• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Guinness Pro 12 2016/17: Round 1

Try bonus point, job done providing most of those guys are able to show up next week.

Nasty tackle was that from Wilson. Could have been a severe injury.

Impressive result for Munster. I was a fully signed up member of the Scarlets hype-train and am left scratching my head at the apparent ease of that result.

Treviso seemed to do okay against what I assume was a far from full strength Leinster? Worrying to see Tomasso Allan's goal kicking isn't progressing as much as I'd like.

Zebre were worse than I was hoping for, although should have had a second try barring shooting themself in the foot. I've previously grumbled that Italian rugby had managed to move one Italian international fullback from Zebre (Odiete) to Treviso, who now had two (him and McLean). The result was shown in the first game of the season when Zebre spent the last 25+ mins with their scrum-half at fullback. Their new Kiwi recruit at fullback seemed to have no motivation and was being unnecessarily physical and overall, morale seemed low almost from the kickoff. If Conor O'Shea had any doubts about the size of his task he doesn't now.

Connacht vs Glasgow developing into a third consecutive cracker. I take it Tiernan O'Halloran is injured? Was looking forward to seeing him in action.

Connacht's 2015/2016 will probably be counted as a wonder of the ancient world if this keeps up. I've seen overweight, gentle elderly labradors slower to roll over.

Well we got a great win but we only getting started. Rassie has put great plan together. No we won't hammer everyone and be winning every game but we will be better and more competitive than many expect. Tyler showed great class too so hopefully he can stay fit.

Glasgow currently giving the champions a masterclass in Galway.

Hogg, Pyrgos & J Gray all outstanding.

Said this already and stick to it. Connacht will finish 6th at best.
Hard to redo last season, weaker squad, teams know them more now, tougher european games and opposition teams have improved

Slightly ominous to think that this is Glasgow without Finn Russell. Horne again showing that even though its not his preferred position, he's probably not a bad backup at fly-half for Scotland (given the dearth of options). I wish he'd somehow made the journey east along the M8 rather than Weir.

Connacht had a nightmare that can't be explained by just losing a few players, all a bit mystifying. Thats the sort of performance you don't just bounce back from in a week and it'll have sown the seeds of doubt in a few minds I think.

Fantastic from Glasgow! Great result and still got Russell to come back and add some extra sparkle :)

Connacht no real preseason. Had one game in early august then both Bristol and Narbonne pulled out of the scheduled preseason games. So the Glasgow match was their second match since last seasons final.

After their performances last season I wouldn't write them off.

I think the preseason point for Connacht is a very good one to explain the inexplicable. They were okay in the first half but just died in the second half. Speaking of which; Edinburgh :(

It was an all new back line that must be given time before we judge them but they were very disjointed against the Blues that rested a lot of their top stars but still dominated. Early signs are Edinburgh will regress to a more distant 9th. Treviso might even have a chance of 9th if Edinburgh don't improve.

Comical rain shower in the second half and a great advert for artificial pitches as some degree of standard of play was maintained.

There were signs that Leinster wish to play a more expansive game this season than they have done for a few years. Plenty of attempted offloads and keeping the ball moving was on show. Execution was quite poor though. Hugely impressed with Joey Carbery's attacking ability.

I think the preseason point for Connacht is a very good one to explain the inexplicable. They were okay in the first half but just died in the second half. Speaking of which; Edinburgh :(

It was an all new back line that must be given time before we judge them but they were very disjointed against the Blues that rested a lot of their top stars but still dominated. Early signs are Edinburgh will regress to a more distant 9th. Treviso might even have a chance of 9th if Edinburgh don't improve.

Comical rain shower in the second half and a great advert for artificial pitches as some degree of standard of play was maintained.

I was really disappointed with Edinburgh's approach to the game. They spent a lot of time what I will call 'time wasting' by practically crawling to set pieces and seemed more intent in getting into an arm wrestle than playing much running rugby. They'll need to improve massively and I only hope that they change their tactics.

Happy with that start for Cardiff, considering the awful conditions. Plenty of good performances and I think Steve Shingler is going to be a really decent signing for Cardiff. Has looked really sharp in the last two games. Hoping Nick Williams can stay fit too, really happy to have him aboard.

Looking forward to a much sterner test against Munster next week.

Await with interest seeing Warriors on the new artificial surface at Scotstoun ! Impressive display by their " dirt trackers " against Canada A squad at Stirling last week - lot of talent waiting to come through .

If Edinburgh were a football club then their coach Solomon would be lucky to last beyond mid-season. He's got a good pedigree but I suspect he has never coached an expansive, back line orientated team in his life and so may not be what is required for Edinburgh. I'm a little ageist but I really don't think hiring a new coach when they are over 60 is wise, regardless of their pedigree. I struggle to think of examples where that has worked in any sport (whereas if the coach stays with the same club from their fifties into their sixties they can continue to have success). Would be funny if Vern Cotter ended up at Edinburgh for 2017.

Blues impressed me. Solid across the park and the lad Anscombe completely took the game over when he came on. I had Blues or Ospreys down as a good shout for fourth and nothing I saw in the first week changes that (although I did also tip Scarlets for a top 4 and that hasn't gone well so far!).

Really looking forward to this weekends fixtures. Each one near impossible to call (even Treviso hosting Ulster could spring a surprise).

http://www.pro12rugby.com/2016/09/08/peter-jackson-six-clues-guinness-pro12-round-1-2/

The organisers missed a trick in not making the opening weekend like this (even though Munster and Glasgow made it less predictable than I thought). Alternatively, I think they should have tried to kick off the new season with a Judgement day weekend etc to start with a bang and try to build momentum with crowds.

Not sure if I'll be able to make a round two thread, don't have access to the web on my laptop here in France yet. If anyone could bang one up for me I'd be forever grateful! Xx

Not sure if I'll be able to make a round two thread, don't have access to the web on my laptop here in France yet. If anyone could bang one up for me I'd be forever grateful! Xx

I'd use #LameExcuses, but you might not get it without the interwebz on your laptop

So instead, if An Post aren't striking...

101 Rue de LameExcuses
LaissezFaireAttitude
via D4
France

Latest posts