Guinness Pro 12 2016/17: Round 1

Leonormous Boozer

Fat Boi
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
We're here, we're sponsored by beer, drink us in... I apologise for the bad start to the new season and vow to be better henceforth.

Friday 2 Sep, 19:35

Leinster v Treviso
Ospreys v Zebre
Ulster v Dragons

Saturday 3 Sep

15:00 - Scarlets v Munster
17:15 - Connacht v Glasgow
19:35 - Cardiff v Edinburgh

Champions Elect, O's, Ulster, Scarlets, Glasgow and Cardiff is my guess, I can't wait until I can start forming narratives, my writing struggles greatly without it!

Hopefully the regions can get off to a good start.

Ospreys have Ashley Beck back fit, who should really bolster their midfield which was severely lacking last season. Obviously good to see Tipuric back fit as well.

Scarlets have really improved their backline by bringing Jon Davies back, and recruiting Patchell & McNicholl. It's a potentially devastating backline of 9. Davies, 10. Patchell, 11. McNicholl (when he arrives anyway), 12. Scott Williams, 13. Jon Davies, 14. van der Merwe, 15. Liam Williams. As ever they are short a burly lock & strong carrying backrower, so quality of ball delivered to the backline could be key.

Blues have recruited quite well too. It'll be a little while before Haloholo joins up with the Cardiff based region, but it'll be interesting to see how Matthew Morgan goes. Keeping Anscombe fit might be key though, because Shingler didn't fill me with confidence last season. Danny Wilson looks to be really building something exciting and sustainable at the Arms Park which will hopefully translate into wins this season.

Dragons are always tough to judge. The key will be whether they can transform all those losing bonus points into some wins. Losing Faletau will be tough to take, but Keddie could soften the blow.

The BBC are actually showing the Cardiff vs Edinburgh game up here, in English! Wonders never cease. And I can see the Welsh Scrum V Friday night game as ever on the red button and Scrum V Sunday on the iplayer.

Not a great first round of fixtures with the home team finishing higher than the away team last season in every fixture (seriously, who came up with that idea to try and manufacture one sided results?). Glasgow are the only away team with much chance in the tie of the round and hopefully the increased capacity at Connacht sees a sellout. As ever I'll be cheering on the Italian sides plus Edinburgh so I'll be keeping the champagne on ice this weekend.

I predict the top 4 to be Leinster, Glasgow, Ulster and Connacht. In what order I don't know but I think Leinster will top it at the end of the season. Dragons to finish bottom.

Fridays matches look one sided but Saturdays look very competitive. It could be 3 away wins on sat.

Hopefully the regions can get off to a good start.

Ospreys have Ashley Beck back fit, who should really bolster their midfield which was severely lacking last season. Obviously good to see Tipuric back fit as well.

Scarlets have really improved their backline by bringing Jon Davies back, and recruiting Patchell & McNicholl. It's a potentially devastating backline of 9. Davies, 10. Patchell, 11. McNicholl (when he arrives anyway), 12. Scott Williams, 13. Jon Davies, 14. van der Merwe, 15. Liam Williams. As ever they are short a burly lock & strong carrying backrower, so quality of ball delivered to the backline could be key.

Blues have recruited quite well too. It'll be a little while before Haloholo joins up with the Cardiff based region, but it'll be interesting to see how Matthew Morgan goes. Keeping Anscombe fit might be key though, because Shingler didn't fill me with confidence last season. Danny Wilson looks to be really building something exciting and sustainable at the Arms Park which will hopefully translate into wins this season.

Dragons are always tough to judge. The key will be whether they can transform all those losing bonus points into some wins. Losing Faletau will be tough to take, but Keddie could soften the blow.

The Blues, Ospreys and Scarlets are looking stronger on paper this season. Hoping for a good season this year that breeds a little more competition in the national squad. Looking forward to seeing Willis Halaholo arrive a little later on (his partnership with Anscombe is potentially pretty exciting), and Matthew Morgan should be great to watch. The Blues were massively improved by the end of last season and our new signings should boost us in the right areas.

