• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Guinness Pro 12 2016/17: Round 8

Friday

Benetton Treviso v Cardiff Blues, Stadio Monigo, kick-off: 8.15pm (looks like 1910hrs GMT - streaming at http://www.therugbychannel.it/ )
Edinburgh v Ulster, BT Murrayfield, kick-off: 7.35pm
Munster v Ospreys, Irish Independent Park, kick-off: 7.35pm
Newport Gwent Dragons v Connacht, Rodney Parade, kick-off: 7.15pm

Saturday

Zebre v Leinster, Stadio Sergio Lanfranchi, kick-off: 5.05pm
Scarlets v Glasgow Warriors, Parc y Scarlets, kick-off: 7.35pm

http://www.pro12rugby.com/2016/11/04/peter-jackson-six-clues-guinness-pro12-round-8/

Last edited:
Harder to predict as we reach the international window but I'd imagine that teams from Scotland and Italy will suffer most as they only have two clubs in their country whereas Welsh and Irish internationals are spread over four teams. Leinster might suffer more also and Connacht & Dragons might get off lightly?

Friday

Benetton Treviso v Cardiff Blues - confused by what is going on with the Blues. When I saw them against Munster they looked really well coached, their personnel seemed strong but they have hit a real dip in form. Loads of Treviso starters on the bench in advance of international duty so it won't be four losses in a row for Cardiff. Blues by 14-16

Edinburgh v Ulster - Edinburgh possibly the most unpredictable team in the league and signs of life in their backline since Hodge has taken over as coach so they might actually score a try or two (particularly with Kinghorn at fullback). Ulster not looking like the world beaters of the early weeks but hard to see Edinburgh bouncing back that strongly from a home defeat to Zebre. Ulster by 4-6

Munster v Ospreys - Munster holding up admirably in difficult circumstances. Ospreys with Matavesi at 10 (due to absence of Davies and Biggar) probably kills their chances. Munster by 6-8

Newport Gwent Dragons v Connacht - very confused by Connacht vs Leinster. They looked like world beaters for the first 15mins, then lost all impact upfront and were slowly throttled to death with their backs given no front foot opportunities. I think they are getting towards 90% of their form last season though, so should have enough here given they haven't lost too many internationals. Dragons are a little underestimated, but still. Connacht by 6-8

Saturday

Zebre v Leinster - Zebre have a couple of good internationals up front injured, otherwise I might have picked a crazy upset here given Leinster are missing 14 internationals (and their two main fly-half options). Zebre have to aspire to getting a losing bonus point here given the lack of experience in the Leinster backs. But they'll fall short. Leinster by 7-9

Scarlets v Glasgow Warriors - Just enough continuity in the Warriors side in both forwards and backs for them to be highly competitive against the gradually improving Scarlets. Glasgow by 1-3

Last edited:
Benetton Treviso v Cardiff Blues - confused by what is going on with the Blues. When I saw them against Munster they looked really well coached, their personnel seemed strong but they have hit a real dip in form. Loads of Treviso starters on the bench in advance of international duty so it won't be four losses in a row for Cardiff. Blues by 14-16

Depth is a massive issue at the moment, particularly at tight head and second row. First team is strong enough when they are all out but its not sustainable across the season. We can't handle injuries/international windows. Against the Scarlets we couldn't handle missing Ellis Jenkins, Warbs, Josh Navidi and Nick Williams. Scarlets took advantage of that and played a very clever defensive game.

Ospreys, Cardiff had Garyn Smith at 13 and the defence went to pot. Not to mention Ospreys played an outstanding attacking game. Cardiff moving the right way, but need to get top 6 this year.

0-7 to Cardiff so far out in Italia.

Its been a fast and furious game so far. Edinburgh really looking sharp in that first 20. Ulster looked a bit shell shocked.

Munster vs Ospreys on iplayer if you change your settings to Wales. I've got three games on the go at the moment. Pro12 is a social life killer.

Haha me too my friend. Phone, TV and laptop on the go.

Missed first half in Treviso as thought they had no chance. Now it's a nailbiter. The mighty Tomasso Allan will see Treviso home and show he deserves my avatar photo!

Edinburgh so much easier on the eye without Solomons coaching. Hodge making a strong claim for the permanent job based on the style of play.

- - - Updated - - -

Another from Edinburgh. It's a rout!

- - - Updated - - -

And damnation! Treviso getting carved up by the two Kiwi centres. Best players on the park by a distance.

Amazing transformation for Edinburgh against what was a high flying Ulster.

Cardiff defence has been very poor. Would settle to come out of this with a win.

Sublime kick by Pienar for Piatau's disallowed try. Certainly no pro Irish refereeing here.
Sadly I'd settle for losing bonus for Treviso. It'd be more than I expected.

Don't lose heart Bruce. Took a World Class player to eventually put Trevisio down. Defence needs sorting out and fast - for both sides!

Deserved bonus point win for Munster. They were far superior in every aspect of play tonight. Kilkoyne was immense, very dynamic display from him.

Very disappointed with that display from the Ospreys. I thought they had put such abject performances behind them! Despite missing a lot of players, before the match I thought it was still a good enough side to go to Cork and win.

It highlighted a few things for me. Sam Parry was correctly overlooked for Wales, because the Ospreys lineout was shambolic. Munster certainly put a lot of pressure on, but most of the time it appeared as if Parry was intentionally throwing the ball to the Munster jumpers! Dan Evans' isn't international quality. He was exposed time after time under the high ball and positionally. He's a good regional player 95% of the time, but Gatland has been correct to overlook him. Lastly, Keelan Giles isn't ready to play international rugby. He probably still looked like the most dangerous player on the pitch, and if he were provided decent ball by his pack, I'm sure he would have shone; but tonight was a test of him on the back-foot, and he's got things to learn. He wasn't terrible, but he was exposed positionally during the first half, with Munster having great success kicking towards his wing. He'll get there I'm sure, but it was always premature for calls to see him play for Wales before he'd even faced a quality regional/provincial team first.

On another note, good to see the Blues and Dragons winning. Sounds like Haloholo had a good start to his Blues career!

I don't know what to say.

Apart from I'd like to see Neil Doak and Allen Clarke depart ASAP. They've been there for nigh on a decade now and there has been little sign of improvement across the board.

I don't know what to say.

Apart from I'd like to see Neil Doak and Allen Clarke depart ASAP. They've been there for nigh on a decade now and there has been little sign of improvement across the board.

I'm sure Ulster's best friend is taking note of what's happening. One David Nucifora. ;)

Looks like the top Welsh sides just can't compete with the Irish for strength in depth. Leinster and Glasgow must be delighted with recent results, they are looking strong favourites for the top two spots, which will guarantee Leinster full home advantage in the playoffs. Great to see all three bottom sides being competitive.

Any way to watch Leinster??

Aye, for me it's from behind the sofa cheering on Zebre using the link for the Treviso game in my first post. Use google chrome, with Hola VPN, select option to translate page then quickly register with an email account. Full streaming with Italian commentary.

- - - Updated - - -

I should say that kickoff should be 1605hrs GMT as the official Pro12 website always lists them in Italian time without saying.

Dammit. Zebre well up for this and knock on at the try line. I'll be disappointed if they don't come away with at least a losing bonus today.

Zebre with most of the territory but Leinster with two nice tries (wingers look decent) and lead by two points.

Latest posts