• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

France Vs Italy

Try for Italy,
Good on em, they've had a couple of decent attacks, good to see them get something for it

And another!

Thanks to Feircassin for opening this thread :p

Good match from the boyz ! appart a guilty moment of 10 minutes for 2 tries, it was a serious match .

I do not like too much Pointrenaud usually but i do reckon that he has made a great match today . Andreu has the flair ;) . Trinh-Duc is really becoming impressive with 3 decisives pass for tries ...Again a really strong match from our forward , Harinordoquy again imperial...

Now England ! ^_^

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The All Whites @ Mar 15 2010, 03:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What is the deal with the french hooter thing? When everyone cheers after?? :)[/b]

I hate that thing with a passion, I was at the disastrous Ireland/France match during the World Cup and everytime it went off it was like a "you're ****" by 60,000 French fans.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jockstrap @ Mar 14 2010, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The All Whites @ Mar 15 2010, 03:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is the deal with the french hooter thing? When everyone cheers after?? :)[/b]

I hate that thing with a passion, I was at the disastrous Ireland/France match during the World Cup and everytime it went off it was like a "you're ****" by 60,000 French fans.
[/b][/quote]

Well we were.

Just back from the Stade, awesome atmosphere, great spectacle and champagne rugby just like we like it! :bravo:
It seems we have infinite depth in centres and wings (Jauzion, Mermoz, Basta, Marty, David, Fritz, Palisson, Malzieu, Fall, Clerc, Rougerie, and now that Andreu midget who seems bloody good) so everytime one gets injured it gives a chance to a very good sub who has a point to prove and that creates a very positive attitude from all players. Then our forwards are uber dominant, and just to think that Barcella and Millo-Chlusky are missing, and Picamoles is there "just in case" :eek: I mean how many teams wouldnt have Picamoles in their 22?
They are the reason the whole team is performing so much better than last year. As long as we dont lose our key players (the front row, Nallet, Hari, Dusautoir), I think we will be very difficult to beat next week.

However I think England is the team that can do it, they know exactly what makes us lose our rugby and if we beat them it will be by a small margin. I really hope we do though, since
a ) winning the 6N with a defeat would feel weird
b ) beating the english always feels great
c ) winning the GS would be awesome

Didn't see the match, but everyone talking about Andreu. Has he played for France before? Looks small, so a new Dominici?

Mallet wasn't too happy, he reckons it was Italy's worst performance in a year and they made France look a lot better than they played today.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Mar 14 2010, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Didn't see the match, but everyone talking about Andreu. Has he played for France before? Looks small, so a new Dominici?[/b]

He played for our sevens team a few times, and played 20 minutes against Wales. Today was the first time he started a game for France so it was a pretty big day for him.
Comparing him to Dominici is actually quite spot on. Unbelievable acceleration and sidesteps, decent defense, but he lacks weight so he can't really handoff or run inside lines like Bowe for example. Against Italy he was the perfect choice, scored a try and made two others happen, but he could be in trouble against bigger wings. An encouraging first test for sure.
He is the Castres 11, and just like his whole team he's having a great year

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jockstrap @ Mar 14 2010, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Mallet wasn't too happy, he reckons it was Italy's worst performance in a year and they made France look a lot better than they played today.[/b]

That's funny because every coach has said that after playing France... :rolleyes:

:D

Impressive France. Andreu looked alert, smart and hungry. As did every player for France yesterday. Was refreshing to see some running rugby for a change. I'm going to support France from now on, France are giving me a semi, i admit.

When the highlights reel is realised, it's got to be the greatest one in years!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Mar 15 2010, 03:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jockstrap @ Mar 14 2010, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mallet wasn't too happy, he reckons it was Italy's worst performance in a year and they made France look a lot better than they played today.[/b]

That's funny because every coach has said that after playing France... :rolleyes:
[/b][/quote]true, credit to France for their flamboyant offence

but also true that Italy had never had so many missed tackles (many of them very easy...) and so many defensive errors so far, even in the awful game at Dublin defence and tackles were the only good point for the italian team

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rocket Singh @ Mar 14 2010, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The All Whites @ Mar 14 2010, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh you mean the Spanish Flamenco trumpet and the OLE! ?

