• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Future All Blacks

R

rcboi

Who do you guys think are amongst the next generation of AB's?

For me:
Stephen Brett - Likely to go to Europe this year if he can avoid injury
Kieran Read - Same as above, unlucky to miss out
Taniela Moa - Been called in already, not a fan but has impressed selectors
Tim Bateman - Really like his style of play. Differs from recent centers and is very elusive.
Lelia Masaga - Class winger, good finisher with a bit of toe
Zac Guildford - Hasn't really put a foot wrong since making his debut last year, may force his way in in a few years
Dane Coles - IMO the best hooker running around in the ANZ Cup. Former NZ U21 hooker. Lacking in size but very agile, quick and has an eye for the tryline. Has a huge work rate
Liam Messam - Big, fast, agile. Unlucky to have not donned the black jersey already.
Victor Vito - Massive potential. Former u21 international player of the year. Not a lot needs to be said.
Hosea Gear - No doubt he'll be on a plane to europe at the end of the season if his form continues. Best strike weapon in the comp.
Cory Jane - Very good all-round player. Coaches have already shown interest but age is not his ally. Sooner rather than later.
Jamie MacKintosh- The big fella could be a chance for the end of year.

tom mccartney. good solid hooker. still young, and once mealamu moves on, will definatly be pushing hore for hooker in ab's. but i wouldnt get his hopes up for this world cup.

The following 15 could or should be in the AB's in the near future!!

1.J.Makintosh
2.H.Elliot
3.B.Franks (Got called up earlier but didn't play a test or game)
4.J.Thrush
5.T.Donnelly
6.K.Read
7.L.Messam
8.V.Vito
9.T.Moa (Part of the current squad but hasn't played)
10.S.Brett
11.H.Gear
12.T.Bateman
13.D.Sweeney/B.Mather
14.L.Masaga
15.P.Williams

Others include:

16.J.MacDonald
17.W.Crockett
18.C.Clarke
19.T.Latimer
20.A.Matthewson
21.W.Ripia/J.Wilson/J.Gopperth
22.C.Jane

Certainly rate Callum Bruce ahead of Gopperth.

Agree that Stephen Brett and Kieran Reid will be on tour this fall if they are both fit. Think that Liam Messam is a great player and will have a good run with the All Blacks, as he has been impressive with the Chiefs this past S14 campaign. Also think that Mesaga will get a run eventually, but there are so many quality wings available it's hard to get a look.

Do agree that Jane would need to get his opportunity sooner rather than later, but think he deserves it, cuz he is certainly quality and would be a nice compliment to McDonald when he retires.

1.J.Makintosh
2.H.Elliot
4.J.Thrush
5.T.Donnelly
6.K.Read
7.L.Messam
8.V.Vito
10.S.Brett
11.H.Gear
12.T.Bateman
13.D.Sweeney/B.Mather
14.L.Masaga
15.P.Williams

Others include:

16.J.MacDonald
17.W.Crockett
18.C.Clarke
19.T.Latimer
20.A.Matthewson
22.C.Jane
[/b]
Jimmy gopperth???terrible call. James wilson no chance same with craig clarke. Dwayne Sweeney is rubbish and haven't heard of the other guy. Don't rate Thrush or Paul Williams either.

I want to see Brett given a go, but the only question is at what position do you put him? I don't rate him as an international first-five, but in the early going of the Super 14 he looked devastating with the ball in hand when he played second five. The only problem with that is that 1) he's a ***** and can't tackle and 2) Bateman and Stanley have surpassed him in terms of skills wise from the second five eighths position. He is one of those players that is oozing with talent, but I'm not sure he knows what to do with it.

I want to see Brett given a go, but the only question is at what position do you put him? I don't rate him as an international first-five, but in the early going of the Super 14 he looked devastating with the ball in hand when he played second five. The only problem with that is that 1) he's a ***** and can't tackle and 2) Bateman and Stanley have surpassed him in terms of skills wise from the second five eighths position. He is one of those players that is oozing with talent, but I'm not sure he knows what to do with it.
[/b]

I'm assuming you are talking about Benson Stanley from the Blues? Didn't he end the campaign on the bench for the Blues? I know that he looked good based on what I saw of him when I did see him playing. I think Brett will get a look at #12 on that tour. I don't think he's ready for international class either as a #10 at this point.

I have a strange feeling Henry will start rotating his players again.

Anyhow, Benson Stanley must be brought along during the tours, he's such a class player.

<div class='quotemain'>

1.J.Makintosh
2.H.Elliot
4.J.Thrush
5.T.Donnelly
6.K.Read
7.L.Messam
8.V.Vito
10.S.Brett
11.H.Gear
12.T.Bateman
13.D.Sweeney/B.Mather
14.L.Masaga
15.P.Williams

Others include:

16.J.MacDonald
17.W.Crockett
18.C.Clarke
19.T.Latimer
20.A.Matthewson
22.C.Jane
[/b]
Jimmy gopperth???terrible call. James wilson no chance same with craig clarke. Dwayne Sweeney is rubbish and haven't heard of the other guy. Don't rate Thrush or Paul Williams either.
[/b][/quote]

Ok maybe J.Gopperth sucks too bad to be there but I really can'nt think of anyone else!!

What's with all this talking up of Victor Vito?

He played well in Sevens, but he's only played three games for Wellington, you can't pick a player based on three games (unless of course your Henry...). To be honest I'd like to see a Super 14 season with him starring frequently in a starting role before giving him the black jersey.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ollybarkley @ Aug 22 2008, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fcukernaut @ Aug 21 2008, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I want to see Brett given a go, but the only question is at what position do you put him? I don't rate him as an international first-five, but in the early going of the Super 14 he looked devastating with the ball in hand when he played second five. The only problem with that is that 1) he's a ***** and can't tackle and 2) Bateman and Stanley have surpassed him in terms of skills wise from the second five eighths position. He is one of those players that is oozing with talent, but I'm not sure he knows what to do with it.[/b]

I'm assuming you are talking about Benson Stanley from the Blues? Didn't he end the campaign on the bench for the Blues? I know that he looked good based on what I saw of him when I did see him playing. I think Brett will get a look at #12 on that tour. I don't think he's ready for international class either as a #10 at this point.
[/b][/quote]
Your forgetting that Nucifora was the coach. The same Nucifora who thought Rudi Wulf is better than Rocokoko and that we don't need Ali Williams.

i think that luke braid, daniel braid's younger brother has got potential, a likely successor to richie miccaw in years to come. he was voted irb junoir player of the year 2008. all my other choices to be stars of the future have already been named. can fetu'u vainikolo play for NZ?

All this talk of Liam Messam wearing the 7 jersey in the near future seems a bit odd. Is he really good enough to replace Richie?

I've always viewed Reid as more of a no. 6, but I can't say I saw enough of him in the ANC to say where he's best suited at the moment.

Hika Elliot for Hooker in the future for sure, brilliant in ANC and looked good in the AB tour, could have used more game time though.

Evans and McAlister are the future of the All-Blacks if their team give us a chance to grow up they will be amazing players

Latest posts