• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

From the league that brought you Johnny "Big Balls" Sexton - Guinness Pro 14: R.14

Leonormous Boozer

Fat Boi
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Connacht v Ospreys - Two sides on the up after more than disappointing starts from the season, Connacht have more stones and home advantage, win Green.

Dragons v Glasgow - A good chance for Dragons to cause an upset but I doubt it, Glasgow have enough about them even minus their Scots.

Edinburgh v Leinster - Again a chance for Edinburgh to cause an upset, especially if Leinster don't get Jordi Murphy back, it'll be a pack of kids and a relatively experienced backline for Ster and I could see them fall short.

Ulster v Kings - Even Ulster can win this... They can.

Munster v Zebre - Dream draw for Munster, Zebre will be mad depleted so there's no upset chance whatsoever.

Cardiff v Cheetahs - Cheetahs could make a push for 2nd in the pool over the next couple months, Cardiff will be almost as formidable as they can be but they're easily beatable.

Treviso v Scarlets - Another upset chance, I think Benetton might sneak this if they get Ian McKinley among a few other fringe Italians.

I wouldn't go near the bookies with this set of fixtures, crazy unpredictable time of year.

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets)

15. Dave Kearney (118)
14. Fergus McFadden (164)
13. Rory O'Loughlin (33)
12. Noel Reid (93)
11. Barry Daly (18)
10. Ross Byrne (41)
9. Jamison Gibson-Park (43)
1. Peter Dooley (42)
2. Richardt Strauss (151) CAPTAIN
3. Michael Bent (99)
4. Ross Molony (55)
5. Scott Fardy (13)
6. Josh Murphy (3)
7. Will Connors (0)
8. Max Deegan (11)

Replacements

16. Bryan Byrne (22)
17. Ed Byrne (17)
18. Óisín Heffernan (2)
19. Mick Kearney (29)
20. Peadar Timmins (8)
21. Luke McGrath (88)
22. Ciarán Frawley (0)
23. Adam Byrne (31)

Ooof, this is when we'll be affected by only being allowed to play two of our Antipodians, no 15 in sight this week! Strong front five with a backrow full of potential, I'm a big fan of Connors. Its a very strong side for the time apart from DK at 15, it'll be interesting to see if Frawley gets minutes, I can't remember him for the 20's last year but he's not Cathal Marsh which stands to him hugely!

That's a pretty side apart from Heffernan. Bit **** for McGarth not making the Ireland 23 after not making any mistakes!

Good to see Adam Byrne back, become something of a forgotten man.

Apparently Easterby gave an interview where Lowe was signed before we had the opportunity to sign Fardy, imagine how ****** we'd have been without him!

That's a pretty side apart from Heffernan. Bit **** for McGarth not making the Ireland 23 after not making any mistakes!

Good to see Adam Byrne back, become something of a forgotten man.

Apparently Easterby gave an interview where Lowe was signed before we had the opportunity to sign Fardy, imagine how ****** we'd have been without him!
I've only seen Muff criticise the signings, two insanely talented players is better than one regardless of being slightly hamstrung from time to time.

Ulster XV to play Southern Kings
15. Charles Piutau
14. Craig Gilroy
13. Luke Marshall
12. Stuart McCloskey
11. Rob Lyttle
10. Johnny McPhillips
9. John Cooney

1. Andy Warwick
2. John Andrew
3. Wiehahn Herbst
4. Alan O'Connor (captain)
5. Kieran Treadwell
6. Matthew Rea
7. Sean Reidy
8. Nick Timoney

Replacements:
16. Rob Herring
17. Kyle McCall
18. Rodney Ah You
19. Matthew Dalton
20. Chris Henry
21. Jonny Stewart
22. Darren Cave
23. Louis Ludik

Southern Kings XV to face Ulster
15. Masixole Banda
14. Yaw Penxe
13. Berton Klaasen
12. Luzuko Vulindlu
11. Anthonie Volmink
10. Martin Du Toit
9. Rowan Gouws

1. Schalk Ferreira
2. Michael Willemse (C)
3. Pieter Scholtz
4. Stephan Greeff
5. Bobby De Wee
6. Andisa Ntsila
7. Martinus Burger
8. Ruaan Lerm

Replacements:
16. Stephan Coetzee
17. Johan Smith
18. Dayan Van der Westhuizen
19. Jurie Van Vuuren
20. Eital Bredenkamp
21. Godlen Masimla
22. Barend Janse van Rensburg
23. Harlon Klaasen

Connacht:

15. Tiernan O'Halloran
14. Cian Kelleher
13. Eoin Griffin
12. Tom Farrell
11. Matt Healy
10. Craig Ronaldson
9. Caolin Blade

1. Denis Coulson
2. Tom McCartney
3. Conor Carey
4. Andrew Browne
5. James Cannon
6. Eoghan Masterson
7. Naulia Dawai
8. John Muldoon (captain)