LEINSTER (caps in brackets):

15. Rob Kearney (176)
14. Zane Kirchner (65)
13. Garry Ringrose (22)
12. Noel Reid (59)
11. Fergus McFadden (142)
10. Joey Carbery (1)
9. Luke McGrath CAPTAIN (50)
1. Cian Healy (153)
2. Bryan Byrne (12)
3. Michael Bent (63)
4. Ross Molony (23)
5. Mike McCarthy (63)
6. Dominic Ryan (104)
7. Josh van der Flier (24)
8. Dan Leavy (13)

16. James Tracy (16)
17. Andrew Porter (0)
18. Mike Ross (135)
19. Hayden Triggs (15)
20. Jordi Murphy (80)
21. Jamison Gibson-Park (0)
22. Cathal Marsh (14)
23. Rory O'Loughlin (0)

Very progressive selection for Leinster. Joey Carbery has a chance to stake his claim as Johnny Sexton's heir. Carbery took a huge step forward in an impressive AIL campaign last year. Luke McGrath has been given a lot of responsibility both in captaining the team and guiding his young flyhalf through the game. After an injury ravaged 2015/16 campaign, Bryan Byrne is given the start ahead of James Tracy who was for my money a real positive from last season. Ross Molony can build on the promise he showed in the second half of last year. Dan Leavy is an intriguing call at 8 ahead of Jordi Murphy. Andrew Porter, Jamison Gibson-Park and Rory O'Loughlin are all primed to debut off the bench. Porter was outstanding in the U20 World Cup while O'Loughlin seems to have had a strong pre-season.

Dragons team vs Ulster
15 Carl Meyer, 14 Adam Warren, 13 Sam Beard, 12 Jack Dixon, 11 Pat Howard, 10 Nick Macleod, 9 Sarel Pretorius; 1 Sam Hobbs, 2 Thomas Rhys Thomas ©, 3 Craig Mitchell 4 Cory Hill, 5 Rynard Landman, 6 Ollie Griffiths, 7 Nic Cudd, 8 Ed Jackson.

Replacements; Rhys Buckley, Tom Davies, Lloyd Fairbrother, Nick Crosswell, Lewis Evans, Charlie Davies, Angus O'Brien, Tyler Morgan.

Ulster team

Ulster team and replacements to play Newport Gwent Dragons, Friday 2nd September, Kingspan Stadium (kick-off 7.35pm):
(15-9): C Piutau; C Gilroy, S Olding, S McCloskey, J Stockdale; B Herron, R Pienaar;
(1-8): C Black, R Herring (captain), R Kane, P Browne, F van der Merwe, C Ross, S Reidy, R Wilson;
Replacements (16-23): J Andrew, K McCall, A Warwick, A O'Connor, R Diack, P Marshall, S Windsor, R Lyttle.

Two fledgling out halves starting this week for Ulster and Leinster. Ulster's scary amount of back talent is almost as scary as how light they are in the pack. Long season ahead. Injuries will happen. Hope for their sake some players step up because if given the effort up front I'd love to watch them play some lovely rugby.
Few exciting players in Leinster's line up as well. No reason Porter can't be huge this year. Has the size, power and pedigree. Just hope he tweaks the scrummaging a bit because he's been liable to boring in the past.
Expect a lot of fresh faces like Goggin in Munster's line up too.

Ulster team

Ulster team and replacements to play Newport Gwent Dragons, Friday 2nd September, Kingspan Stadium (kick-off 7.35pm):
(15-9): C Piutau; C Gilroy, S Olding, S McCloskey, J Stockdale; B Herron, R Pienaar;
(1-8): C Black, R Herring (captain), R Kane, P Browne, F van der Merwe, C Ross, S Reidy, R Wilson;
Replacements (16-23): J Andrew, K McCall, A Warwick, A O'Connor, R Diack, P Marshall, S Windsor, R Lyttle.
What do you know about Ross Kane? Is he much use? You'd assume that Anton Peikrishvili will be the starter but Kane could still see a lot of game time while Wiehann Herbst and Ricky Lutton are out.

Next to nothing. Was on the Methody cup winning team of a couple of years back, but playing loosehead - think BG8 might have even scrummaged against him, him or Lagan, someone ask him please. Looked solid against Saints in pre-season. Big enough lad. That's about all I know.

Its a bit perplexing that the Georgian and Ah You Really That Heavy aren't involved at all in this, but I hope Kiss has some balls and back Kane as long as the going's good. Pushing lads like himself at every opportunity is the only way Ulster make it out of pack hell. To pick up the theme of the other thread, if Ulster cut Black, Diack and Ross, it would only be to the good of Irish rugby. Not sure it would even bother Ulster all that much either truth told.

