• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gareth Edwards Discussion

A

An Tarbh

A resounding yes for me, without doubt the greatest scrumhalf of all time and scorer of the greatest try of all time. Fantastic captain as well. True legend.

Resounding 'Yes' from me.

Arguably the best 9 of all time.

Just waiting for; "Hes crap, george gregan iz tha bom!!!11!!"

did u not read my post under michael jones?..

these polls are f***ing stupid...how dare we vote him in?...votings for useless people like helen clarke,tony blair and president dubya..

voting is not for men who actually contribrute to there communites...

trust an tarbh to be stupid

He was good, but he's no bowl of Special K.
Disclaimer - Before you have a cry I voted "Yes"

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Mar 25 2006, 08:51 PM
Just waiting for; "Hes crap, george gregan iz tha bom!!!11!!"
Um.... :unsure: Sorry, but Greegs is probably the greatest player the brumbies have ever seen, just chuck a good forward pack ahead of him and shi-bang! He's still a superstar. Without a good forward pack and he does play like sh*t, his one problem... :cryy:

Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101@Mar 26 2006, 02:36 AM
did u not read my post under michael jones?..

these polls are f***ing stupid...how dare we vote him in?...votings for useless people like helen clarke,tony blair and president dubya..

voting is not for men who actually contribrute to there communites...

trust an tarbh to be stupid
Wow special school clearly hasn't done you any favours. The point of this forum is to nominate someone who we think should be in the Hall of Fame, make the case and leave it up to the other members, that way we get more rugby related discussion.

If we go with your idea of no votes then there won't be any discussion and members won't post in this section of the forum.

:huh: ..

well thats just stupid..becoz you can talk about the player and his merits or lack there of in his own thread..

what if everyone voted him 'no'?...and then hes gone and what a great discussion in further time when we open up his non-existant thread which shouldve automatically been posted up

are you stupid?...or is it the irish in you?...

anyways i pick gregan over him if this was by any merit

gregan 3 world cup campaigns,2 world cup championships,super 12 championship,lions championship,highest capped player plus hes black..

so gregan over g edwards

Gregan is fantastic!

Until you compare him with people like Edwards and Going....even Loveridge is better than Gregan.....

Still waiting for Gregan to try other things that halfbacks do. Like make scintilating breaks past bohemoth forwards......

Some say that Gregan is the true master halfback who knew his main priority was the pass......well they forgot that Gregan even in his time was overshadowed as a passer by Bachop.

Back on topic....Gareth Edwards is great because his contribution to whatever teams he played in had a telling factor on the result.....more so than Gregan or whoever played No9. Unfortunately there were no RWC for Edwards to win in those days........so he just gave the AB's and SA the beats instead.

Well you truly are moronic making comparisons between Gregan and Edwards. Talking about achievements doesn't really do much for Gregan, he's only won 1 world cup by the way. Edwards won 7 championship medals with Wales including 3 Grand Slams and 5 Triple Crowns not to mention his 2 test series victories in New Zealand and South Africa. So no Gregan isn't better than Edwards. Even the All Blacks were drooling over Edwards when he toured with the 71 Lions.

Greegan sucks balls for one very good reason; A 97 year old Matt Dawson owned his ass.

Oh, and I agree Edwards is the best half back ever.

A no-brainer this one really...

...Well, perhaps not. Chiro is struggling after all.

HA!

Anyway, obviously I wasn't around to enjoy him.... But I have seen games, not to mention that superb try now stored safely on my hard drive hidden amongst edited 8 year old McCauley Caulkin pictures, seen the stats, heard the stories etc... An obvious inclusion imo. Definitely deserves his place amoungst Jonah, Wood, and Jones.

However, and don't kick my dog because of this, I do agree with chiro on one thing. I don't really like the inclusion of a poll to decide. At least not at such an early part in the debate. This reason being that it can produce a fair bit of bias and trendwhores...

I feel that we should have a discussion first. I know there is a discussion thread before they do get sorted to a poll. But, Jeez I don't know what I'm saying here.... I'm a little high off V's at the moment. Bear with me.... Ahem... Well, what I'm trying to say, and I know there is no easy way of doing it fairly... We need a lot more points. More people outling why they should be inducted. If you don;t agree they should be inducted, there also needs to be a well outlined reason why not.... Not looking at anybody in particular, chiro.... I'm just going to leave this post as is and will finish it later. I think I'm having heart attack.

This is a pretty obvious one really and it doesn't need to go to a vote.

I think that a better way to decide if a player gets to go in the hall of fame would be for the members of this website to nominate a board of selectors - maybe five or seven selectors and then once a player is nominated other members could write up arguments on whether the player gets to be in the hall of fame or not.

Maybe the jury (I think jury sounds better than board of selectors) could be six members so to get in you'd need at least four votes.

Members could be changed on a reasonable regular basis - you get 1 month on and then have one month off before you'd get back on again.

I think that this would be a much better method to use.

And back to Edwards - I just want to confirm that it is a yes from me.

An Tarbh, sanzar, Gay-Guy, Rassie, Saintsfan_Webby - Rugby Union

sanzar, St Helens RLFC, ????? - League.

Sorted.

Oh, by the way BigTen.... I vouch for that idea as well. I just think that for something as prestigious as this, you need to have well-rounded debates with in-depth pros and cons put before an elite team of selectors to decide.... I mean, for f***s sake, it's not a presidential elction... This is serious business.

meh..ive only seen like 3 games of him

hes a legend..no doubt

and i still dont know why we have to vote him in...hillarious..re-tarbhs everywhere :lol:

ohwell....i do know that he is only one player and he cant win without out a team
which i stand by my point,and sorry lora but there is no 'greatest player of all time'
maybe greatest halfback ever...maybe

Originally posted by BigTen@Mar 26 2006, 01:02 PM

I think that a better way to decide if a player gets to go in the hall of fame would be for the members of this website to nominate a board of selectors - maybe five or seven selectors and then once a player is nominated other members could write up arguments on whether the player gets to be in the hall of fame or not.

Maybe the jury (I think jury sounds better than board of selectors) could be six members so to get in you'd need at least four votes.

Members could be changed on a reasonable regular basis - you get 1 month on and then have one month off before you'd get back on again.

Good idea, like the sound of it.

However, I wouldn't change the jury every month, I'd leave some consistency until it was felt a change was needed.

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby+Mar 27 2006, 01:12 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-BigTen
@Mar 26 2006, 01:02 PM

Good idea, like the sound of it.

However, I wouldn't change the jury every month, I'd leave some consistency until it was felt a change was needed. [/b]
Exactly.

We need the same guys doing it until they quit... Or something. Let's put this forward to Annie. I personally think that having a poll is.... Well, not necessarily a bad idea...But not a very good one....For reasons outlined above...

...So this post is just sort of me agreeing with you like I did in my earlier post and basically saying exactly what I did then.

Hands up who knows why my post count is so high!!

Anyway...

What do ya say An Tarbh/St Helens? It's not too late to change the rules.

I think this way, people COULD be more likely to be involved in more debate. Rather than a simple yes/no, this COULD lead to a lot of interesting reading, and maybe a few sways of decisions etc.

Latest posts