Replacements:

16. Shane Delahunt
17. Peter McCabe
18. Dominic Robertson McCoy
19. Gavin Thornbury
20. James Connolly
21. James Mitchell
22. Jack Carty
23. Pita Ahki

Ospreys:

15. Dan Evans
14. Hanno Dirksen
13. Kieron Fonotia
12. Ashley Beck
11. Dafydd Howells
10. Sam Davies
9. Tom Habberfield

1. Rhodri Jones
2. Scott Otten
3. Dmitri Arhip
4. Lloyd Ashley
5. James King
6. Olly Cracknell
7. Will Jones
8. Rob McCusker (captain)

Replacements:

16. Sam Parry
17. Nicky Smith
18. Ma'afu Fia
19. Guy Mercer
20. Sam Cross
21. Reuben Morgan-Williams
22. Luke Price
23. Joe Thomas

Where's Isa? We could use him a lot both for His experience and because we need a fullback.

Exciting backrow, I've been impressed by Murphy so far, heard good things about Connors and Deegan's pedigree speaks for itself.

The front five is much better than I thought it would be. Nice to see Adam Byrne back. Barry Daly could have been in the Ireland squad for November if he hadn't gotten injured. Hopefully he can get his early season form back quickly enough.

Going on Conference positions I think the only upset will be Cardiff beating the Cheetahs. Connacht vs Ospreys looks like the best fixture looking at the lineups.

Is there a rule that limits the number of Leinster foreigners in any given 23?

It'll be literally freezing during this match so I'll wimp out and not see it in the flesh. Could be the last ever game at Myreside (assuming pitch isn't frozen) as the experiment has been considered a failure and the SRU have the funds to build a mini-Murrayfield. Sensible and would be a great move if it gets the go ahead.

Going on Conference positions I think the only upset will be Cardiff beating the Cheetahs. Connacht vs Ospreys looks like the best fixture looking at the lineups.

Is there a rule that limits the number of Leinster foreigners in any given 23?
We can't have Fardy, Lowe and JGP in one squad because of EU laws, need to pick two of three.

I've only seen Muff criticise the signings, two insanely talented players is better than one regardless of being slightly hamstrung from time to time.
Never criticises the players. More the balls that was made. Agree they are talented players but well a waste of a cash when you can't play them all especially in needs.
Like who will loose put vs Sarries. Lowe or Fardy.
Obviously JGP is going to be selected as 21 as there is no way that they will throw McCarthy in. If they were he would be ramping up minutes now in prep

I think Fardy is miles ahead of Lowe, he's probably been up there with Furlong as our best forward this year. You'd hope we can find another scrumhalf as backup because it's a massive waste to have a player as talented as Lowe and not use him.

Never criticises the players. More the balls that was made. Agree they are talented players but well a waste of a cash when you can't play them all especially in needs.
Obviously JGP is going to be selected as 21 as there is no way that they will throw McCarthy in. If they were he would be ramping up minutes now in prep
But it was intended according to Easterby. Lowe was signed, Fardy became available and we definitely needed him.

I think Lowe is seen as a long term project, Byrne, McFadden and Larmour are all better wing options while his defence is shaky, Fardy is our best second row.

I'll be interested to see what happens when JGP becomes IQ, will World Rugby laws have any bearing on EU laws? Might get an interesting case out of it!

Disagree with this almost entirely. Signing Lowe and Fardy isn't a waste of cash in any way, shape or form. Leinster took advantage of an opportunity which presented itself. That only two from Lowe, Fardy and Jamison Gibson Park can be picked in a matchday 23 is unfortunate but doesn't mean signing those players was a bad decision. It just means they need to be rotated smartly to get the best out of all players to the end of the season. I imagine Gibson Park will be the scrumhalf for away games with Nick McCarthy backing up Luke McGrath at home allowing Fardy and Lowe weeks off when Leinster are on the road.

Not sure what to make of the Leinster team as they're down to the bare bones. Backrow is very interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing how Josh Murphy, Max Deegan and Will Connors perform. Deegan is the most experienced of the group somehow!

Disagree with this almost entirely. Signing Lowe and Fardy isn't a waste of cash in any way, shape or form. Leinster took advantage of an opportunity which presented itself. That only two from Lowe, Fardy and Jamison Gibson Park can be picked in a matchday 23 is unfortunate but doesn't mean signing those players was a bad decision. It just means they need to be rotated smartly to get the best out of all players to the end of the season. I imagine Gibson Park will be the scrumhalf for away games with Nick McCarthy backing up Luke McGrath at home allowing Fardy and Lowe weeks off when Leinster are on the road.

