• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gaming news

Agreed. Short version: The budgets have gotten so big that companies are not taking risks and sticking to sequels and already proven successful Gameplay.

Agreed. Short version: The budgets have gotten so big that companies are not taking risks and sticking to sequels and already proven successful Gameplay.
Not a huge surprise you look an new IP on the PS5 and how so little of it has broken through. Forsaken was a flop by a major studio. Everything else has been so much smaller or based on pre existing IP.

I think Horizon might be the newest sort of big IP. Nothing this generation...yet.

It's always worth checking out smaller games though. Hades was one of the best games in years and was not constrained to have to perform superbly well.

Not a huge surprise you look an new IP on the PS5 and how so little of it has broken through. Forsaken was a flop by a major studio. Everything else has been so much smaller or based on pre existing IP.

I think Horizon might be the newest sort of big IP. Nothing this generation...yet.

It's always worth checking out smaller games though. Hades was one of the best games in years and was not constrained to have to perform superbly well.
I honestly can't remember the last time I played one of the big AAA games. It's not because they're bad, but due to how long they take to complete. Everything is 60+ hours with mostly copy and paste mechanics. I'm not missing much anyway as the indie/AA scene has had far more going on.

Just look at some of the new games out or coming out:
Hobs Burrow, Slay the Princess, Broken Sword, Lair of the Clockwork God, Ex-Zodiac, Slipstream, A Hat in Time, Chilla's Art games, Chasing Static, Shadows of Doubt, Alien Huminoid, Talos Principle 1&2, Forgotten City, Inscryption, Gibbous, Near Mage, GYLT, Gloomy Eyes, Hollowbody...

I could go on. There's plenty of new games that don't try and follow trends and that's where I find the interesting stuff.

The historical branch of total war seems to be a flop ATM with pharaoh not getting great reviews. I'm surprised they haven't done an empire 2 or medieval 3.

3 kingdoms was a big step up in quality of life features and semi reasonable diplomacy.

Last edited:
At long last no longer flogging the dead horse of GTA 5. Can't wait

I've got purchased a PS5 because I just look at the rubbish games/ remakes of games and wonder why companies just don't put any effort in anymore.

I've got purchased a PS5 because I just look at the rubbish games/ remakes of games and wonder why companies just don't put any effort in anymore.
The top tier has been playing it very safe for a while now due to the financial risks - probably since the 360/PS3. They're justing sticking to what they know sells. Remakes, remasters and trend chasing. Look beneath the top tier stuff and gaming is fantastic.

It's the same in film. Star wars, star trek, disney remakes, indiana jones, super heroes, star wars, star trek...

Last edited:
At long last no longer flogging the dead horse of GTA 5. Can't wait
You know, I went back and playedGTA V again on my Series X recently and it really is a dead horse that's been flogged to the max.

RDR2 was such a fantastic game with a great story. I find GTA V a little like RDR in its story - quite stilted. If they can get the same story flow as RDR2 then it could be a cracker of a game. I stopped reading the news about the new GTA as I was a child when they originally started it haha.

I bet the Game of the year show 23 are happy. Someone has ruined there big reveal for the show.

Going to hold off watching till then.

Not that I bought many preowned games there but another blow to the second hand games market.
I feel like way back in 90's and 2000's the gap between what you go for your game and what it was sold for wasn't huge. So trading was great but then the businesses doing that focused on their profit margins and it became less enthusactic.

I also think with this generation and last generation of consoles physical media has vastly decreased and Steam pretty much within 5 years killed it on the PC market (but that always had an issues on the second hand trade market)

Latest posts