Club or Nation
Barbarians
France.png
Versus%20Eccellenza.png
Scotland.png

Venue: Stade de France
Date: Saturday 5th February 2011
Kick Off: 5:00pm GMT​

Thought I'd try to bring a bit of life to this one now that the six nations is drawing near :O). So I've got a few questions for you.

Bastareaud – This guy for me was the standout player of last years six nations, and Scotland in particular didn't seem to know how to handle him. I've noted France haven't really had a good run lately, is Bastareaud not been playing? Has he had a dip in form? Have defences figured out how to stop him?

France's form – I'm seriously struggling to gauge there form; they have been beaten quite heavily recently by both Argentina and Australia. I'm not saying this is embarrassing, just a bit surprising when you figure in Argentina and Australia's previous games. What are your thoughts?

Scotland – Can they win this one? I've a good feeling about the Scottish team just now but I'm sure I've been saying that for the last couple of years! I've posted before that they have become a difficult team to beat, but can they go out and get a win in France? My question above make me think this is a good a chance as we're going to get in a while. What do you think?

I think this is the best chance we have had of beating the French since 2006, and as far as I know Bastareaud didn't play in the AI's
But as you say, in France Les Blues will be another prospect, and I would simply be happy if the players put in a good shift and keep the game tight, and more importantly the points difference low.

common scotland we can beat the french can't we we have got better players now

Scotland does not have their first choice 12. This will make Scotland's already crap back line even worse. So I have changed my mind and given the edge to France. But god do I want Scotland to win.

France by at least 10. Scotland's pack can most certainly compete, however their backs are a joke by comparison. If the French can get any sort of edge up front they'll put 40 on the Scots.

Even without Bastareaud France is a hard team to beat.
Chabal is back in the selection .

if the scots defence holds out for 80 mins like it quite often does then scotland by 9 points

I think it's obvious for everyone to see that Scotland would benefit hugely with a more effective back line.

With Morrison out who do you think will be no 12? Ansbo perhaps? Even though that isn't his natural position?

Would a back like with Jackson, Evans, the Lamonts, Ansbo and Walker perhaps score a try or two?

I would rather have Simon Danielli in for Walker. He is playing well with ulster and will bring that winning attitude to the team.

I think it's obvious for everyone to see that Scotland would benefit hugely with a more effective back line.

With Morrison out who do you think will be no 12? Ansbo perhaps? Even though that isn't his natural position?

Would a back like with Jackson, Evans, the Lamonts, Ansbo and Walker perhaps score a try or two?

I don't think (from what I've seen of him) that Ansbro has the bulk to be considered for 12, especially considering the way Parks plays

Whomever is selected, In Sir Andy I Trust B)

That does actually make a lot more sense, if Ansbro was to play out of position at all the wing would be the better place.

Who would you guys pick for no 12 for France?

Looking at the squad announced, could Jack Cuthbert play 12?

Says on Wikipedia (yes I know) that he playes 13/15 and at wing, and that he is a fierce tackler, and can kick (long distance shots as well)

What do the Bath (I think) watchers think of this?

Il just put it out there but i'd have this down as the scotland team vs France

1) Jon Welsh- Outclassed Jacobsen in 1872 cup game and is a more genuine athelete, time for chunk to move over!
2) Ross Ford- Undisputed, consistent and reliable
3) Moray Low- Offers so much more around the park compared to Murray and has come on leaps and bounds in the scrum.
4) Nathan Hines- Bags of experience and another genuine athelete
5) Al Kellock- Natural leader, great in the lineout
6) Rob Harley- Best player from both scottish teams this season! If Robinson doesn't play him it is simply out of fear give the boy a go and he will deliver!
7) John Barclay- Scotlands only player who could be described as close to world class
8) Richard Vernon- Too soon for Johnnie Beattie and Vernon has played well for the warriors all year
9) Rory Lawson- Brilliant in autumn and offers far more than Mike Blair
10) Dan Parks- Finally found consistency last year and hopefully he can continue this year!
11) Sean Lamont- Powerful runner could cause France problems at times
12) Jack Cuthbert- Has played well in the premiership this year and Robinson should chuck him,too often scotland go for older players when they should throw the young guys in at the deep end
13) Max Evans- Quick feet and an eye for a gap, could cause France problems from quick ball
14) Rory Lamont- Powerful and consistent
15) Hugo Southwell- Huge boot, strong defence and an eye for an attack from deep
16) Dougie Hall- Form of his life playing well and good experienced head off the bench
17) Euan Murray- Potentially could cause havoc off the bench with a tiring french loosehead in the scrum
18) Richie Gray- Great athletic option for last 30 minutes of a game, quick round the park and good with the ball in hand
19) Kelly Brown- Agressive and well rounded player
20) Mike Blair- Could be helpful to have his cool head off the bench
21) Ruaridh Jackson- Young and exciting has potenial to change game with one movement. That good at times. NEEDS TO BE MORE CONSISTENT!
22) Chris Paterson- No one better, best scottish player of last 10 years consisten, cool under pressure and skilful

^^^^^^^^^^ Agree with this team, but a few questions from me...

Don't get to see ML, but can't Moray Low cover both sides? In which case Murray ,imo, should start
Like the look of Richie Gray, and I would like to see him as 1st choice no 4. come the WC, need a heap of game time and the 'less winnable' (I know it sounds negative) games would be the time to do it

And finally, Jack Cuthbert, is he competent at 12?

Later research has shown Jack Cuthbert is not as competent as I believed. I can only apologise. Care to give me a 12 because the options are horrendous!

Latest posts