• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Guinness Pro 14 2018-19 Round 8

Surprised at the double win for the Scottish sides, I expect them to really struggle when they lose their internationals (like the Italians). Maybe the Scottish clubs are finally developing some depth?

Kings have put 30+ on Glasgow, Scarlets and Leinster and now score BPs for fun. Imagine what they'd do if they actually had a scrum. It has to be said that the SA crowds have got even worse this season though. It must be really troubling for the organisers.

In fairness, all three of those teams that faced the Kings were very much reserve teams, but I agree they're definitely improving. In fact, with the Italians and South Africans all improving, methinks it shall be the Dragons who'll win the wooden spoon this season and possibly for more to come.

Sorry meant Super Rugby. Yes Super Rugby is a better brand but not a big genwrator of financial revenue. ROG did great piece on it. That is the reason they try and cash the cow as much as possible with international games etc over there. Playing contracts also show that

Not sure if Super Rugby is a better "brand" any more. Obviously it was, however the SR "brand"/competition has been in decline for quiet some time. Due to multiple problems such as format, time zones, long traveling distance, lack of competitiveness, poor attendance and viewership. The scraping of Kings, Cheetahs and Force only highlighted its woes. There's a reason why it's future is so up in the air. And it may not be around in the future in its current format. Despite the strength of New Zealand. The PRO14 has had its troubles but is definitely on the way up. It may only be a matter of time before SA shifts all its teams north. SA wants to expand. SR doesn't allow this. Griquas & Pumas will be the next step I'd say in the transition up north.

It's always hard to know whether the saffers are improving. Kings seem to be. I'd wonder have the cheetahs gone back a bit. Both have had Currie cup distractions of late. The crowds at both are uninspiring but then it'll take some time to build interest.

The Big Crunch will be what teams are admitted when the pro14 gets two new saffers teams. If it's the pumas and gruicas as rumored it'll be a disaster unless both can start out bidding the big 4 (wp/sharks/bulls/lions) for quality players. The public are never fooled. Hopefully we can get one or two of that 4 it's be a massive lift for the longer term of the league.

The league has come on in leaps and bounds of late. It was brilliant to see the recent Munster Glasgow game. The more non-derby games where both sets of players actively dislike each other the better. Plus it was a cracking game.

More tv money, more sponsorship money and more apperance fees.

TV money from who? Eirsport? They'll have gone the way of Setanta in a couple of years. You'd think more people would be tuning in to watch the Bulls vs. Crusaders than Cheetahs vs. Leinster.

Sponsorship? Again, why? Mindshare penetration in Italy is marginal.

Appearance fees - don't understand what this means.

The Rand is very weak vs Angelas mighty €€€, but would that not correspond to weakness vs. $AUS and $NZ?
From memory the saffers are the "cash cow " of super rugby with the crowds and tv coverage. Both nz and oz making up the numbers in terms of financing it. Obviously not that way in terms of playing etc.

Shur the pro14 is held up by welsh tv money isn't it

FWIW I think the reason the pro14 went with eir sport/premier sport this time around is that they had to show their teeth to the free to air tv crew. RTÉ/tv3 and bbc etc would never stump up unless they realistically could miss out.

S4C only show the one game per weekend now, so not much money coming via them!

The main chunk of the cash is via the Premier Sports deal that came in this year, which reportedly gave each team a significant extra chunk of cash.

Whether or not that will be sustainable considering the relatively small profile of Premier Sports compared to BT/Sky remains to be seen.

I think the big lure for the SA sides would be the Golden Goose of the Heineken Cup. May sway the likes of Lions, Bulls etc.

I think the big lure for the SA sides would be the Golden Goose of the Heineken Cup. May sway the likes of Lions, Bulls etc.

Money talks eventually. But who of the pro14 are going to give up their spots in the euro cup. I can't see the English clubs particularly allowing an expansion of the European cup unless the money is right. The recent European wars have basically been hostile takeovers to squeeze the pro14 in one way. Brexit will be interesting also. Hard to know. I think a South African province playing an English/Irish/welsh team might be very attractive to a tv and viewers POV.

They will just end up letting more clubs in, 5 groups is a strange amount in the first place.

TV money from who? Eirsport? They'll have gone the way of Setanta in a couple of years. You'd think more people would be tuning in to watch the Bulls vs. Crusaders than Cheetahs vs. Leinster.

Sponsorship? Again, why? Mindshare penetration in Italy is marginal.

Appearance fees - don't understand what this means.
No tv money comes from the outlets who subcontract too such as TG4. Amd marketing sponsorship from sponsored print media too. Eir are pumping huge money but not the only source. Add in the league is backed by unions who secure and funds due to clubs.

And crazy enough in South Africa TV numbers for Pro 14 are beating Super Rugby comfortably duw to times I'd guess but still.

Latest posts