• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Guinness Pro 12 2014/15: Round 1

A lot were found wanting in Munster game. Deserved to loose but our attitude and the decision making on the field and up in the stands was desperate. Could be a shaky season.
One decision stands out. A minute or so into the second half, Munster are awarded a penalty 5 metres out and Edinburgh have a flanker sin binned. Coupled with their other flanker being in the bin, there's a golden opportunity to put the squeeze on in the scrum and earn a try. What do Munster do? Kick it to touch and negate that blindingly obvious advantage. That's not a coaching error, that's an error on the field.

As for the coaching, it's early days so I'll reserve judgement until there's a bigger sample size. What I found worrying is the lack of invention in the backs and aggression in the pack for the most part. There was no sign of the coaching staff putting their stamp on things with defined patterns of play. Perhaps we'll see this emerge once the top players return because on the evidence of tonight, a few of those on the field aren't up to it. I wonder was that in the leaked performance review!

Edinburgh looked limited but well drilled. Keep it up and they'll finish mid table.

One decision stands out. A minute or so into the second half, Munster are awarded a penalty 5 metres out and Edinburgh have a flanker sin binned. Coupled with their other flanker being in the bin, there's a golden opportunity to put the squeeze on in the scrum and earn a try. What do Munster do? Kick it to touch and negate that blindingly obvious advantage. That's not a coaching error, that's an error on the field.

As for the coaching, it's early days so I'll reserve judgement until there's a bigger sample size. What I found worrying is the lack of invention in the backs and aggression in the pack for the most part. There was no sign of the coaching staff putting their stamp on things with defined patterns of play. Perhaps we'll see this emerge once the top players return because on the evidence of tonight, a few of those on the field aren't up to it. I wonder was that in the leaked performance review!

Edinburgh looked limited but well drilled. Keep it up and they'll finish mid table.
my predictions exactly

yeah they sold alot off players for this season especially they're only good players like Di Bernardo, Berquist, De Marchi, McLean etc. and bought no-one who has the spark they dont look good at all atm i can only see them go down atm

Camagnaro looked lively when he had a bit of space to work with, so I suppose that's still a bright point for them. Didn't think Joe Carlisle was too bad either at 10.

In fairness Snoop Edinburgh were let off with being offside by Hodges who was awful for both teams. And reason I presume we didn't scrum is it was awful all night. Even our mauls didn't seem to make yards. But certainly I agree there's a few not up to it at this level and I hope an email is sent with the attachment this week letting them know how bad that was. I know it's early but there was no heart or drive and as you pointed out very little creativity. Just pick, go, pass and crash it up.

Regards Edinburgh. Solomons is good coach and will always prepare teams good.

If Munster didn't trust their 8 man scrum against 6 men, it's very worrying.

On another note, while you can't read a huge amount into pre-season, Munster lost by 40 points against Gloucester. The same Gloucester lost by 50 points in their season opener against Northampton.

Looking at the Munster positives, CJ Stander looked explosive, Shane Buckley didn't look out of place (is that a backhanded compliment?), Simon Zebo looked hungry for work and committed himself to rucks and Ian Keatley stood noticeably flat as first receiver which implies they're going to attack the gainline rather than stand too deep.

For Edinburgh, I was impressed with Dougie Fife's willingness to attack with purpose every time he got the ball.

If Munster didn't trust their 8 man scrum against 6 men, it's very worrying.

On another note, while you can't read a huge amount into pre-season, Munster lost by 40 points against Gloucester. The same Gloucester lost by 50 points in their season opener against Northampton.

Looking at the Munster positives, CJ Stander looked explosive, Shane Buckley didn't look out of place (is that a backhanded compliment?), Simon Zebo looked hungry for work and committed himself to rucks and Ian Keatley stood noticeably flat as first receiver which implies they're going to attack the gainline rather than stand too deep.

For Edinburgh, I was impressed with Dougie Fife's willingness to attack with purpose every time he got the ball.

Yes it is worrying but there was very little trust in front row. CJ was awesome and Buckley did well and made his tackles. Zebo was all over place and always willing but centres at start were poor. Dineen came in and did well and TOD was superb in his cameo regards Gloucester game though they'd there strongest team out while we had a team weaker than last night out spit not fair to compare that way.

Peter Fitzgibbon 56 games 57 yellows issued. Speaks volumes about him.

EDIT: People saying you need wingers to score tries...**** that let the locks do it.

I think I love Stuart Olding.

Last edited:
Looks like Olding still has his step! Great game so far, absolute **** poor turn out in the stands though. Certainly doesn't look good for potential new viewers.

How the hell was there a gap there? I love Olding.

I don't love trying to run it out off the 22.

A lot of knock ons and turn overs. Early season rust still there after warm up matches clearly

Quite a bit of Scarlets pressure and territory results in a good finish for No.8 Pitman. 17-12 to Scarlets. Both sides making handling errors and a few silly mistakes.

Stuart Olding....

That was a try.

Last edited:
Jesus shatting christ. That's a try, Fitzgibbon is an idiot.

Three incredibly pedantic and wrong interventions by the ref in a row. Urgh.

I wish Peter Fitzgibbon was from Leinster. He couldn't ruin Leinster games by reffing them in that case!

Ditto, such a complete and utter gob****e.

EDIT: Jumping the gun very early here but if Olding really is seemingly even pushing on from the level he was at he has to be involved come November.

Last edited:
"Celtic League last season" ... got to love Sky

Latest posts