Thats been in French Rugby for a while but caught on when it was used in the Rugby World Cup 2007 and now its all over Europe in Rugby these days.
[/b][/quote]

It's not Flamenco, rather Paso Doble the music played during corridas which are popular in south of France. Like in Spain bandas gather for most of the popular events such as Rugby matches.

This weekends 6N team according to planetrugby:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Planetrugby)</div>
Now that the dust has settled over in Dublin, Edinburgh and Paris, Planet Rugby thought it was only right to hail the star performers of Round Four.

There were more landmarks and significant occasions arising as the 2010 Six Nations moved into its home straight, with Brian O'Driscoll running out for his 100th international, Scotland and England playing out a Calcutta Cup draw while France moved one step closer to a Slam.

Saturday's action began at Croke Park where Wales' poor form continued against the Irish, who managed to keep a bit of pressure on Les Blues.

Murrayfield was then the venue for the Calcutta Cup's 127th edition in what was a slightly drab affair that ended with an arguably fair 15-15 result.

Action on Sunday meanwhile saw a rampant France dominate the Azzurri by six tries to two in Paris. It should really have been more as the hosts now ready themselves for hosting England at the same venue in five days time.

So who were the players that grabbed our attention at PR Headquarters? See for yourself in the fourth of our Championship line-ups..feel free to mail in your own selections!

Six Nations: PR's XV of Round Four:

15 Clément Poitrenaud (France) - So often carded as too hot-and-cold by many pundits, the Toulouse full-back was scorching at Stade de France. He also seems to have picked up and extra yard of pace recently going off his performance on Sunday. Chose not to kick and ran pretty much everything.

14 Marc Andreu (France) - The man from Castres is by no means the biggest on the rugby field but on Sunday he was certainly one of the bravest. He ran flat out into and at the arms of Mirco Bergamasco all day before popping up in midfield for a deserved debut score. Top stuff.

13 David Marty (France) - Brace of tries for the Perpignan midfield maestro thanks to just picking the holes and backing himself to get through them. Credit must go to his number ten for spotting that and laying on the service but Marty has now given Marc Lièvremont a headache ahead of England.

12 Jamie Roberts (Wales) - The Lion and Blue was decent for his side despite them going down in Dublin. Wales were on the back foot for large parts but when in possession, they looked to Roberts to get them going forward. He duly did and the centre seems to be back to that form of South Africa.

11 Keith Earls (Ireland) - Declan Kidney decided to persist with his old Munster colleague for the 2010 Championship and his loyalty has paid off. Shane Horgan, Johne Murphy and Ian Dowling must continue to sit and wait as the two-try Earls finished superbly in Dublin.

10 Francois Trinh-Duc (France) - No one really threw their hat into the ring to control our XV this weekend. Therefore, our hand was forced to pick the guy who was setting up a handful of tries for his country. Yes, the Montpol man was put on the front-foot but he still lapped it up.

9 Tomas O'Leary (Ireland) - Barring another assured performance from Morgan Parra, this jersey had one man and one man only set to fill it. The Munster and Ireland scrum-half was brilliant on Saturday in setting up Earls before going over himself. A cut above.

8 Imanol Harinordoquy (France) - This was a toss-up between two number eights who failed to let their 2010 form dip one bit in Round Four. Johnnie Beattie was again a powerhouse for Scotland but the skills of the Frenchman in both lineout and around the park saw him edge the battle.

7 David Wallace (Ireland) - There seems to be a growing feeling of descriptive déjà vu when this openside makes our team. His ball-carrying ability was once again first-class for Ireland and alongside Earls and O'Leary, those three were most definitely the standout performers for a solid Ireland.

6 Thierry Dusautoir (France) - We feel there is a growing momentum building behind this French team and if they keep it up, Rugby World Cup 2011 will begin with them right up there as one of the favourites. Dusautoir was right in the thick of it again, tackling, supporting and leading superbly.

