• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

From the league that brought you Johnny "Big Balls" Sexton - Guinness Pro 14: R.14

In no way am I attacking Gerbrandt Grobler personally in my views below. Don't take this the wrong way but believing the player would have come clean is naive. I can't recall a single sportsman who in the prime of his career has ever come clean without being caught about their doping unless under oath. Maybe this player is the exception. I highly doubt it. Saying guilt would have gotten the better of him is a case of preaching to the converted. Some Munster supporters may believe it but nobody else will.

I said what's best for Irish rugby is what should be adhered to, not what's best for the player. What's best for Irish rugby is zero tolerance towards PED usage. I don't believe this player should have been signed by an Irish province based on the IRFU's supposed zero tolerance policy towards PED use. On that I've been very clear. I also wish no ill towards him and hope he plays well for Munster if called upon and stays clear of PEDs from now on.

The IRFU are being attacked on this, it's not solely Munster bashing. Philip Browne was doorstepped about it be Newstalk. They pulled no punches in the interview in pointing out the hypocrisy of stating there's a zero tolerance policy and signing a player who used PEDs. Garrett Fitzgerald have been called out on it too. Yesterday's press release was extremely clumsy. What I read into it is that it's okay to cheat and serve your time if it's on somebody else's watch. It's not zero tolerance if you tolerate drug cheats coming in.

In the main, the media and fans don't care which I think is a sad state of affairs. Grobler is a pawn in this. The problems go much deeper. Somebody showed him how to dope and where to get the products. Those are the people we really need to target and eradicate from this sport and all sports.

Southern Kings really are a shambles. To concede almost 60 points to an Ulster team containing that pack is dreadful.
Not saying you are attacking him personally. But others were which made it a joke. On the coming clean bit. My view is regardless he was caught. Didn't offer excuses. Served his time and is free to play.

On what's best for Irish Rugby. Maybe it was felt that to keep Munster going well would be good for Irish rugby so to get a guy like GG in, who was best option on short notice, for 1 year was best for Irish rugby.
I'm not directing it at you but some got very personnel with 1 reporter I've mentioned saying "GG must've had some mother to allow forgiveness". A real shitty comment.

The IRFU and Munster only got it after the first wave. Yesterday's press was more a F you to the 3 reporters I mentioned. You say nobody cares and you are right however there was a superb opportunity to address this in a good way but no we had lads on missions who made it about them and the story became more on the spat between IRFU and Media. As I said Kimmage is a hypocrite and a clown. He does F all for doping in sport. He just latches on. Even Lance Armstrong case it was David Walsh who was instrumental not Kimmage.

On the abject Kings, their situation isn't helped by their coach having to skip this European tour on medical grounds. Expect cricket scores meantime.

Yesterday's press release was extremely clumsy. What I read into it is that it's okay to cheat and serve your time if it's on somebody else's watch. It's not zero tolerance if you tolerate drug cheats coming in.

Nobody is trying to give the impression that it's "okay" to cheat. It's clearly not being encouraged. But yes, you can come back to play rugby if you've served your time. Those are the laws. Those have always been the laws. What is frustrating about this story is the outrage about Munster and the IRFU applying a rule that was already in place. There isn't much of a story here.

One of the key points of contention has been the use of the words "zero tolerance", but people are misinterpreting what that means. Zero tolerance generally refers to a non-acceptance of certain behaviours, through strict and uncompromising application of the law. It doesn't refer to application of punishments beyond what is specified by law. Allowing someone who has served their ban to come back to the game does not violate a zero tolerance policy.

I do think that it was a mistake to use the words "zero tolerance" in the press release though, after this had already caused confusion when the story initially broke.

@Hanley! That is a good summarization.
The zero tolerance is meant like on there watch there will be no tolerance and no leniency in serving punishment. However after you serve your time as in any crime you are back being eligible.

I do think that it was a mistake to use the words "zero tolerance" in the press release though, after this had already caused confusion when the story initially broke.
That's what I was having a go at. The use of zero tolerance can easily be interpreted as zero tolerance on PED use. It's how I interpreted it. The statement yesterday fudged the issue.

That's what I was having a go at. The use of zero tolerance can easily be interpreted as zero tolerance on PED use. It's how I interpreted it. The statement yesterday fudged the issue.
It is fair as I say to question that and the clarity but what muddied the waters was the approach some journalists made.

On game tonight my got just walked Thomond Park pitch and it bad and weather is awful too

That was one of the most intense games of rugby ive seen. And 96 minutes? Wtf did the rules of rugby change so that the game does not end after the ball was kicked out? And the Blues just kept trying to play presumably because they want a bonus point but that really gave the Cheetahs a real good chance to win the game. Was actually very risky play by the blues but they won the Cheetahs at the end.
Very entertaining game.

The weather was awful at the arms park last night and that is saying something as it's always windy. Cheetahs had the wind second half and didn't really take adavantage of it. Thought Rhun Williams looked good, glad to have him back. Ellis Jenkins imperious again. You can tell Shaun Edwards is back with wales in terms of defence, looked a little shaky this week. Stern test against Munster next week.

