• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Getting into shape

B

bates

Hi guys,

For the moment I'm playing cricket as I only came back home in March and didn’t find the time to join a rugby team.
Now, as my cricket team shares their facilities with the rugby team, the rugby head coach approached me and asked me if I was keen on joining the team. Yes.

But as I didn't play rugby for a long time and as I consider myself completely out of shape I would like to become stronger, develop my arms, shoulders muscles, belly and neck.

During the week I run 3 times 8 km and I swim 2,5 twice a week.
SO as somebody has a decent work out for me, please feel free to share.

A second question on weight training; sometimes when you read info out of a magazine or from a site they write 3 series of this, how many times do you have to repeat an exercise per series (to have 1 series)?

Thnx guys

Bump,

Hi guys, for some odd reason I can't open/ dl the wordfiles that are in this section and due to country bases regulations I'm not allowed to watch any of the movieclips posted here as well.

So if somebody has a decent work out schedule for somebody that wants to regain his shape, please let me know.

Thnx

Chest, Sholders and Triceps do push ups.
Stomach do sit ups.
Biceps do curls with weights you are comfortable with.

Do 8 - 10 repetitions and 3 - 4 sets. You should be really struggling with the last repetition. Maintain correct form throughout the movement though as it works the muscles better and you're less likely to injure yourself.

Try not to work antagonistic muscles in the same workout (i.e. triceps and biceps).

When i'm in the gym i do three sets of 8-12 (i choose i weight i can do 8 with, just about, then when i get to being able to do 12, i move up a weight)

I have quite a bit of Lifting exp. being both a body builder and competative power lifter back in the US. When I got into Rugby at 34yrs old I was lost out trying to find a lifting program that fit the needs of rugby. Rugby tears at you in ways American Football can't prepare you for. This year I stumbled on to the ulitmate lifting routine for rugby. Its called Tabata (seen in Muscle Fitness June 2009) it is the absolute bomb.

In Tabata you build rock solid strong muscle and muscle endurance as well. Rugby players do not need big power but bulky muscle which has no enduance and has them dieing for a kick to go into touch so they can rest. Think of lifting like you would if you were packing for a trip overseas and can only have one bag to travel with. You need whats in the bag to serve dual purposes so that you get the most out of the space you have. Your muscles need to have power and endurance on equal levels not too much power nor too much enduance Tabaka will give you this mix.

With Tabata you do 8 20sec sets with 10sec rest. DO NOT LAUGH, I did and I was blowing so hard at the end I could not have cried for help if I had wanted to. With your 8/20sec sets dont cheat. Get a cheap $4 timer and when it beeps get your ass to work and till it beeps again and you will see the results the next day. I started the workout on a Monday and by the next Sat. I could feel the difference in the scrum. I was a baseball play too in the US and the wears of rugby had me not able to even through a ball baseball style, which scared the crap out of me because it was something I have been doing since I was 2. Now I am coming back around and have started to get the form back.

Okay here's a sample of Chest/Abs workout suggusted by Muscle Fitness so you get a feel for it:

Day 1 Chest/Abs Sets/Time Rest

Push-up (I use the perfect push-up) 8/20secs 10secs
Incline bench Press 8/20secs 10secs
Flat-Bench Dumbell Press 8/20secs 10secs
Cable Cross-Over(I use Dbl Flyes) 8/20secs 10secs

Reverse Crunch 8/20secs 10secs
Crunch 8/20secs 10secs

For Legs/Calves, Shoulders/Traps, and Back/Abs days use the same 4 Exercise/2 Exercise breakdown as with Chest/Abs. And then here a sure fire arms work-out.

Day 5 Triceps/Biceps/Forearms

Tricep Extensions 8/20secs 10secs
Pressdown " "
Kickbacks " "

Seated Dumbbell Curls " "
Preacher Curls " "
Hammer Curls " "

Wrist Curls " "
Reverse Wrist Curls " "

I started this workout thinking i would use it during the season and then switch to a power workout in the off season, but the results feel too good so I think I will only spend one month during the pre-season to shoot for power and then come right back to this workout to refine that power. Believe me i am getting all the power I need to play the front row with this workout, however I'll be 36 next year so I want to pack a little more mass just to offset the fact than I'm playing against players 10-15 years younger than me who have been all their lives while I've only been playing 2 years.

Try this workout and then in 4 weeks let me know what you think. I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Sweet mate, will give it a shot next week.
Have some knee problems this week.

Also I would like to apologize for teh late reply but at home I have some big issues being able to post on the forum.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scrumit2 @ Sep 17 2009, 05:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have quite a bit of Lifting exp. being both a body builder and competative power lifter back in the US. When I got into Rugby at 34yrs old I was lost out trying to find a lifting program that fit the needs of rugby. Rugby tears at you in ways American Football can't prepare you for. This year I stumbled on to the ulitmate lifting routine for rugby. Its called Tabata (seen in Muscle Fitness June 2009) it is the absolute bomb.

In Tabata you build rock solid strong muscle and muscle endurance as well. Rugby players do not need big power but bulky muscle which has no enduance and has them dieing for a kick to go into touch so they can rest. Think of lifting like you would if you were packing for a trip overseas and can only have one bag to travel with. You need whats in the bag to serve dual purposes so that you get the most out of the space you have. Your muscles need to have power and endurance on equal levels not too much power nor too much enduance Tabaka will give you this mix.

