• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Guinness Pro 12 2014/15: Round 1

Well... that was a bit of a mistake...

Scarlets probably deserve that lead; they should have a bigger one considering the chances they've had, but there we go. If Ulster could just keep hold of the ball for a while, they'd some damage, but what can you do?

I'd haul iHumph off, move Olding to 10 and bring Marshall on pretty soon. We just can't afford a guy who can't tackle.

Great work from Jake Ball and, with a Jean De Villers moment, intercepts a pass in channel 1, leading to a break away try for Gareth Davies.

Scarlets seem to be getting the penalties at the scrum at the moment and have an effective line out. It's starving Ulster of possession and limiting their opportunities. When Ulster have possession they look very dangerous in attack, very unlucky not to be awarded that try. The obstruction given was the one over on the touchline with Preistland, not the one in the middle, but it was still harsh!

How the **** can you get something so wrong when you have a TMO. This should not be a 9 point gap. Embarrassing referring..

I'm so glad Robson got closure on the existential 'Can they find a quickie?' question he was pondering so deeply.

Luke Marshall on now to partner Stuart Olding in midfield. That's Ireland's centre partnership for the next 10 years.

Fitzgibbon makes watching rugby a chore. Neither side will be that happy with him really. I suppose that's consistency of a sort.

Incredibly short penalty advantage from the Williams offence.

Great Try. Owen did well to turn Olding inside out. Olding has been having a great game as well.

That's that then. Fair play to the Scarlets.

Just too sloppy by Ulster. It might seem kneejerk, but I'm pretty much done with iHumph already. A fly-half who can't tackle should always be last in the box unless he's Quade Cooper, and Olding can play ten, so that's our option.

That's that then. Fair play to the Scarlets.

Just too sloppy by Ulster. It might seem kneejerk, but I'm pretty much done with iHumph already. A fly-half who can't tackle should always be last in the box unless he's Quade Cooper, and Olding can play ten, so that's our option.

Hold on to your hat Peat. Ulster with possession look very dangerous in a game where the defensive systems of both sides looks rusty after one or two phases.

Liam Williams is a clown, just proven it here today. Can produce some good skills but ultimately leaves with pie on his face ... regularly.

Liam Williams is a clown, just proven it here today. Can produce some good skills but ultimately leaves with pie on his face ... regularly.

2nd game in a row his cynical/foul play has cost his team victory

Thought that was an entertaining game of rugby for the Pro 12. Yes there were errors, from both teams and the ref, but the intensity was quite high and there were some great attacking moves from both sides. Nick Williams made a massive impact in that last quarter.

I'd like to see what Liam Williams did again. But, this isn't the first time he has committed a clear and professional infringement and has hurt his team. He loses his head far too quickly and it reflects on the team he represents. In the video of him in the changing rooms afterwards he was clearly gutted, but he got to cut this out of his game.

Hold on to your hat Peat. Ulster with possession look very dangerous in a game where the defensive systems of both sides looks rusty after one or two phases.

I actually missed the Ludik try having turned off in disgust :lol:

Glad I turned on for the ending.

Re your rep comment - Yes it's a difficult job as a ref and we fans should be forgiving. But equally we should be demanding. If this sport is to grow, it needs to improve the standard of reffing imo. It needs to be consistent from ref to ref and it needs to encourage teams to entertain. In an ideal world, Fitzgibbon would not be an elite ref.

Probably the case.

Was a enjoyable game for the neutral. The coaches though not so much.

Plenty of positives though too. I think both sides would have taken 3 points from that match prior to it, although the Scarlets coaches must be screaming with rage at giving away that lead.

Last edited:
Re your rep comment - Yes it's a difficult job as a ref and we fans should be forgiving. But equally we should be demanding. If this sport is to grow, it needs to improve the standard of reffing imo. It needs to be consistent from ref to ref and it needs to encourage teams to entertain. In an ideal world, Fitzgibbon would not be an elite ref.

Fair! I agree and appreciate that completely.

I don't forgive referees, I just accept that there is human error and interpretation in this grey rule book. Often the systems there to help the referee aren't perfect either. For example, I feel if a referee asks for the input of a video ref, then that video referee should have the final decision. Otherwise you have this unsuccessful exchange that we saw today and he up making a questionable decision. So much confusion though trouble with hearing one another and then interpretation between the two refs etc.

I think for me, in an ideal world, we would be making Fitzgibbon a better ref, echoing your sentiment!

Could be bad weekend for Irish sides. Leinster have a tough game now and then the Baby Blacks vs Dragons is tricky too