@Bruce_ma_goose youve finally backed us and we won! Hoodo over my friend :cool:

Munster had a BP win last night. Conditions were poor and well it lead to boring game. But we did get to see a few more guys bit closer and well it was bit of depth used.

Duncan Williams looked amateurish for a guy playing his 150th game for Munster yesterday. He hasn't played that badly in a long old while. Likewise the gulf in class between Keatley and Hanrahan is only getting bigger. Our play was infinitely better when Keatley came on. Hanrahan honestly did little right and if he can't excel against a weakened Zebre, it may be time to promote Johnston. Zebo looked like he didn't give a ****. Oliver was good again. Copeland had a great game. Arnold ran hard and got results. Poland looked sharp in his little cameo and it was great to see Grobler get the biggest cheer of the night.

Duncan Williams looked amateurish for a guy playing his 150th game for Munster yesterday. He hasn't played that badly in a long old while. Likewise the gulf in class between Keatley and Hanrahan is only getting bigger. Our play was infinitely better when Keatley came on. Hanrahan honestly did little right and if he can't excel against a weakened Zebre, it may be time to promote Johnston. Zebo looked like he didn't give a ****. Oliver was good again. Copeland had a great game. Arnold ran hard and got results. Poland looked sharp in his little cameo and it was great to see Grobler get the biggest cheer of the night.

Is it likely he'll be heading down to the Arms Park next week? He was a big fan favourite when he was here. Always good to see him play (although hoping for a quiet game at this one).

Alot of this is accurate. Grobler made few big stops too. But to be fair to some lads the flu virus hit us big time. But a fair assessment.

@Bluemoon If you are on about Copeland it very likely he will be there

Is it likely he'll be heading down to the Arms Park next week? He was a big fan favourite when he was here. Always good to see him play (although hoping for a quiet game at this one).
I should think so yeah. Word of him not getting another contract with us, but he played like a hungry man last night and was ripping ball off them constantly. He's always a guy who will excel on a firm surface or an artificial one with his pace and power, but has struggled doing the nitty gritty in the past. Would love to see him jump at all the gametime he can get.

Can see that 100%. Very good in loose play, deceptively quick and hard to bring down in full flight, which always suits how Cardiff have traditionally tried to play. He's but not really your typical grunt 6, or really in your O'Mahony mold.

I think he was such a favourite here as he was so engaged with the supporters. Gave everything to the club before leaving and was very much recognised for that. It's a shame that he hasn't been able to come through the ranks since leaving.

Can see that 100%. Very good in loose play, deceptively quick and hard to bring down in full flight, which always suits how Cardiff have traditionally tried to play. He's but not really your typical grunt 6, or really in your O'Mahony mold.

I think he was such a favourite here as he was so engaged with the supporters. Gave everything to the club before leaving and was very much recognised for that. It's a shame that he hasn't been able to come through the ranks since leaving.
He's a great personality and his strengths were suited to Blues as the pitch there suited him.
Possible destinations are Gloucester and Italy for him next although staying in Ireland isn't fully ruled out either

Benetton beat the best team in the league, bet they're Scarlet about that.

Leinster top of Conference B ahead of their clash with Scarlets next Saturday.

Are Scarlets likely to have many back from Wales duty? Leinster will likely have Sean Cronin, Cian Healy (possibly), James Ryan, Jordi Murphy, Joey Carbery and Jordan Larmour back from Ireland. Luke McGrath and Adam Byrne could come into the starting team from benching versus Edinburgh. Sean O'Brien, Garry Ringrose, Isa Nacewa and James Lowe could all come into the reckoning too.

There were a lot of new combinations, debuts and returns from injury yesterday, so I wouldn't be too concerned with things misfiring a little in the first half. But there really wasn't any excuse for the half backs playing the way they did. Williams just had a bad game, which can happen to anyone. But Hanrahan has had too many games like this. We've hardly seen a quality performance from him since he came back. It might be a confidence thing, but his decision making is all over the place. When Keatley and Rory Scannell came on, we immediately looked like a different team.

Leinster top of Conference B ahead of their clash with Scarlets next Saturday.

Are Scarlets likely to have many back from Wales duty? Leinster will likely have Sean Cronin, Cian Healy (possibly), James Ryan, Jordi Murphy, Joey Carbery and Jordan Larmour back from Ireland. Luke McGrath and Adam Byrne could come into the starting team from benching versus Edinburgh. Sean O'Brien, Garry Ringrose, Isa Nacewa and James Lowe could all come into the reckoning too.
Unlikely Healy will be back. I'd presume anyone in Athlone won't probably play but Leinster should have enough to BP a depleted Scarlets team

The weather was awful at the arms park last night and that is saying something as it's always windy. Cheetahs had the wind second half and didn't really take adavantage of it. Thought Rhun Williams looked good, glad to have him back. Ellis Jenkins imperious again. You can tell Shaun Edwards is back with wales in terms of defence, looked a little shaky this week. Stern test against Munster next week.

@Bruce_ma_goose youve finally backed us and we won! Hoodo over my friend :cool:

Haha, I'll be back on my usual prediction form next time. Brilliant result for neutrals in Conference A. Still a lot of interest in both conferences which I'm sure eyebrow organisers will be relieved about.

Latest posts