• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Guy Novès sacked

Not surprising really. His tactics for France are to just pick the heaviest team he can possibly field and try to batter his way to victory. France are a long way from the flair of the past and the old "which French side will turn up" is more often than not "the uncreative crap one".

Hope he gives it up now. He's the best club coach of all time and picked up a poison chalice with France, especially considering Laporte and him didn't get along. We might see a honeymoon period in the 6n, they'll probably beat us in Paris now given our history there, but the rot will set quicker than last time, the French national game plays second fiddle to the Top14.

Hope he gives it up now. He's the best club coach of all time and picked up a poison chalice with France, especially considering Laporte and him didn't get along.

Posted last year that Noves would be OUT by 2017 https://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/laporte-new-president-of-ffr.38499/#post-829094
Noves shud never have got involved with the union in the first place. Shameful treatment of a well respected coach.

We might see a honeymoon period in the 6n
honeymoon? BWAHAHA! we are right in the middle of a painful and costly country-club divorce. Costly for the union. FFR are in the process of losing their shirt over the national team.
Fans were walking out of the Stade de France during the last AIs and the team was booed v Japan. Laporte admitted they didn't fill the ground for the 2 games v SA and Japan. https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/xv-d...ne-pouvait-plus-durer._sto6455256/story.shtml

It's going to get ugly for the union because they need money to keep the show on the road. Fans are walking out. Next it'll be the sponsors and au revoir FFR...

Poisoned chalice. That's exactly what the job is. Nobody wants it. Rugbyrama reports that both Azema of Clermont and Collazo of La Rochelle were approached by Laporte and officially declined his offer. The clubs can block the release of their head coach if they want - Azema is under contract until 2020 and has stated no way he would leave his club in the middle of the season. Collazo and Garbajosa are ex-Toulouse and I'm sure they're not impressed with the shameful treatment of their former mentor. Basically FFR can just shag off. LNR will use the opportunity to stick another dagger into the union.

they'll probably beat us in Paris now given our history there
Previous record means nothing. The younger generation don't have the mental baggage the previous generations had from losing regularly in Paris. Ireland will win in Paris. Gimme game. I would not be surprise if they win by a big score going by their consistent test form and Leinster and Munster's form in Europe.Play the Schmidt pressure game they played v SA last November. Brunel's brigade will cough up every ball. Italy shud fancy their chance in Rome.

Last edited:
Posted last year that Noves would be OUT by 2017 https://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/laporte-new-president-of-ffr.38499/#post-829094
Noves shud never have got involved with the union in the first place. Shameful treatment of a well respected coach.

honeymoon? BWAHAHA! we are right in the middle of a painful and costly country-club divorce. Costly for the union. FFR are in the process of losing their shirt over the national team.
Fans were walking out of the Stade de France during the last AIs and the team was booed v Japan. Laporte admitted they didn't fill the ground for the 2 games v SA and Japan. https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/xv-d...ne-pouvait-plus-durer._sto6455256/story.shtml

It's going to get ugly for the union because they need money to keep the show on the road. Fans are walking out. Next it'll be the sponsors and au revoir FFR...

Poisoned chalice. That's exactly what the job is. Nobody wants it. Rugbyrama reports that both Azema of Clermont and Collazo of La Rochelle were approached by Laporte and officially declined his offer. The clubs can block the release of their head coach if they want - Azema is under contract until 2020 and has stated no way he would leave his club in the middle of the season. Collazo and Garbajosa are ex-Toulouse and I'm sure they're not impressed with the shameful treatment of their former mentor. Basically FFR can just shag off. LNR will use the opportunity to stick another dagger into the union.

Previous record means nothing. The younger generation don't have the mental baggage the previous generations had from losing regularly in Paris. Ireland will win in Paris. Gimme game. I would not be surprise if they win by a big score going by their consistent test form and Leinster and Munster's form in Europe.Play the Schmidt pressure game they played v SA last November. Brunel's brigade will cough up every ball. Italy shud fancy their chance in Rome.
By honeymoon period I meant with Brunel and the players but yeah, nothing to disagree with there. Good post!

By honeymoon period I meant with Brunel and the players but yeah, nothing to disagree with there. Good post!
Mignoni (Lyon) and Galthié (Toulon) have also turned down the job. Brunel's assistants are JB Ellisalde, Sebastien Bruno and Julien Bonnaire. Ellisalde is the only one with sound coaching experience. Bruno is on a 6-mth loan from his club Lyon. Bonnaire has never coached at pro level. So a part-timer and a beginner to coach at test level. Shows how well the union goes about its business doesn't it

The national team is broken.

Brunel is not going to perform any resurection. The FFR team has never looked more at sea.

The sacking of Noves did not go down well in Top 14 and with the fans. What's more FFR are suing Noves for misconduct. They're bonkers. All they're doing is alienate the clubs that bit more. Noves sacking has set a precedent that will not encourage Top 14 coaches from working with the union. This is playing right into the hands of LNR and the T14 presidents.

I feel sorry for the players who will be picked for this 6N. They've been caught in the union club crossfire for all their test career. And it's not like they have any prospect of silverware before calling it quits. They know they're starting from a long way behind to win the 6N. They're not blind to what's going on around them.

Players like Picamoles and Fofana have won nothing in almost 10 years - Louis is the only player that was part of the squad that won the last GS back in 2008. He was completely anonymous last November. Where's the incentive to go on?

It takes years to build a competitive test team with the right coaching structure. The union used to start from scratch every 4 years. Now they're down to 2. It's funny to hear Brunel has 2 years as if he had loads of time. So did Noves. He couldn't realistically turn things around in 2 yrs neither will Brunel.

The union is looking at their team's complete meltdown. The clubs are not going to save the day for them.

That makes for some pretty sad reading. What do you think would be the best solution? I actually really miss France being a regular competitor for the championship, as I'm sure you guys do x1000!

That makes for some pretty sad reading. What do you think would be the best solution? I actually really miss France being a regular competitor for the championship, as I'm sure you guys do x1000!

the solution? Central/Federal contracts for the internationals.

If the union wants a competitive test team for the next decade they have no alternative since they can't work with the clubs.

Bernard Jackman has a go at the French union. Hilarious and 100% true.
https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2018/0104/931128-slapped-together-france-no-threat-to-ireland/

Favourite bit: 'All those players going into the national squad will know that the environment is equipped with less experienced coaches than the one that's been sacked. That's not a good thing.'

Last edited:

Latest posts