• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gregan banned for one match

W

woosaah

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3661578a1823,00.html

Gregan banned for one match
08 May 2006 

Brumbies halfback George Gregan has been suspended for one Super 14 match due to a dangerous tackle against the Highlanders on Saturday.

The Australian veteran was suspended following a hearing by a three-man Sanzar panel for his tackle on Highlanders winger Richard Kahui.

Gregan's exemplary disciplinary record helped him escape a larger ban.

The one-match ban means Gregan will miss Friday's clash against the Crusaders in Christchurch.

He will be available to play in the semifinals, which the Brumbies are almost certain to make unless they lose heavily to the Crusaders and the Sharks or Bulls have huge wins.

[/b]

Well he is out for the crusaders match it will be that much harder. they only need 1 point to get in right?

Call for consistency after Gregan ban
09 May 2006 
By GREG GROWDEN
Sydney Morning Herald

Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie has criticised the SANZAR judicial system for being too inconsistent after Wallabies captain George Gregan was yesterday suspended for one week for a dangerous spear tackle.

McKenzie believed the Gregan suspension was too lenient when compared with the four-match ban his back-rower Rocky Elsom received for punching in a Super 14 match in South Africa earlier this season.

The short length of the Gregan suspension also surprised numerous Waratahs players when they were told at training of the SANZAR decision, following a hearing in Canberra yesterday. When informed of the one-week ban, several NSW players rolled their eyes in disbelief.

"I've given up trying to work out the machinations of the judiciary," McKenzie said. "It does set an interesting precedent for the second time we get a spear tackle of that calibre. All I'm looking for is consistency in the whole system.

"You have a situation where Rocky misses a third of the Super 14 season and jeopardises his selection opportunities. And he threw half a dozen punches, of which it is dubious if any of them connected. Then we couldn't get any change from the appeal process.

"As well, Matt Dunning gets a week's suspension for throwing two punches, while there have been incidents this year where players are getting knocked out, and no one is cited."

Last week, the Waratahs were disgruntled over the incorrect citing of Highlanders hooker Anton Oliver, after an incident where NSW prop Benn Robinson received head cuts in a ruck during the Dunedin match. Replays showed that All Blacks prop Carl Hayman was near the incident.

When asked what SANZAR had to do to improve the system, McKenzie said there had been a lot of talk on the subject, but nothing of substance had yet eventuated.

"We've been looking at it for the last two years, and I don't think it is getting any better," he said.

After the Canberra hearing, the judiciary said in a statement that a week's suspension was appropriate after taking into account Gregan's "exemplary and unblemished disciplinary record".

ACT, who need one bonus point against the Crusaders in the final round to ensure a semi-final berth, are in a precarious position as they will be without Gregan and Test five-eighth Stephen Larkham, while Wallabies centre Matt Giteau is also unlikely to play with a knee injury.

If ACT are thrashed by the Crusaders, and the Sharks enjoy a large win over the Force, the Brumbies will miss out on the finals, with the South African province taking their spot.

[/b]

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3662603a1823,00.html

05001515059300.jpg
OWN3D!!!

you think thats slack. what if i mention rua tupoki. ali williams.

Gregan should have gotten more than one week for that tackle. I guess the fact that he does have a really good record would have saved him from getting more.

And he does have a really good record - has he ever been called before the judiciary before? If he has I can't remember it.

SANZAR should crack down on this kind of tackling though - it is extremely dangerous and it needs to be taken out of the game.

I guess a mandatory one week suspension is the absolute minimum that any player should expect when they spear another player.

Originally posted by BigTen@May 9 2006, 05:38 PM
Gregan should have gotten more than one week for that tackle. I guess the fact that he does have a really good record would have saved him from getting more.

And he does have a really good record - has he ever been called before the judiciary before? If he has I can't remember it.

SANZAR should crack down on this kind of tackling though - it is extremely dangerous and it needs to be taken out of the game.

I guess a mandatory one week suspension is the absolute minimum that any player should expect when they spear another player.
I totally agree with you they need to crack down on these tackles someone is really going to get hurt and perhaps even end there career.

And i still think gregan should of got longer he might have a good record but that should not come into it he was stupid enough to make that tackle he should have to take the same punishment as everyone else would look at rua tupoki i think he got too long and all he did was throw an elbow in the tackle he didn't drop the guy on his head.

Candyman,

Yeah that is right. The potential to cause serious damage is pretty high. It isn't always particularly dirty and I must admit that I have been the guilty party involved in a couple of spear tackles. I used to get in too low and a tendency to drive and lift got me into trouble a little bit.

It was poor technique rather than dirty play, honest ref!

Punching someone in the back is dirty but hardly is likely to end someone's career.

But I would imagine that punching would cope a longer ban.

So what is worse - dirty play or careless play that is likely to end in causing serious harm to someone?

I still think that Gregan's one week ban is fair.

Michael Crocker of the Melbourne Storm (he plays in the NRL for those of you who dont know) is facing between 9 and 12 weeks for his slightly less serious spear tackle on the weekend.

I think its great to see a spear tackle every now and then. Like i always say..its alrite if it doesnt happen to me.

I agree that the one match ban is fair

Everyone knows that Gregan is not a dirty player and did not intentionally spear tackle Kahui, he lost control of the tackle half way and Giteau was partly to blame for the way he fell.

The Crocker tackle was different as he picked up a stationary player and had total control of the tackle.

Think about it, a SH wouldn't have the strength to do something like that intentionally. So when he did lift high, a poor bit of strength 'Cacked' the tackle.

BM

Originally posted by The TRUTH!!@May 10 2006, 03:47 AM

Everyone knows that Gregan is not a dirty player and did not intentionally spear tackle Kahui, he lost control of the tackle half way and Giteau was partly to blame for the way he fell.

Michael Crocker of the Melbourne Storm tackle was not as bad and he is looking at 9-12 weeks so why does gregan only get 1 week i don't think its fair everyone should be treat the same good record or not he made the mistake of making that tackle.
What i want to know how can you not intentionally spear tackle and drop them on there head you know what your doing when you pick them off the ground.

I think that the judicary system sucks as a previous forum member said

Where was the uproar when Masoe ended Tom Willis's Super 14 season a couple of weeks ago? He basically closed his eyes dropped his head and swung, the only comment I read was from Ian Foster and that was pretty much a no comment.
The real issue is with the judicial system as everyone I'm sure has realised, does anyone know how it works?

Gregan if playing league would definitly have performed some sort of miracle to only recieve one week, but with the way it works in Super 14 he should almost feel hard done by.

There really is no comparison with the Tipoki incident I feel, the guy basically admitted intent - citing his playing style. As Truth said Giteau was also involved in the tackle and must be partially to blame for the end result.

I find it funny how here in NZ we are so quick to point the finger at anyone beyond our shores, at least he misses the Crusaders game can't we just be happy at that.

Originally posted by rugbyballs@May 10 2006, 11:14 PM
Where was the uproar when Masoe ended Tom Willis's Super 14 season a couple of weeks ago?

I find it funny how here in NZ we are so quick to point the finger at anyone beyond our shores, at least he misses the Crusaders game can't we just be happy at that.
I agree with you rugbyballs Masoe should i of got something and that the judicery system for rugby really sucks its going to take some one to really get hurt before they will do anything about it

Latest posts