Welsh lads - what are Dixon/MacLeod like for defence? I'm thinking that, forward battle depending, Dragons are in for a very long couple of hours if they can't stop McCloskey from breaking the gain line.

Next to nothing. Was on the Methody cup winning team of a couple of years back, but playing loosehead - think BG8 might have even scrummaged against him, him or Lagan, someone ask him please. Looked solid against Saints in pre-season. Big enough lad. That's about all I know.

Its a bit perplexing that the Georgian and Ah You Really That Heavy aren't involved at all in this, but I hope Kiss has some balls and back Kane as long as the going's good. Pushing lads like himself at every opportunity is the only way Ulster make it out of pack hell. To pick up the theme of the other thread, if Ulster cut Black, Diack and Ross, it would only be to the good of Irish rugby. Not sure it would even bother Ulster all that much either truth told.

Welsh lads - what are Dixon/MacLeod like for defence? I'm thinking that, forward battle depending, Dragons are in for a very long couple of hours if they can't stop McCloskey from breaking the gain line.
The Georgian will only be used if really needed I'd imagine according to IRFU policy. Was the same when we had Sagario last year and probably applies to all NIQ injury jokers.

Haven't seen it reported but I believe Ah You took a bang to the head last week and has to sit out this one. I'd imagine the Georgian having only arrived in the last couple of days might have been a bit short notice.

Put Herbst, Best, O'Connor, Henderson, Henry and Coetzee (when fit) into the team and it's a different looking pack. Ah You has looked good so far in pre-season - long may it continue. It's also scary that we have that backline while missing Jackson, Trimble, Bowe, Payne, Ludik, Marshall and Cave. Serious strength in depth.

[h=3]Connacht (v Glasgow Warriors)[/h]15 Cian Kelleher
14 Niyi Adeolokun
13 Eoin Griffin
12 Bundee Aki
11 Matt Healy
10 Jack Carty
9 Caolin Blade

1 Denis Buckley
2 Tom McCartney
3 Finlay Bealham
4 Ultan Dillane
5 Danny Qualter
6 Eoin McKeon
7 Nepia Fox-Matamua
8 John Muldoon (captain)

Replacements:
16 Dave Heffernan
17 Ronan Loughney
18 JP Cooney
19 Lewis Stevenson
20 James Connolly
21 Kieran Marmion
22 Shane O'Leary
23 Peter Robb

Big start for Kelleher. Think his decision to move may have been wise. Think he'll see plenty of game time if he develops.

[h=3]Munster (v Scarlets)[/h]15. Simon Zebo
14. Darren Sweetnam
13. Dan Goggin
12. Rory Scannell
11. Ronan O'Mahony
10. Tyler Bleyendaal
9. Duncan Williams

1. James Cronin
2. Niall Scannell
3. John Ryan
4. Dave Foley
5. Billy Holland (c)
6. Dave O'Callaghan
7. Tommy O'Donnell
8. Jack O'Donoghue

Replacements:
16. Kevin O'Byrne
17. Dave Kilcoyne
18. Brian Scott
19. Jean Kleyn
20. Donnacha Ryan
21. Tomás O'Leary
22. Ian Keatley
23. Cian Bohane

Team I expected. Hope Goggin goes really well. In an ideal world he'll oust Saili as we'll be losing him at the end of the year anyway. 19 of 23 are academy men. Pretty homegrown and untested team, but they'll probably have to do the business this year what with a few call ups and injuries. More power to them. Wouldn't expect a win, as there's a really strong Scarlets team out, but an good attacking performance from our young guns, and an indication they can do it at this level would make me happy.

Zebo at full back is still a thing then?
Well having basically nobody who's played the position before sure is still a thing. Would like to see Conway the regular starter with Earls and Zebo on the wing, with Sweetnam taking lots of reps as well.

Banners saying 'D4 Ruaned Ulster' and 'Ruan to go, Ulster says no' on show at Ravenhill. Well dunno about the first one but they're right to protest

well i think this game is already over... what is up with leinster's hair?

well i think this game is already over... what is up with leinster's hair?
Doing Shave or Dye in honour of Kurt McQuilkin's family.

- - - Updated - - -

Jesus Ulster down 8-0 against the Dragons, playing crap. Gilroy is injured already having made a crap tackle attempt and now McCloskey looks a bit hurt.

- - - Updated - - -

Class try from Carberry while Leinster are otherwise getting physically manhandled

Latest posts