• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

France fined $15,000 for haka advance

Ridiculous! You can't beat the atmosphere that arises from a good challenge(France 07 most notably) and from what I gather, the NZ players don't mind one bit.

Christ! What a ridiculous rule. It's put in place because it's considered "disrespectful". It could be considered pretty disrespectful of the All Blacks to perform a tribal song and dance that contains death threats. They are literally threatening their opponents with death. Teams should be allowed respond to that anyway they please short of violence.

Why are some people using this as a chance to have a veiled go at New Zealand(ers) and the haka? It's not as though we complained about the French challenge, we loved it. Do you truly believe that when the All Blacks perform that throat slitting action, they have genuine intent to kill the opposition? Come off it, seriously.

Most of us welcome a response, and personally, seeing Thierry Dusuatoir leading his team towards the haka in response like that was the best moment of the final and one of the great rugby moments (in my opinion).

As far as I know, the rule is not there because it is disrespectful to respond to the haka, it's there to prevent fights and that sort of thing. I'm sure the rule applies with any pre-game ritual, as you would have when any of Tonga, Samoa or Fiji play.

The haka, in the case of the All Blacks is a challenge, personally, I don't see it as disrespectful to respond. If France did some silly dance making fun of the haka then yeah, you could consider it disrespectful, but in the case of what France, Wales or even England have done in the past, it's not disrespectful, it's a response, and like I say, we welcome that. Just ask most New Zealanders what they think of the potential fine.

As for the French themselves, I gained a massive amount of respect for them and the way they stood up both to the haka and during the game. Amongst my joy, I truly felt bad for them having lost that game, they did themselves proud, if you can ever justify that feeling after losing such a big game.

Last edited:
Why are some people using this as a chance to have a veiled go at New Zealand(ers) and the haka? It's not as though we complained about the French challenge, we loved it. Do you truly believe that when the All Blacks perform that throat slitting action, they have genuine intent to kill the opposition? Come off it, seriously.

Most of us welcome a response, and personally, seeing Thierry Dusuatoir leading his team towards the haka in response like that was the best moment of the final and one of the great rugby moments (in my opinion).

As far as I know, the rule is not there because it is disrespectful to respond to the haka, it's there to prevent fights and that sort of thing. I'm sure the rule applies with any pre-game ritual, as you would have when any of Tonga, Samoa or Fiji play.

The haka, in the case of the All Blacks is a challenge, personally, I don't see it as disrespectful to respond. If France did some silly dance making fun of the haka then yeah, you could consider it disrespectful, but in the case of what France, Wales or even England have done in the past, it's not disrespectful, it's a response, and like I say, we welcome that. Just ask most New Zealanders what they think of the potential fine.

As for the French themselves, I gained a massive amount of respect for them and the way they stood up both to the haka and during the game. Amongst my joy, I truly felt bad for them having lost that game, they did themselves proud, if you can ever justify that feeling after losing such a big game.
^
This

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fYIUdVNFgU&feature=player_embedded

IRB are out of touch with Rugby. When will they ever learn? They are coming off looking like idiots. Do they even care about the Rugby fans they are pushing away?

If only they had a forum.

IRB are out of touch with Rugby. When will they ever learn? They are coming off looking like idiots. Do they even care about the Rugby fans they are pushing away?

No, because I found out a few weeks ago that it was their idea to charge people over $20 per match in the US for this world cup.

wat the??? fine???...its ok for the allblacks to stick their tongues out and pull hand gestures at others but the french cant walk up?.

This is utterly ridiculous - But nah France really just should have stood there and watched while NZ attempted to intimidate them in perhaps one of Frances most important rugby games ever. (Note my sarcasm)

Nah! France should have stood there and watched? ********. Walk over to the centre spot and line up for the kick off. Perhaps there is some rugby rule which suggests one should be allowed to taunt the oppostion before the game. In that case you just stand there! Maybe I missed that one. They should have turned round and mooned them or done the "dead ant". Form 3 ranks boys! First rank, fire, kneel, reload, second rank, fire, reload etc. If England/France do their bit, they get fined. France should cite the Kiwis for over aggresive behaviour before the game begins and refuse to pay any fine. Not often I support the crapeaux. As an Englishman we should maybe surround them and make shooting actions.

