• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gym

I haven't been to the gym now in 5 weeks (damn exams and then I got sick) hoping to start again full blast next week though.

you guys are all light weights!! I'm 121kg's, have a bit of a gut but the rest is pure muscle baby!!

Shin Splints is a pain in the ass!! especially if you don't live near the coast, then you need to find another type of surface soft enough to strengthen those little muscles around the shins.

No argument there! I believe the technical argument for my body shape is 'lanky streak of ****'.

But hey. I only started taking weights seriously about a couple of years ago, and have had a few periods of dramatic loss as well - I was 12 and a half then, so the times they are a changing...

Stone that is. Not years. Before any smartass says it.

Thought maybe one of you strapping lads might be able to help me here. I've started gymming again this month after a long break, everything is going pretty well. Just one problem, I seem to have hurt my forearm again. Last year I couldn't really exercise my biceps for about two months, maybe 3 because of my forearm getting really painful.

It only seems to start hurting when I've completed a bicep curl and lifted the weight up to my face-ish (you know at the top) I've been easily doing bicep curls and gradually going heavier, nothing I can't handle. But for some damn reason it started hurting again a bit this week, I don't want to be out of action again. Don't know whether this is tennis elbow or something.

Any advice?

Read a great article years ago in Flex or Muscle and Fitness... It was by some pro bodybuilder or another and he was explaining that bicep specific work outs are a waist of time as all they do is shape the muscle, promoting very little increase in size.

He explained that it is a far better option to perform a far more elaborate back (Latismus dorsi) workout and up the weight while doing so. His point was that the bicep gets a very good pump doing things like bent over dumbbell/barbell rows, Lat Pull downs (hammer grip in particular), seated row, chins etc. while also lifting considerably more weight than you would with for example curls... and we all know that the heavier the weight you lift the bigger the muscle growth.

I haven't performed a bicep work out in ten years but have 19 1/2 inch arms from following this principle.

I've dropped back to about 14st5 again since moving back home after uni (was hovering around 15st before).
Should probably start getting back in to the gym properly since I paid for a membership, but only been twice in the past three weeks :huh:

I've dropped back to about 14st5 again since moving back home after uni (was hovering around 15st before).
Should probably start getting back in to the gym properly since I paid for a membership, but only been twice in the past three weeks :huh:
Don't be soft , get hyoooogeee

Well I'm the runt of the forum <_<

Squats and cleans today, have the distinct feeling I'm not going to be able to walk tomorrow. Hoping to put on 5kgs... It's gonna be a long summer.

well i'm the runt of the forum <_<

squats and cleans today, have the distinct feeling i'm not going to be able to walk tomorrow. Hoping to put on 5kgs... It's gonna be a long summer.

squuuuaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttttttttttts

Whenever I do a legs session I can't walk properly for 4 days afterwards.
And no, boys, when I say 'legs session' I don't mean 'getting bummed'.

I dropped about the same over uni.. went from 15st7 to now around the 14st4-5 range, dropped weight eating less crap and more pasta based dishes.. Also my shoulder is now around 75% up to full strength, only 15kg less now than what I could do "easily" before the injury on the shoulder press ( I know it aint great free-weights are better but been doing that mixed in with free weights) Mainly as I cant think of many free weight exercises for shoulders bar replicating the shoulder press movements with a barbell or 2 dumbells.

I've started this insanity program hoping to burn fat currently at about 95kg looking to drop to about 90.

I've started this insanity program hoping to burn fat currently at about 95kg looking to drop to about 90.

Eat less, work out more :lol:

Good on you though- what does the programme actually involve?

As predicted I struggled to walk today- cleans are just unbearable. Out of interest is anyone else here under 20? Need to justify my runt status <_<

Eat less, work out more :lol:

Good on you though- what does the programme actually involve?

As predicted I struggled to walk today- cleans are just unbearable. Out of interest is anyone else here under 20? Need to justify my runt status <_<
19 here... 5'10 85kg.

...I'm the bloody runt :(

Try being 22, 5ft4 (and a half) and weighing 72kg's (11 stone / 160 pounds). Technically I am overweight. Recently starting going to the gym after two years out and I've lost a stone in four weeks. I only swim as I do not understand the free weights much and don't have a gym 'buddy' to keep an eye out on me.

It's called max interval circuit train i believe. It basically interval training but it incorporates strength and cardio work at the same time, it's bloody hard. It's all done using body weight and you don't need a lot of space to do it.

I'm 15, 95kg and 6'3 which makes you very runty :p

Nope, still winning (or is it losing when it comes to runtiness?): 18, 6'1 80kgs

... At least I can run a sub-12 100m ^_^

Try being 22, 5ft4 (and a half) and weighing 72kg's (11 stone / 160 pounds). Technically I am overweight. Recently starting going to the gym after two years out and I've lost a stone in four weeks. I only swim as I do not understand the free weights much and don't have a gym 'buddy' to keep an eye out on me.
I've a mate with about the same stats who is a top quality winger.. Do you play at all?

I've a mate with about the same stats who is a top quality winger.. Do you play at all?

Played up until three years ago when I started university. Only literally got back into the way of gym(ing) it as my fitness had gone to pot as well as a belly appearing. My position was scrum-half but I had a spell as a winger for three years due to my lack of left-to-right passing.

Latest posts