5 Alastair Kellock (Scotland) - Glasgow forward Kellock is quickly making himself undroppable under coach Andy Robinson after an immense game in the lineout and also around the field. While his opposite number was dealing with England's indiscipline, he was busy putting in the hard graft.

4 Lionel Nallet (France) - Both the former captain and Julien Pierre were very impressive for Sunday's side in white and he fully deserves his place in our line-up. As mentioned in previous weeks, Nallet seems to be thriving without the captaincy responsibilities and was physical and solid up front.

3 Nicolas Mas (France) - He has been there or thereabouts as the best tighthead in the competition this year alongside Adam Jones, who got a very slight edge over Cian Healy. But Mas again demonstrated his class against what is a very combative Italian trio.

2 William Servat (France) - Scotland hooker Ross Ford won his personal battle with Dylan Hartley at Murrayfield but Servat just offers something extra in general play that makes him start ahead of Dimitri Szarzewski, which is no mean feat. A faultless lineout in the middle of an immense pack.

1 Thomas Domingo (France) - What a ball-carrier. Still at only 24 years of ago, the Clermont prop was at his destructive best in the loose and on this form should remain a shoo-in if he can stay fit. Injury forced him off late on but his damage on Italy was already done.

Compiled by Adam Kyriacou[/b]

Did I imagine it, or did he mention Ian Dowling?

Agree with the team though. Cant argue with any of those selections.

Andreu and the combinaison he played on Jauzion's try looks like Brent Russel and the try he score on A Clermont's try in a 5m touch, where James give a flat pass with a false appeal from Rougerie.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stuart Barnes, about the France-Italy game)</div>
They say the darkest hour is right before the dawn. After the misery of Murrayfield came an exhibition of pure exuberance in Paris. Spearheaded by a sublime performance from Clement Poitrenead, France produced everything that was on Saturday night. Subtle decoy angles, precise passing, off loading of the highest calibre, backed up by deep and intelligent supporting lines and, to crown it all, the courage to play what was in front of them.

The full back came up with the most perfect piece of rugby to date in this season's Six Nations after a mark, a dart between two defenders, a shimmy, step and inside line to fix the tackler and release his right wing. That particular piece of poetry occurred in the first quarter of the game; the shape of things to come.

Another aimless Italian kick and he exploded out of his 22, not beating anyone but running into a space that lured two defenders and opened a hole for his support runners to carry the move on with pace and accuracy until David Marty celebrated in the corner.
Related Links

This was rugby as it should be played. It is a way that none of the other teams can live when they generate the white heat as they did on Sunday. Italy scored some fine consolation tries and the commentator wondered if the management would be angry. I doubt it, the match was already won and the rugby already played. France is saving the Northern Hemisphere's international season. There is not a neutral in the world who would want them to miss out on the Grand Slam.

[...]

14 Marc Andreu – Any man a whole inch shorter than me whose not a loose head walks into my team, especially the Castres winger who speed and timing was exceptional

15 Clement Poitrenaud – Man of the weekend and if you watched Saturday night and Sunday afternoon and don't know why, well, you are lacking poetry my friends.[/b]

:p Candy to my ears...

Excellent article on BBC website:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A64928541

by Red_xl (U14052764) 14 March 2010

Well well, who on earth do France think they are?
Winning a rugby match by scoring tries?!
Playing entertaining rugby?!

Something'll have to be done about this. Have they never heard of penalties and drop goals? Can't have people having value for money on their tickets.

Fortunately we're in town next week to nip this nonsense in the bud. Teach them some real rugby. Oh yes, they'll fear our aimless kicking from hand, and hoping for a penalty in their half. Steve Borthwick will be having a word with the referee, put a stop to people having the ball AND being on their feet for more than 3 seconds, going round people rather than collapsing meekly infront of them AND being unsporting and playing their best team and not giving us a chance.

Luckily, England arn't going to be phased by this, and have come up with a cunning plan. They're simply going to install Rob Andrew as French "elite performance director". Should do the job nicely.

Latest posts