Did New Zealand get fined for the throat slitting gesture, which was also banned a while ago? Because It's pathetic that the 'untouchable' Haka gets confronted in such a great way, but then the IRB slaps France with a fine. The way New Zealand runs everything in the rugby world is really starting to irk me.

While it obviously looks like a throat slitting gesture, the gesture actually has nothing to do with slitting anyone's throats or causing harm to anyone else. What about Fiji's version of the haka? I understand that in that thye make the action of throwing a spear at someone? Where is the outrage in that? Why is there no controversy with any of the other island nations? That's right: they aren't the best team in the world.

How do we run everything in rugby? Few New Zealanders have criticized the French actions. Therefore if we did run rugby, France would not have been fined.

Nah! France should have stood there and watched? ********. Walk over to the centre spot and line up for the kick off. Perhaps there is some rugby rule which suggests one should be allowed to taunt the oppostion before the game. In that case you just stand there! Maybe I missed that one. They should have turned round and mooned them or done the "dead ant". Form 3 ranks boys! First rank, fire, kneel, reload, second rank, fire, reload etc. If England/France do their bit, they get fined. France should cite the Kiwis for over aggresive behaviour before the game begins and refuse to pay any fine. Not often I support the crapeaux. As an Englishman we should maybe surround them and make shooting actions.

LMFAO!!!! good call!

Wow, I'm really surprised of the amount of flack the All Blacks and the Haka are getting on here because of the walk up...

Hell no I don't agree with the fine, we as Kiwi's love the stare down whenever Haka are taking place and when the French walked up to the All Blacks with full knowledge of the IRB's pathetic rules and risking a hefty fine, a large amount of respect for the French grew inside me.

What people must understand is that the Haka isn't something we just springed out of our asses and decided to do. It has been around forever and it goes hand in hand with All Blacks rugby, it's a piece of history and to complain and insist it be removed is disrespect in itself.

What my original intent was of this post was to say that, The French knew full well of the consequences when they decided to approach the All Blacks during the Haka and deserve the fine. Not saying I agree that a fine is in place, but it is the same as when the Tuilagi's were fined for the mouthpiece. They knew full well of the consequences and deserved the fine. Again, I don't agree with it, but rules are rules even if they're fu****.

Last edited:
While it obviously looks like a throat slitting gesture, the gesture actually has nothing to do with slitting anyone's throats or causing harm to anyone else. What about Fiji's version of the haka? I understand that in that thye make the action of throwing a spear at someone? Where is the outrage in that? Why is there no controversy with any of the other island nations? That's right: they aren't the best team in the world.

How do we run everything in rugby? Few New Zealanders have criticized the French actions. Therefore if we did run rugby, France would not have been fined.

its not a spear...its a club...and its not a warcry or haka...its actually a dance about celebrating a win against a foe after the fact.(thats why i think fiji should scrap the cibi and get a proper warcry, we keep loosing because its like we're already thinking we won the game)

its not a spear...its a club...and its not a warcry or haka...its actually a dance about celebrating a win against a foe after the fact.(thats why i think fiji should scrap the cibi and get a proper warcry, we keep loosing because its like we're already thinking we won the game)
Okay, I didn't know that. Still a club could be interpreted as just as violent as slitting someone's throat. I don't think that it is violent or have a problem with it but I do think the same standards should be applied to Fiji as they are to the All Blacks.

what about when both Fiji and NZL performed their haka/cibi at the same time in the test match...did both teams get fined?

Might as well quote myself again because people are still trying to have a dig at New Zealand(ers) over this when it's not us that have the problem with the French advance.

Latest posts