With Tabata you do 8 20sec sets with 10sec rest. DO NOT LAUGH, I did and I was blowing so hard at the end I could not have cried for help if I had wanted to. With your 8/20sec sets dont cheat. Get a cheap $4 timer and when it beeps get your ass to work and till it beeps again and you will see the results the next day. I started the workout on a Monday and by the next Sat. I could feel the difference in the scrum. I was a baseball play too in the US and the wears of rugby had me not able to even through a ball baseball style, which scared the crap out of me because it was something I have been doing since I was 2. Now I am coming back around and have started to get the form back.

Okay here's a sample of Chest/Abs workout suggusted by Muscle Fitness so you get a feel for it:

Day 1 Chest/Abs Sets/Time Rest

Push-up (I use the perfect push-up) 8/20secs 10secs
Incline bench Press 8/20secs 10secs
Flat-Bench Dumbell Press 8/20secs 10secs
Cable Cross-Over(I use Dbl Flyes) 8/20secs 10secs

Reverse Crunch 8/20secs 10secs
Crunch 8/20secs 10secs

For Legs/Calves, Shoulders/Traps, and Back/Abs days use the same 4 Exercise/2 Exercise breakdown as with Chest/Abs. And then here a sure fire arms work-out.

Day 5 Triceps/Biceps/Forearms

Tricep Extensions 8/20secs 10secs
Pressdown " "
Kickbacks " "

Seated Dumbbell Curls " "
Preacher Curls " "
Hammer Curls " "

Wrist Curls " "
Reverse Wrist Curls " "

I started this workout thinking i would use it during the season and then switch to a power workout in the off season, but the results feel too good so I think I will only spend one month during the pre-season to shoot for power and then come right back to this workout to refine that power. Believe me i am getting all the power I need to play the front row with this workout, however I'll be 36 next year so I want to pack a little more mass just to offset the fact than I'm playing against players 10-15 years younger than me who have been all their lives while I've only been playing 2 years.

Try this workout and then in 4 weeks let me know what you think. I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised.[/b]

What exercises do you do for days 2-4?

I just did a mix of day 1 and 5, so doing other excercices every day in combination with swimming and squash.
I felt really good after 3 weeks, completely broken as well.

But one of my colleagues infected me with her cold so for 1,5 weeks I wasn't able to sport and now I have to start from scratch.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (amobokobokoboko @ Oct 20 2009, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I just did a mix of day 1 and 5, so doing other excercices every day in combination with swimming and squash.
I felt really good after 3 weeks, completely broken as well.

But one of my colleagues infected me with her cold so for 1,5 weeks I wasn't able to sport and now I have to start from scratch.[/b]
What club in Belgium are you playing for?
Also, check out the workout posted in Universitas Rugbeia, it will definitely push you to your maximum potential:
http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50485

Mechelen Rugby Club asked me to join them, but owning to a new project that requires a lot of my spare time I wasn't able to touch a rugby ball yet.
As well as my condition is a bit below sealevel, I need to gain my old shape before starting playing so I can avoid stupid injuries.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (amobokobokoboko @ Oct 22 2009, 02:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Mechelen Rugby Club asked me to join them, but owning to a new project that requires a lot of my spare time I wasn't able to touch a rugby ball yet.
As well as my condition is a bit below sealevel, I need to gain my old shape before starting playing so I can avoid stupid injuries.[/b]
What city are you in? My family is in Waterloo/Bruxelles.
I, personally, would jump back in, regardless of your fitness. Work on your fitness outside of training, but get back to training and enjoying the sport.

I live in Leuven a 30-minute ride from Mechelen, 40 min ride from Waterloo/ Brussels.
Please don't get me wrong, I really would like to start playing again, but due to current circumstances it takes me 2 hours to go to work, 2 hours to get back. And Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evening are already fully booked (additional courses that I’m following). So because I hardly don’t have any time I just decided on enjoying sports whenever I have time for it.

So next season, king of the pitch.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (amobokobokoboko @ Oct 23 2009, 06:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I live in Leuven a 30-minute ride from Mechelen, 40 min ride from Waterloo/ Brussels.
Please don't get me wrong, I really would like to start playing again, but due to current circumstances it takes me 2 hours to go to work, 2 hours to get back. And Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evening are already fully booked (additional courses that I'm following). So because I hardly don't have any time I just decided on enjoying sports whenever I have time for it.

So next season, king of the pitch.[/b]
Gotcha. I love Lueven...been there several times...it's beautiful, even though it's Flemish...ha ha!
Just a joke.
Well, then there's always next season. Get into shape now, and hit the pitch hard next year. If I'm ever in Lueven, we can have a pint.

Glad you like Leuven and you're more then welcome for a beer and maybe some coaching tips :).

Strange you prefer the Fench speaking side of Belgium, I had the impression that most UK citizens aren't that keen on speaking French ;-)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (amobokobokoboko @ Oct 24 2009, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Glad you like Leuven and you're more then welcome for a beer and maybe some coaching tips :).

Strange you prefer the Fench speaking side of Belgium, I had the impression that most UK citizens aren't that keen on speaking French ;-)[/b]
I'm worse than UK, I'm US...ha ha, and most of us really, really hate speaking french...except me.
My wife grew up in Brussels, and is fluent in French, and when I lived there just after university I mostly only dealt with french-speakers. I've got nothing against the Netherlanders, nor the Flemmish...I just like to poke fun at them.
I'll definitely hold you to that beer.

Latest posts