As someone who is part Italian I am appalled...

that you didn't mention that these bad boys can be picked up often for just £1.25! An inflation proof meal.

I'd personally never order a pizza at an Italian, the quality of frozen pizzas is now so decent that I'm not bothered about having one when eating out. Better with something like a cannelloni that realistically you'll only ever get a good specimen of in a restaurant.

The problem with doing that is:

1) how can you ensure you dish up appropriate levels of meat to each person?
2) you are going to have to do the bolognese in a particularly large pan so that you can then mix the spaghetti in with it after you've drained it.

And yes, this guy would probably put a horses head in my bed for this post.

Latest posts