• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Graham Henry steps down as All Blacks coach

According to this he wants a job in Europe:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/15535967.stm

I
f he wasn't taking a step back from Head-Coaching I'd have said Cardiff Blues, as they're still looking for a Head Coach, but as an Assistant, I don't know

Sean Edwards has left his role at Wasps....

They had the blues chairman on scrum V the other night, he coughed to going to his home and having dinner with him during the WC, but said at no point did they talk about the blues job.

It looks like Henry is getting some sort of Coach mentoring role with the NZRFU.

I would say the All Black coaches will need mentoring if it turns out to be Hansen and Foster (Foster hasn't won a dang thing in 8 seasons in charge at the Chiefs)

Foster?!!??!?!?!?!????? Really?!?!?!?!???

Foster?!!??!?!?!?!????? Really?!?!?!?!???

Agreed - although their don't seem to be a big list of other options.

IMO - Cotter. Plumtree. Gatland. In no particular order should've been first cabs off the rank as 'assistants' to Hansen, just due to international experience. (not soo much International Teams but overseas experience)

Then there's the rest including Overseas coaches. Although Jake White's commentary for Sky was impressive. Not too sure he would accept an Assistant's role.

Then daylight.

Then moonlight.

Then Foster.

I'd have tried to get John Mitchell back (certainly doing well for the Lions, and it's been a long time since 2003). Regardless, there is no coach in Super Rugby history, that has done so little with so much time. Foster really would be a stupid, stupid, stupid appointment. He's an average at best Super Rugby coach. The only person who'd be worse is Hammett.

Foster would be lucky . He hasn't earned it but then again some people make better assistant coaches than they make head coaches. I would like to see Cooper involved somehow. Apart from Hansen there are n credible options though. It sucks that we have so much playing depth but nowhere near as much coaching depth. NZRU need to work on that.

Although Jake White's commentary for Sky was impressive.

He knows Rugby way better than Stuart Barnes. Stuart brought up some good points but most of them didnt matter come game time lol. Jake however, was impressive with his comments, he had me listening.

Foster would be lucky . He hasn't earned it but then again some people make better assistant coaches than they make head coaches. I would like to see Cooper involved somehow. Apart from Hansen there are n credible options though. It sucks that we have so much playing depth but nowhere near as much coaching depth. NZRU need to work on that.

We have plenty of coaching depth, probably more than any other country. They are just all tempted off overseas.

Kirwan- Japan
Cotter-Clermont
Deans- Australia
Crowley-Canada
Gatland-Wales
Schmidt-Leinster
Brain-Portugal
Hart-Warriors
Mitchell-Lions
Sloane-Japan
Schuler-Japan
McDowell-Romaina
Plumtree-Sharks
Holland-Munster

etc etc. I would take any of those guys over Hammett, even before his self destruction

Maybe Graham Henry will smile more now??

He was a great Coach, I have the utmost respect for him...

I don't think John Mitchell, John Plumtree or even Carlos Spencer (lions backline Coach) will go back to NZ any time soon... they actually love the sunlight here in South Africa...

I guess its just a shame they can't go outside in it then Heineken, for fear of being mugged ;)

Mind you, Mitchell stayed at home, and that still happened to him!

I guess its just a shame they can't go outside in it then Heineken, for fear of being mugged ;)

Mind you, Mitchell stayed at home, and that still happened to him!

Hahaha, yeah well the Lions Stadium is in the middle of the most dangerous area in South Africa...

Yesterday John Mitchell said he's interested in the Bok job...

Hahaha, yeah well the Lions Stadium is in the middle of the most dangerous area in South Africa...

Yesterday John Mitchell said he's interested in the Bok job...

What do you reckon would be the reaction in SA if they gave it to a foreigner?
If they are going to give it to a foreigner, surely Plumtree has a better coaching pedigree though?

If they are going to give it to a foreigner, surely Plumtree has a better coaching pedigree though?

I dunno how the people will react, most will probably be outraged as South Africa has never had a foreign coach before, and would argue that why should we start now when we have equally good coaches who are SA citizens. there will be a big discussion about this if it does happen, which I doubt, as both Plumtree and Mitchell still have at least 2 years left on their contracts and nobody has mentioned an escape clause...

Looks like Steve Hensen has the job just need some Assistants to join him....

Head Coach:Steve Hensen
Assistant: Peter Russell
Assistant: Alama Ieremia

But hey that's just me,Hey Guys who would use have as your coaching staff???

If i was going to give the AB's Coach to a foreigner it would be Jack White or Eddie Jones and let him choose his Assistants.
This is Professional Sports....Best man for the job.Would South Africans moan if Eddie Jones won the next Rugby World Cup for Sth Africa???

If i was going to give the AB's Coach to a foreigner it would be Jack White or Eddie Jones and let him choose his Assistants.
This is Professional Sports....Best man for the job.Would South Africans moan if Eddie Jones won the next Rugby World Cup for Sth Africa???

No, because he helped us win the previous one with Jake White... But we won't appoint him...

Latest posts