Gym

Sker

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Cheetahs
Thought maybe one of you strapping lads might be able to help me here. I've started gymming again this month after a long break, everything is going pretty well. Just one problem, I seem to have hurt my forearm again. Last year I couldn't really exercise my biceps for about two months, maybe 3 because of my forearm getting really painful.

It only seems to start hurting when I've completed a bicep curl and lifted the weight up to my face-ish (you know at the top) I've been easily doing bicep curls and gradually going heavier, nothing I can't handle. But for some damn reason it started hurting again a bit this week, I don't want to be out of action again. Don't know whether this is tennis elbow or something.

Any advice?

I used to get that pain too, you need to strengthen your forearms too as I think you have the same problem as i had in that your forearm muscles are right next to the bone in your forearm, and when you train, you pump extra blood into those muscles, causing them to swell a bit, and push against the bone, by strengthening those muscles, they'll push themselves a bit away from the bone, causing it not to hurt and then when it's pumped with blood, it has a bit of space to swell up...

What I did was to take a light barbell (about 5kg's) and then as you would do curls, do the same but with a reverse grip, or do a normal grip curl, but only use your wrists to lift the weight... It's gonna burn like hell the first few weeks you do it, but then you won't feel pain after it's stronger, it will also help the bicep muscles shaping closer to the elbow...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

See a physio or a doctor, internet diagnoses suck.

Aside from that, if it hurts don't do it.

This, go to a professional. Without meaning to be smart, people on the internets can easily be talking out of their arses. From personal experience it's worth paying a bit to see someone who knows their stuff.

mmm thanks guys, I think I should check with the doctor, before I hurt something long-term.

Don't be wasting your money with a Doctor mate keep doing it as you were ..only girls go to doctors...

Those are called gynecologists LN7

Agree with Heineken regarding strengthening Forearms as well. Your biceps may cope with the load, but your forearms could be flagging slightly when you up the weight. Good luck with your diagnosis though, hopefully its nothings serious.

Stopped going to the gym two months back and started YRG Yoga (Yoga for Regular Guys by Former Pro Wrestler). Don't see myself as a massive gym head, but the burns and results so far are way more intense than my old gym routines of the past. Not something you tell the other lads in the changing rooms, even my Mrs laughed at me when I said I've started manly yoga, but the gradual increase in my bodies flexibility is leaving me feeling a bit more "stable".

Good luck with your training :D

Thanks man :D

Trust me here in SA we need gym to let out our frustrations. Just look at Bakkies, bet he didn't gym enough. Hence him being a massive dick ;)

Things is I know the exercises you guys are talking about for the forearm, I've done them before (uuurgh hate it) but it doesn't feel like that's where it hurts after a while. If I hold my arm up infront of me, palm facing inwards toward my face. arm at 90 degree angle. Just above my elbow to the left, that part of the forearm. actually feels more like where it goes into the elbow. So it could actually be what Heineken is referring to with the blood pumping.

But it doesn't feel like I really exercise that part with those forearm exercises.

Last edited:
I've actually been bossing it recently at the gym...I weighed in at ****ing 85 kg today...I've put on a kg per week in 8 weeks...something is very very odd.

Maybe you're pregnant, or aliens abducted you in the middle of night and implanted a clone of SOB's fetus in you. 85 is pretty solid. I'm sitting on 74 atm, but I'm trying to lose fat and gain muscle. Food is so delicious though...

Another question, shin splints. ****ING OW. why? WHYYY MEEEEEE

SOB can probe away at me whenever he wants...

But yeah I'm pleased I had planned to cut when I got near 190 pds...but **** it , I'm going to keep going as I'm looking reasonably lean for the time being anyways

I learnt this fun new way to exercise triceps that makes me want to **** down my pants a little bit at a time, you pick up a barbell behind your back palms facing out, then you move it back and forth a few times. It sucks ass.

I've actually been bossing it recently at the gym...I weighed in at ****ing 85 kg today...I've put on a kg per week in 8 weeks...something is very very odd.

....celltech

Another question, shin splints. ****ING OW. why? WHYYY MEEEEEE
I get shin splints all. the. f***ing. time.
I once got them so bad (had them in the run up to a 7s tournament but decided to power through....) I got stress fractures in both shins!

....celltech

I once got them so bad (had them in the run up to a 7s tournament but decided to power through....) I got stress fractures in both shins!

how long until you could run and put pressure on them again?

Couldn't run from May until October/November, and then it wasn't great.
Walking was fine, as it was the impact that caused pain, though walking uphill was unpleasant due to the tightening of the shin muscle.
Stress fractures are odd things are there's nothing you can do for them, just grit your teeth until they decide to be better again.

....celltech

I'd ****ing love to... Money and the threat of the banhammer from rugby...along with my already somewhat receding hair line have turned me off it..for now.

Man you guys are quite light.. I've just weighed myself and I'm sitting at 101 kg, and I'm quite toned.

For the first time ever, I weighed in at touching distance of 14 stone (on a working pair of scales) yesterday. Just a pound under.

Makes up for not being able to go the gym due to doing something to a pectoral in my sleep!

I haven't been to the gym now in 5 weeks (damn exams and then I got sick) hoping to start again full blast next week though.

you guys are all light weights!! I'm 121kg's, have a bit of a gut but the rest is pure muscle baby!!

Shin Splints is a pain in the ass!! especially if you don't live near the coast, then you need to find another type of surface soft enough to strengthen those little muscles around the shins.

Latest posts