Not sure what to make of the Leinster team as they're down to the bare bones. Backrow is very interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing how Josh Murphy, Max Deegan and Will Connors perform. Deegan is the most experienced of the group somehow!
But isn't it a bit of sin that 1 of 2 very talented players misses out?
Like as I say I get signing Fardy as Leinster needed it.
But 2 questions. If Fardy was signed 1st do you still think Lowe would be signed?
Who do you leave out come QF?

Like Leinster have already admitted they got it a bit wrong. And way you describe it is good regards rotation. Maybe I'm just looking at it from different view

But isn't it a bit of sin that 1 of 2 very talented players misses out?
Like as I say I get signing Fardy as Leinster needed it.
But 2 questions. If Fardy was signed 1st do you still think Lowe would be signed?
Who do you leave out come QF?

Like Leinster have already admitted they got it a bit wrong. And way you describe it is good regards rotation. Maybe I'm just looking at it from different view
I can see the argument that it's a bad situation to see your team in but look at it differently. It's not ideal but it's better to have three quality players fighting for two spots that having a weaker squad. Do I think Leinster were right to sign two high class players when the opportunity presented itself? Yes. Did they foresee the regulations on non-EU players having an impact? I don't know. Do I think they'd make the same decision if they did know? Yes.

The quarter final is two months away and a lot can happen between now and then. Injuries could come into play. If all were fit, Scott Fardy is a certainty for the squad. James Lowe or Jamison Gibson Park comes down to who's in better form. Leinster have better cover on the wing with Isa Nacewa, Adam Byrne, Fergus McFadden. Dave Kearney and Barry Daly all options to play. I suspect Jamison Gibson Park will get the call to bench against Saracens but would prefer to see Lowe start.

Ulster XV to play Southern Kings

1. Andy Warwick
2. John Andrew
3. Wiehahn Herbst
4. Alan O'Connor (captain)
5. Kieran Treadwell
6. Matthew Rea
7. Sean Reidy
8. Nick Timoney
That's a very weak pack.

Dragons and Glasgow teams:

Dragons: Hallam Amos; Adam Warren, Tyler Morgan, Jack Dixon, Jared Rosser; Zane Kirchner, Dan Babos; Sam Hobbs, Liam Belcher, Lloyd Fairbrother, Joe Davies, Rynard Landman, Aaron Wainwright, James Benjamin, Harri Keddie (capt).

Replacements: Ellis Shipp, Gerard Ellis, Leon Brown, Henri Williams, Lennon Greggains, Sarel Pretorius, Gavin Henson, Jarryd Sage.

Glasgow Warriors: Jackson, Jones, Grigg, Thomson, Tagive, Hastings, Horne, Allan Malcolm, Halanukonuka, Harley (capt), Peterson M Fagerson, Fusaro, Ashe.

Replacements: Stewart, Kebble, Rae, McDonald, Smith, Pyrgos, Kelly, Matawalu.

Amos and Morgan coming back will be big positive and give that extra spark to the backs, still not convinced by Kircher at 10 though. Another start for the 17Yo at 9 and to be fair to him he hasn't looked out of place at this level (apart from looking tiny compared to everyone else). That tight 5 makes me sad though and needs to be sorted next season, Brown coming off the bench will be a good improvement. It's a young but rather talented back row. Glasgow missing a number of players but I still think they should be good enough to take this.

Must say Connacht are putting out a really nice backline. Ronaldson could have a future as the first choice ten if Farrell continues to excel at 12. He's a quality player.

Munster:

15. Simon Zebo
14. Darren Sweetnam
13. Sammy Arnold
12. Dan Goggin
11. Alex Wootton
10. JJ Hanrahan
9. Duncan Williams

1. James Cronin
2. Niall Scannell
3. Brian Scott
4. Jean Kleyn
5. Billy Holland (captain)
6. Jack O'Donoghue
7. Conor Oliver
8. Robin Copeland

Replacements:

16. Kevin O'Byrne
17. Jeremy Loughman
18. John Ryan
19. Gerbrandt Grobler
20. Dave O'Callaghan
21. John Poland
22. Ian Keatley
23. Rory Scannell

Possible debuts for Grobler and Poland off the bench. Good weekend for Grobler to make his Pro14 debut with the 6 Nations grabbing all the headlines.

Grobler should get some minutes this weekend. Hopefully debuting him during an international window in one of Munster's least remarkable fixtures will prevent this story from reigniting. I'd be tempted to give Grobler a start at some point during the Six Nations too. Maybe by the time the tournament is over, the pundits will have forgotten about Gerbrandt.

It's the perfect time for Munster to blood some younger players, so it'll be interesting to see how they get on. Still plenty of experience in the side though, and it's a good looking team overall, so I can't imagine anything other than a comfortable win here. I could see all four provinces picking up wins this weekend, but Connacht and Leinster have tougher matches on their hands and I honestly don't know what to expect from Ulster at this point.

Latest posts