• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gym

Hoping to get back on the squats train on Wednesday, will finally have a spotter for once...

Man, I haven't properly been to the gym for two years. I've not had the time whilst doing a masters degree. I did go a couple of times after Christmas, and I realised how much muscle I'd lost. Down from benching 40kg dumbbells to struggling with 22.5kg ones! Judging by the scales I've lost well over a stone of muscle.

Once I've moved back to Aberystwyth I'm hoping to start going again, although little Rowan might hinder that. Hope muscle memory serves me well, and I can quickly regain some of what I've lost.

Squatted 120kg. Considering my knee stronger than ever. Swole.
Niiiiiice,
Dislocated mine in may and have squatted once since - knee held up fine but I was weaker than cyRil (if that's humanly possible?)

Been going to the gym so sporadically recently - job is really just killing my soul. When I'm on a 6-14 shift I'm too knackered after to lift properly (my gym is tiny/run by one guy, so shuts early and I'd have to go pretty sharpish after work) and on a 14-22 shift I always sleep too late.
Just lacking motivation atm, I guess. When I get into it I proper love and want to go 24/7, it's just when I have some time off, getting back into the swing of things is a ball ache.

Never have time off again Olyy. Problem solved.

I've got my motivation from my coach saying the main thing I need to do to have a shot at the first team is just get stronger. So this is being typed in between shoulder press sets.

BG8, can you post what you're currently lifting? I figure finding out just how much weaker I am than someone still in school should also be great motivation.

Easier said than done :p
Got the alarm set for early tomorrow, so I'll start from then!

Yeah love doing legs.

Btw re-reading that I'm not sure it's very clear I weigh 105kg I squat 140 for sets 0f 3. :) (vanity wins again)

I weigh 82kg, I squat 180kg. (Vanity wins again)

4otcyaw.gif

I weigh 82kg, I squat 180kg. (Vanity wins again)

Lovely good for you, I'm hoping to get to that or around 200 in the next few years as I'm still only 17 and been lifting 2 years. (Tbh I'm not entirely sure what part of my post you're specifically taking the **** out of.)

BG8, can you post what you're currently lifting? I figure finding out just how much weaker I am than someone still in school should also be great motivation.

Ok if you want, I'm sure you're probably doing more in some lifts I'm not entirely sure what lifts you want also the current program we're doing is 6-5-4-4, 5-4-3-3, 4-3-2-2

Never really gone for 1 rep max so not really certain. I'll hazard a guess for some core lifts.

I'd say bench probably a not so good for my size 90, frontsquat 120, backsquat 145-150, trap deadlift 170, bb deadlift 145 and clean 85 at a guess. Not particulary impressive I guess (there goes the vanity rats ;) ) compared to some other guys in schools rugby.

Last edited:
Wasn't taking the **** out of anything mate

...more a sarcastic pop at my own ego, if anything.

Last edited:
How much can you bench press?

Regards

Last edited:
Saw on twitter that Topsy Ojo reps 240kg on the ol' squats.
Insane for a back!

I'm a lord of squats... absolute lord.

Them gainz mothe****ers... I'm getting back lean at the moment and feeling like a sex god. very good.

Saw on twitter that Topsy Ojo reps 240kg on the ol' squats.
Insane for a back!

...that's 40kgs more than my best deadlift, and 60kgs more than my front squat and I'm a 110kg front rower...

I'm pretty sure thats what Ben Franks squats...

My Coach used to Squat 240..he's a freak.

I can't barbell back squat anymore. Since I pop'd my sholder, every time it always leads to reinjuring it within seconds. I front squat much better.

I've been trying to improve doing standing military press but no one in the gym seems to do them so I never know if I've got my technique right. Certainly a fun lift though.

I find I compensate too much when I do Standing shoulder work , Seated Arnie press or standard shoulder press is my baby :p

There is that temptation to bounce with the knees when doing military press, particularly when pressing your limits. I know I do it. I do like doing military shoulder press though, it is fun.

Latest posts