• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Guinness Pro 12 2016/17: Round 2

Slow starts for the Irish. Outcome ?

Connacht look as if they will have a horrendous season The loss of players and the fact that will not have the advantage of last season with other teams having to loose players to their National squads looks as if it could come tough . Ulster went to Treviso and failed to gather the bonus and ran up two yellow cards .Munster and Leinster lost . What now ? Cardiff look the Welsh hopes whilst Glasgow , especially on their home turf , will be very difficult to overcome . Embra suffer from playing in a soul less cauldron that is Murrayfield . The quicker they move down the road the better ! Basically a good team who under achieve . Interesting times ahead !

Connacht look as if they will have a horrendous season The loss of players and the fact that will not have the advantage of last season with other teams having to loose players to their National squads looks as if it could come tough . Ulster went to Treviso and failed to gather the bonus and ran up two yellow cards .Munster and Leinster lost . What now ? Cardiff look the Welsh hopes whilst Glasgow , especially on their home turf , will be very difficult to overcome . Embra suffer from playing in a soul less cauldron that is Murrayfield . The quicker they move down the road the better ! Basically a good team who under achieve . Interesting times ahead !
It's standard enough for the provinces, especially Leinster and Munster, start slowly. I'm reasonably happy with Leinster's two games, very rusty round 1 and the better team for 55minutes yesterday despite being down McGrath, both international hookers, Ross and Furlong, Toner, SOB, Heaslip, Ruddock, Sexton, Henshaw and Nacewa off the top of my head isn't too bad. Not getting points at Scotstoun won't kill anyone's season so I'm still predicting us to top the league and reach the final. The Welsh are looking nifty but always tend to fade once Europe becomes a focus and with, seemingly, some improvement to Edinburgh too I can see them and Cardiff taking Connacht's and Scarlet's top 6 spots from last year. I'd still predict three Provinces and Glasgow in the playoffs if Munster can string wins together in December, January and February and then post 6nations when the provinces tend to be at their strongest.

Leinster, Glasgow and Ulster are dead certs for the playoffs in my opinion and Munster, Cardiff and potentially Edinburgh and the O's are battling for the lost spot.

I'd broadly agree with TAB and add that slow starts and strong finishes are far from unknown in this league. If you can even say its a slow start after two games.

Also, only three sides got a TBP at Treviso last season.

Balaanced opinion

Cannot disagree . Welsh teams are the unpredictable as they blow hot and cold as their best players seem over keen to loup Offa's dyke !

My preseason prediction was as follows.

1. Leinster
2. Glasgow
3. Ulster
4. Connacht
5. Scarlets
6. Munster
7. Ospreys
8. Blues
9. Edinburgh
10. Treviso
11. Zebra
12. Dragons

Some of those look wildly off now lol but I did say its going to be very unpredictable.

I still fancy Connacht to come good. They've a massive injury list and the preseason was a shambles (not their fault).

Treviso will be the surprise team.

Dragons to finish bottom. Theyre 16/1 so get your money on!

Last edited:
Difficult to read too much into last season from the Welsh regions point of view. Blues were in full re-build mode, and the O's has too many key injuries + a dreadful start to the season. Scarlets too had a great start of the season, which papered over the dreadful second half, and allowed them a top 6 finish.

This season looks very different from the Blues and O's perspective. Wilson has gotten the Blues playing some great stuff. Really organised, but with some great ball in hand stuff. Barring loads of injuries, or a massive dip in form, they'll be gunning for a top 4 spot, let alone a top 6. This is the trust I place in Danny Wilson, as he's a coach of the highest order imo. Halaholo to come in yet as well, and the Blues style of play should really suit him.

Ospreys are historically a top 4 team, with last season being the exception. They never recovered from their shocking early season form, and really struggled in the midfield without the likes of Beck. With a good start, I think the O's will also make the top 4.

Glasgow will make the top 4 as well, so imo this year we'll only see one Irish province there, either Ulster of Leinster. In the first 2 games, I've not been particularly impressed with Muster. Well beaten in terms of possession and territory v Scarlets (Scarlets are incapable of doing anything with it atm though), and but for one of two players and a lucky try v Blues, they were distinctly second best overall there too. Their tactics appear to be kick, kick and more kick + Stander carrying (great player btw). Unless they can add some more strings to their bow, I can see them struggling.

Connacht I think will continue to struggle. They've lost a few too many key players, and I think the other teams will be better this season without disruption of WC.

I'm hoping the Scarlets will come good. That backline should be too good to keep quiet for too long + their forward pack is half decent on paper (especially what Rob Evans + Samson Lee return). Their coaches should be taking some flak imo, because there doesn't seem to be much structure or game plan with ball in hand. I think overall they'll struggle this season. They may end up battling for 6th spot if they can get things sorted, but after the first 2 games, I'm not too sure at all.

Last edited:
I think Munster will miss out in the top 4. Johnny Holland's forced retirement effectively means Munster will finish with a lot less points this season. And it's also a season of rebuilding.

Squad size will play a big role as the season unfolds.

My previous season prediction was as follows.

That should read preseason. Spellcheck strikes again.

Latest posts